Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another open major caliber poll!

DrLove

So with some of my latest problems reloading 9major, I've been interested in finding out how many open shooters still shoot 38super and how many took the hard way, in my opinion, and shoot 9Major due to brass limitations. There are just way more variables in reloading 9 major than there are in reloading 38super. So open shooters, what do you guys shoot?

I am amazed that more people are not shooting the 9X23. It has a very stout case that can easily make major with no drama and pressure to spare. It loads easily, can accept a wide variety of bullet weights, feeds reliably, and can use 38 Super magazines. A lot to like really... That would be my vote.

If I can load 9mm major (I'm all thumbs and can't get screws Back Into Things) -

ANYBODY can load 9mm major.

Not any harder to load than .38 super. :sight:

Agreed! Loading 9MAJOR is no different than loading minor to me

Hello: I still don't see the problem reloading 9mm major? I use Winchester primers either WSR, WMSP or regular small pistol. Bullets I use Montana Gold 115grain JHP. Powders I use HS-6, Silhouette, or Winchester Auto Comp. I load to 1.170"OAL with the 115's or 121's. When I pick up unknown range brass I do roll size it on my Case Pro. After that I mark my brass and reload like normal. I can normally reload the brass 5-9 times but will shoot it until it splits or I lose it. I do reload on a Dillon RL1050. Thanks, Eric

I am amazed that more people are not shooting the 9X23. It has a very stout case that can easily make major with no drama and pressure to spare. It loads easily, can accept a wide variety of bullet weights, feeds reliably, and can use 38 Super magazines. A lot to like really... That would be my vote.

The original Winchester 9X23 brass is very strong. The Starline brass is not.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2014/06/10/cartridge-review-9x23-winchester/

Maybe I'm the only idiot who still doesn't know how to reload 9 major!! That being said, I still see a lot of 38 super shooters out there so some people still feel 38 super is the correct caliber to shoot in open :)

Dr Love: You are not an idiot, we are just trying to help you out. Don't be afraid of loading up some more 9mm major and giving it a try. If you can maybe try someone else's reloads or even factory minor loads. It may not be your reloads but the pistol? My pistol will shoot major or minor just the way it is. Thanks, Eric

Starline 9x23 not strong? I have a hard time believing that. I've ran it up to 182 PF testing and it looked and held together fine.

Does your gun have a fully supported chamber or does it have a chamber that does not offer full case support?

Did you read the article at the link?

Maybe I'm the only idiot who still doesn't know how to reload 9 major!! That being said, I still see a lot of 38 super shooters out there so some people still feel 38 super is the correct caliber to shoot in open :)

No such thing as the "correct" caliber. Caliber selection is based on several criteria., the usual reasons being cost and safety. The cost is obvious and depends on what the shooter is willing to spend on brass.

The 9mm's reduced case capacity - when loaded to 9mm-typical lengths - reduces the number of gunpowders that can be used "safely" because pressure start getting pretty high. That does not mean that the 9mm can't be used safely. It can, but it requires that the handloader follows safe loading procedures and chooses bullets, powder and OAL wisely.

Superdude, I see where you are coming from now. In the right gun Starline is fine. I guess in a regular 1911 type firearms maybe not. I just automatically think competition guns when I'm on here.

Superdude, I see where you are coming from now. In the right gun Starline is fine. I guess in a regular 1911 type firearms maybe not. I just automatically think competition guns when I'm on here.

And that is understandable. I image that Starline thinks that way too, and expects that most people that buy from them are competitors, and we nearly all have guns in that caliber range (9mm/38) that were built for competition and therefore have fully supported chambers. Starline's 9X23 brass is perfectly safe in one of these. It's only when their brass is used in an unsupported chamber that it becomes an issue.