Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dies for Glocked Brass?

I plan on get a Dillon 550, and will be using it for my G34 and G35 (minor & major).

Since all of my brass will be "glocked" - should I buy non-Dillon dies like the Lee 4-Die Deluxe Set with Carbide Factory Crimp Die?

Or buy Dillon Dies and also a EGW Undersize Die?

What is the best plan for my dollar?

I run a 650 with the lee die set. 90% of my brass is glocked. I run my loads in a 22 with a kkm barrel and have zero issues with feeding. My Lee's have served me well. I have not run the other setup you mentioned so cannot help you there.

Your best plan for your dollar would be get the Lee set. I have it set up on my 650 and when set up properly it sizes my Glocked brass perfectly and shoots fine in my non-Glock handguns. No need for a U die or any undersized die.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I plan on get a Dillon 550, and will be using it for my G34 and G35 (minor & major).

Since all of my brass will be "glocked" - should I buy non-Dillon dies like the Lee 4-Die Deluxe Set with Carbide Factory Crimp Die?

Or buy Dillon Dies and also a EGW Undersize Die?

What is the best plan for my dollar?

I have G22, G27, G34, and G35 and use Dillion 9mm and 40SW dies with my 550 and have not had one issue with "glock brass". I just make sure my re-sizing die is all the way down and no issues. I have loaded thousands of 9mm and 40SW wiith mixed brass without any problems.

Your best plan for your dollar would be get the Lee set. I have it set up on my 650 and when set up properly it sizes my Glocked brass perfectly and shoots fine in my non-Glock handguns. No need for a U die or any undersized die.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Guess I'll have to reset my Lee on my 650, get a handful every couple hundred that won't gauge.

I run glocked 9mm and 9 major through my 650 but I do use the U-die in station 2 and the regular Dillon 9mm die in station 1. I believe all the rounds would work in my guns without the U-die however they won't all pass the case gauge without the U-die.

You really don't have to worry about the G34. I have a 550, and have never had a round of 9mm not pass case gage after being sized by the Dillon die. Case gaging issues with 9mm have always been related to the bullet. If you do have any that don't pass case gage, pull it, run it through the same dillon die again, and you'll find that piece of brass drops in a case gage (even an EGW one) perfectly.

Now .40 can be a whole different matter.

"Glocked" brass doesn't mean all calibers of Glocks. The primary culprit of "Glocked" brass is .40S&W and only certain generations of Glocks that had poorly supported chambers. I have never seen one bulged case from my 9mm and .45 Glocks.

I run range pick up brass through my square deal without any issues to feed all of 9mm glocks. Before having a dedicated 9mm press, i loaded on the 550 using Dillon dies and never had a problem.

You really don't have to worry about the G34. I have a 550, and have never had a round of 9mm not pass case gage after being sized by the Dillon die. Case gaging issues with 9mm have always been related to the bullet. If you do have any that don't pass case gage, pull it, run it through the same dillon die again, and you'll find that piece of brass drops in a case gage (even an EGW one) perfectly.

Now .40 can be a whole different matter.

I never had issues on my 550. My 650 is the problem child that gives me the occasional fat boy.

Someone will give you a better answer, but the glock barrels have a looser chamber, so the brad expands more than it would when fired from a different pistol. I believe this was intentional by glock to make the gun more reliable.

But long story short, brass fired from a G22 will be oversized compared to other platforms. When reloading this brass for those other platforms, resizing is more important to get right.

Edited by b1gcountry

"Glocked" brass doesn't mean all calibers of Glocks. The primary culprit of "Glocked" brass is .40S&W and only certain generations of Glocks that had poorly supported chambers. I have never seen one bulged case from my 9mm and .45 Glocks.

re read this post, this is the answer!

I skimmed most this thread and jumped to post earlier.... lol

I just followed several old links/ stickies regarding "glocked" brass....WOW there is much to read, and lots of people with a LOT of opinions, and scenarios to fix the 'problem'... I have to admit this is the first time I've ever even heard of this, same token I've never reloaded either...

I'm getting a press soon and will try the dillon dies it comes with and will check each round in the gage just to be sure... most reloading videos I've seen they just load 100 or so and reach in and grab a few rounds put it in gage and call the whole batch good...

do you guys check each round??

I'd suggest using the chamber of the barrel (out of gun) you plan to shoot them in as a check device. I'd also only do it for match ammo, if it happens in practice, it's good training in gun clearing practices.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought range brass to load my 40 S&W. Using a SDB I had about 30% fail to pass the gauge. I single sized a couple hundred rounds with my RCBS carbide die, then loaded with the SDB. My fail rate dropped to about 5%. My caliper indicates about .002" larger. The "no go" rounds seem to go thru my M&P hand cycling. I'll get to the range in a few days to try the "no go" rounds.

I run all brass thru my custom built sizer..... up to 3k per hour. You won't size the and base using the standard sizing dies from any manufacturer.

You have to either "roll size" or "push thru size".

My sizer takes care of the "bulge" and rim.

Edited by Kaskillo

I run all brass thru my custom built sizer..... up to 3k per hour. You won't size the and base using the stander sizing dies from any manufacturer.

You have to either "roll size" or "push thru size".

My sizer takes care of the "bulge" and rim.

What kind of sizer do you have?

As for the OP your advice thus far is correct. Either roll size or push through size are the only way to guarantee range or glocked brass will gauge. For me I push through sized for a few thousand rounds and then found a case pro used. Now all I use the push through die for is a stand.

Gt.