Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone run a still run DOH for limited?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to bump your gun out of the holster and get DQed as you sit down on the stool to start the stage? (Sort of a joking, but really not). What you lose is a fraction of a second on your draw and possibly less wear on the finish of your pistol. What you gain is better retention in certain situations and if you shoot anything but Open in 3G the similarity of equipment. My personal views is that there are so few stages where we just draw and engage a target rather than spinning or moving someplace else. I don't think the time savings is really that big a deal. If you shoot Steel Challenge then I do think it is worth the time you will save.

The ability to bump your gun out of the holster and get DQed as you sit down on the stool to start the stage? (Sort of a joking, but really not). What you lose is a fraction of a second on your draw and possibly less wear on the finish of your pistol. What you gain is better retention in certain situations and if you shoot anything but Open in 3G the similarity of equipment. My personal views is that there are so few stages where we just draw and engage a target rather than spinning or moving someplace else. I don't think the time savings is really that big a deal. If you shoot Steel Challenge then I do think it is worth the time you will save.

The ability to bump your gun out of the holster and get DQed as you sit down on the stool to start the stage? (Sort of joking, but really not). What you lose is a fraction of a second on your draw and possibly less wear on the finish of your pistol. What you gain is better retention in certain situations and if you shoot anything but Open in 3G the similarity of equipment. My personal view is that there are so few stages where we just draw and engage a target rather than spinning or moving someplace else. I don't think the time savings is really that big a deal. If you shoot Steel Challenge then I do think it is worth the time you will save.

Edited by Neomet

Only 1 DQ for me with an open holster so far. I have DQd 3 guys whose gun fell out ln a weird start because they didn't half-lock it.

I still running openholster in limited since I already paid for it

I think it comes down to personal preference. I started out using a Safariland holster and Open pistol. Never a problem with a dropped gun and always felt secure using it. Because of that I now use Safariland 014 for open and limited.

I did try a Ghost Holster and had 2 dropped guns and never felt secure using it.

To answer your question, the holster will not make enough of a difference as far as time. There are plenty of places on a stage where you can save more time for no cost.

1. Use what you feel comfortable and secure using first.

2. You can get a very good draw with any holster if you practice.

3. When you get to the point you want to try something different ask someone to let you try theirs.

4. Realize a holster will not make you a better shooter, it is just part of the gear required to shoot.

Thinking about it some more, the other place it will give you some benefit is a lot of classifiers. Some of them like Can You Count are nothing but measurements of draw and reload speed and as so quick that the tenths matter.

Some classifieds and steel matches reward race holsters. But how many stages at big matches are a speed draw? Many require or allow movement during the draw, are table starts, unloaded starts etc.

Some classifieds and steel matches reward race holsters. But how many stages at big matches are a speed draw? Many require or allow movement during the draw, are table starts, unloaded starts etc.

Agree. I did think of the quicky classifiers though after saying the only advantage they had was for SC. Heck, out of 4 stages at our local weekend matches there normally is at least one table start.

I use a DOH since I jump back and forth from Lim to Prod. Aside from the speed of the draw from an open holster, you would also be able to use a *thumb rest [generic]*/thumb rest in Limited with an open holster.

I always use the DOH, since I play in Production and Limited/L-10.

I've tried the open type holsters, but my draw always felt "awkward".

I felt like I was drawing the same way I would with the DOH.

I think I'm too used to the pouch style.

Edited by tnpyeron3

looking at pictures of the 2013 Limited Nationals it looks like National Champion Nils Jonason is using a Bladetech holster without even the DOH attachment as far as I can tell.

(see pictures on liveshots.net website which is run by a forum member)

Eric

looking at pictures of the 2013 Limited Nationals it looks like National Champion Nils Jonason is using a Bladetech holster without even the DOH attachment as far as I can tell.

(see pictures on liveshots.net website which is run by a forum member)

Eric

I wonder if it's because he shoots single stack as well and wants to keep the same feel for where his pistols sit?

I use a DOH Bladetech for my Glock 34 limited rig. I plan to switch to a DA Racemaster as somepoint within the next year as I will also be shooting Open and I want to use the same rig. (I'll also be shooting a glock in Open.)

I had used a CR Speed since I started shooting five years ago. I couldn't get one of mine to hold my new Tanfo Ltd securely enough and so decided to use an open front BladeTech for a match last week. I had no prior experience with the holster and on the fourth stage thought I had reholstered securely at the command but obviously not as the gun hit the ground and I got a my first ever DQ. What I'm saying is that regardless of the holster style, we can't get casual with the holster fit or get distracted and blow it.