Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to make the jump and reload 9mm major in a glock

Mahlsan

I am going to make the jump to 9mm major. I have access to berry's bullets popular weights, the powder will either be imr-pb or autocomp. It will be in a glock 17, storm lake barrel. Looked throughout the forums trying to find load data. I also have some bayou bullets, but I think that they are really not suited to major.. Thanks for the help in advance.

PB might be too fast to try for Major power factor. Autocomp works and many folks here use it for that purpose. Try a search for 9 Major and Autocomp.

The coated bayou bullets might be okay for Major. Someone here has probably tried them and can advise you.

Start 124 grain bullets, at 6 grains WAC, at as long an OAL as you can fit thru your

mags/chamber, and work up very slowly with a chrono. :cheers:

There can be problems even if they do fit in the chamber. Mine would fit in the chamber but when I would unload and show clear the bullet would stay and the case would come out.

Start 124 grain bullets, at 6 grains WAC, at as long an OAL as you can fit thru your

There can be problems even if they do fit in the chamber. Mine would fit in the chamber but when I would unload and show clear the bullet would stay and the case would come out.

Then you didn't seat them deep enough. There should be clearance between the bullet and the lands. It's not just "will they fit." It's "will they fit properly with clearance."

I have loaded 9 Major with 6.8 gr of Autocomp with a 125 gr Zero JHP and also with a MG 124 JHP loaded at 1.145" OAL with Winchester small pistol primers in my Glock 17 open gun. The gun is set up with a KKM gunsmith fit barrel and a Jager 4-port comp with a slide mounted Docter sight. The load works in my gun, but as always, start lower and work up to check that your set-up can handle the rigors of the 9 Major load.

Built my own Open Glock 34, KKM barrel, sjc 11 hole comp... it eats montana gold 124 RN over 6.6 gr of IMR sr7625 .. oal 135 to 145 becase of mix brass... fix'ed up an old siverwhear box as a dissplay box

post-51591-0-37160000-1406607081_thumb.j

I tried Berry's 124's with AutoComp for major, the main thing I discovered was that the plated bullets (Berry's) are very sensitive to "crimp". My accuracy was poor till I started backing off the crimp and accuracy started to return, still not satisfied though. I backed off the load and started testing again. My Open G17 has a L/W barrel and Carver Major comp, maybe it's the barrel, but I am not satisfied with the accuracy yet. In a "Minor" caliber load, the accuracy is good, but start increasing the velocity and it starts opening up. I have not yet done any testing with Montana Gold complete metal jacket bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

I was having the same problem with some moly coated bullets. They would chamber check good and the overall length was in tolerance. Factory crimp also in tolerance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm going to bring this one back to the top.

I am looking at getting the Lone Wolf/ Carver major comp deal that he has on his website (saves you several dollars over buying them separate). I have read somewhere (of course now I can't find it anywhere) that lone wolf barrels need to get reamed from the factory because the chamber is too short.

The load I am gonna be shooting for would be 115 or 124 gr Hi-Tek coated, at about 1.14-15. It seems more people shoot 124/5's in glocks than in 2011's, is there a reason? It seems like a 115 would give you more space in the case for more powder?

If I used 124s though then I could use them for production also however....

Edited by Gooldylocks

I'm running that barrel/comp combo from carver. I tried the hi-tek type bullets and had trouble with them dropping into the chamber. With MG's I can put a little more crimp and don't have a problem. The chamber does seem to be pretty tight. LW says to send them the barrel and a few dumby rounds. And for $30 they will recut your chamber to your bullets. I think it was $30 anyway. I'll probably have mine done this winter.

I'd like to try 115's I just don't think they will work with the powder I have on hand. When the powder supply gets better I will start experimenting with different loads.

Edited by Racinready300ex

He told me the same thing. I thought I was crazy, but I found some old threads with people talking about the same issue. But if you run jacketed bullets with a good crimp you will be fine as is. But with the Hi-Tek coatings you don't want to cut through the coating when you crimp.

I'm running 125 MG CMJ over 6.7 gr of 7625. I tried some blue bullets and really liked them, but they wouldn't drop into the chamber. I guess that's called the drop test? They shot fine, but I wouldn't run them like that. I will just get my barrel reamed. The price difference between MG's and coated bullets is pretty steep.