Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA 3-Gun Nationals 2005

As Scott said He was a little disapointed in the stage design.

We were on time for the most part. The stages appeared simple but you had to think on the BEST way to shoot. Most of the commoners like myself didn't smoke any stages. The good guys are just good and the mid-class people need stages like this to want to come back. I think if they make stages harder they need to cut the total number of stages down.

This was a perfect match in my opinion. And we all had our problems and our stellar ;) performances.

Good job guys

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was my first Nationals. Had a great time. Almost all of the ROs were very nice and helpfull. A couple seemed like they were looking for trouble but others stood out for there good attitudes. I got to sing and dance with one RO on stage 11. He seemed like he was having a blast and I think that really makes a stage fun even when you have some screw ups like I did. Kudos to that man and thank you very much sir.

I do think the stages were too straight up. I thing some more complicated stages mixed in would really jaz up the whole match, but I know those types of stages can also cause a bottleneck. How to balance I havent' a clue yet!

This match did seem to run smooth and I think that is a great accomplishment that all involved should be proud of IMO.

Thank you to all that helped in putting on a very fun and successful match.

I will be back again next year.

1C

I do think the stages were too straight up.  I thing some more complicated stages mixed in would really jaz up the whole match, but I know those types of stages can also cause a bottleneck.  How to balance I havent' a clue yet!

Anyone got any comments on Stage 6 (the big slug stage)? The reason I'm asking is I overheard some comments around it that it just was not very 'practical' and that it cost too much to shoot because of all the slugs (of course it cost some way more than others because of those 45m plates :( ).

Please keep in mind that I did not design it, I just ran it... ;)

Brian Hanna - CRO Stage 6

BDH

I really enjoyed stages #1, #6, and #11. Mainly because of the slug shooting. Stage #6 was really enjoyable because it let you know how well you can control a shotgun in full recoil. If I remember right there was 17 slugs shot on that stage.

Awesome.

Federal Power Ball Slugs - yeah baby!!

$3.50/box for five slugs x 4 boxes = $14 smackers. Yeah, that's too much to spend, NOT!

BDH, your stage was fun, not too complicated and actually rather easy to run as a competitor. There were options in engagement procedure and it was a good test of thinking on your feet. Not practical! Heck, I can't remember very practical stages at very many matches, ever. The RM3G doesn't have "practical" stages either. Practical stages are best simulated with 5-10 round, speedshoots on full targets at arms length distances ;-)

--

Regards,

Anyone got any comments on Stage 6 (the big slug stage)? The reason I'm asking is I overheard some comments around it that it just was not very 'practical' and that it cost too much to shoot because of all the slugs (of course it cost some way more than others because of those 45m plates :( ).

DO AWAY WITH THE 3 PLATES........

Guess my dot was off at that range....Took me 34 slugs to do half the stage. Still didn't get all of them. :blink:

Really it was a good stage and I didn't prepare for it.

I threw the door open with my left hand while the right hand was grabbing the shotgun, then stuck my foot through to keep it from slamming back closed. Worked well for me.

The slug plates caused me to do an extra reload before the last paper array, but much as Rob said about his difficulty there, it was my own damned fault I could not hit them with one shot each real fast. Put the dot on the plate before pulling trigger, gotta remember that ;-)

--

Regards,

Just to test people I thought they should have put the plates on stage 6 at about 75-100 yds. Yea I know we would have had about 100 complainers but you need to have a good 100 yds zero on the shotgun and that did not get tested in this match.

Scott

Scott,

Just because you spent so much time finding sights and getting a zero at 100 yds for your shotgun doesn't mean everyone wants to :P

The stages were a little less complicated than I had expected (not to say that I tore them up or anything). But for a nationals level match to only have 6 rifle shots over 100 yds is really inexcusable. There were no moving targets, save for the texas star, for the shotgun, and why have a mover for the rifle that noone will shoot?

Anyway, I think the new rules worked out well and the match scoring seemed to be fairly smooth and easily applied by the RO's as well. I'll be back.

Take care, Craig

I liked the long slug shots. I covered the plates with the fiber optic on the front sight and went three for three. I squated down and used used the port for support though.

I messed up on the long rifle shots on stage 10. I used three thirty round mags on that stage, should have taken the penalties and moved on.

All,

Thx for the stage 6 feedback! Watching competitors shoot the plates was really wild. Some used the port as support and fired multiple slugs with 0 hits (I think the record was 21... ouch! :( ), while others ran up and just shot them 1 - 2 - 3 offhand! Awesome! One of the worst things I saw was a competitor struggling on the plates (that should not have been), only to learn after the end of his run, that he lost his front FO sight mid-stage, and before engaging the plates.. :o

As for the table position... yeah, I hear ya, and maybe inside the door would have been better. However, everyone ran the same stage, and while I was a little worried about competitors hanging the muzzle (or extended tube) on the door frame, everyone got through there with no issues (although, my heart skipped a beat or two a couple of times)....

Hope to see all of you somewhere next year! ;)

I liked the shotgun pickup being on the outside of the door for just that reason. Same reason I liked the start position outside the closed door on the house clearing rifle stage. You're gonna' hafta' figure out how to do this safely sometime in your competition shooting life.

Anyone got any comments on Stage 6 (the big slug stage)? The reason I'm asking is I overheard some comments around it that it just was not very 'practical' and that it cost too much to shoot because of all the slugs (of course it cost some way more than others because of those 45m plates  :( ).

Please keep in mind that I did not design it, I just ran it...  ;)

I think it was a good stage since I did go 3 for 3 on the plates with a borrowed 1100 and bead sights (Thanks John) :DVideo

I liked the layout and target placement. It wasn't overly complicated, but not exactly easy either. Just enough rope to hang yourself with as they say. I did see a lot of people get hung up on the door though. Mostly those open guys with the long shotguns :P

However, most slug stages get carried away with the round count (CA 3Gun Series at 5 Dogs, 30+ slugs IIRC) and it can be sort of pricy to shoot those. The round count on this was good, but I'd like to see 1 slug per target in the future, a bit more practical IMO.

And NO we don't need ANY 100 yard slug shots. I have a real rifle for that. :)

Edited by Chris

Shot my very first Nationals, no longer a nationals virgin ;) My congratulations to the division winners and kudos for those who made it happen. Many thanks to the ROs and to George for the pictures. So sorry for the competitors who got DQed, I feel you guys! Since it was my very first, I think it was an awesome match; location was great the weather was perfect (got really windy Saturday afternoon though) and the stages were well-balanced IMHO. Half of the stages I think I did good as a first timer, the other half is just mikes and penalties. I like all the stages, 6 and 10 made me realize how off my sights were on my SG and rifle. So nice to meet other shooters and get to see the shooting superstars. Can't wait for next year!

Isn't it interesting that out of the 9 total DQ's, 5 were seniors?

Down here in Florida, we're not only cranky, we're also the worst drivers and the pokiest grocery shoppers.

Some of us old guys need to sharpen up.

I'm starting tomorrow.

Anyone got any comments on Stage 6 (the big slug stage)? The reason I'm asking is I overheard some comments around it that it just was not very 'practical' and that it cost too much to shoot because of all the slugs (of course it cost some way more than others because of those 45m plates  :( ).

Please keep in mind that I did not design it, I just ran it...  ;)

I think it was a good stage since I did go 3 for 3 on the plates with a borrowed 1100 and bead sights (Thanks John) :DVideo

I liked the layout and target placement. It wasn't overly complicated, but not exactly easy either. Just enough rope to hang yourself with as they say. I did see a lot of people get hung up on the door though. Mostly those open guys with the long shotguns :P

However, most slug stages get carried away with the round count (CA 3Gun Series at 5 Dogs, 30+ slugs IIRC) and it can be sort of pricy to shoot those. The round count on this was good, but I'd like to see 1 slug per target in the future, a bit more practical IMO.

And NO we don't need ANY 100 yard slug shots. I have a real rifle for that. :)

I have to agree that one slug per target would be plenty, but it was fun dbl taping slugs :)

:D:D