Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a weaponlight as a frame weight for limited

Givo08

Frame weights have been legal in limited for a year and a half. Flashlights are illegal in limited. All Amidon did was clarify that as long as the weapon light is no longer capable of emitting light, it can be used as a frame weight without violating the flashlight rule. This seems like common sense, why all the outrage?

All the chest-thumping and belly-bucking aside (this is benos.com, after all :P ), it's DNOI's interpretation that matters. it's not capable of emitting light (whether you call it a flashlight, a kumquat, or a kangaroo), and that seems to be the defining aspect of the device.

Now, let's argue/discuss what the meaning of "is" is...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is gonna be thread drift and i apologize (but not really), but can you have a light and shoot in limited division at night matches? I have searched Benos and Google both, but can't find any kind of definitive answer. There is a night match coming up locally in a couple months and I wanted to shoot my Limited gun, but don't know if it is gonna bump me to open.

So this is gonna be thread drift and i apologize (but not really), but can you have a light and shoot in limited division at night matches? I have searched Benos and Google both, but can't find any kind of definitive answer. There is a night match coming up locally in a couple months and I wanted to shoot my Limited gun, but don't know if it is gonna bump me to open.

Direct your question to the MD - he'll fill you in on the rules for that match. Let me know if you need help contacting him.

That in itself kinda answers the question for me, thanks. I was more wondering if there was an official (or even pseudo-official) division rule list for night matches. I shot the rifle match last year and was in open, since I had a gun light (with an otherwise Limited/tac ops legal gun). So I was just wondering if it was kinda the same deal. I will shoot him a text and see what he says.

I am planning on shooting my limited gun regardless, so it doesn't really make much of a difference i suppose!

As someone who has experimented with all kinds of things to add to a pistol looking for an advantage this makes no sense to me. It would be easy to design a weight that IMO, would be more effective as a frame weight than a gutted flashlight filled with lead or whatever.

That leaves the possibility that the look of the add on device is important. Could it be that since the tactical guys carry flashlights on their pistols as a general policy, a flashlight hanging off a Glock just looks like another tactical Glock to the average viewer. That same average viewer might come away with an entirely different opinion if say the Glock appears to need some kind of special fancy custom add on weight to be competitive with the other brands. Or I could be entirely wrong.

As someone who has experimented with all kinds of things to add to a pistol looking for an advantage this makes no sense to me. It would be easy to design a weight that IMO, would be more effective as a frame weight than a gutted flashlight filled with lead or whatever.

That leaves the possibility that the look of the add on device is important. Could it be that since the tactical guys carry flashlights on their pistols as a general policy, a flashlight hanging off a Glock just looks like another tactical Glock to the average viewer. That same average viewer might come away with an entirely different opinion if say the Glock appears to need some kind of special fancy custom add on weight to be competitive with the other brands. Or I could be entirely wrong.

The main reason I would consider this is not for the look, but because the light companies have figured out how to make a robust mounting system to the frame rails. I've seen a few sjc frame weights fly down range under recoil and there are several threads on this forum discussing how to modify the sjc mounting system to get it to stay on. The other advantage a standard light body has is that several of the holster makers like blade tech, safariland, comptac, etc have off the shelf options for most guns with popular light configurations.

That in itself kinda answers the question for me, thanks. I was more wondering if there was an official (or even pseudo-official) division rule list for night matches.

In the few night matches I've shot.. there's only been 'Open' division.. regardless of your equipment

That in itself kinda answers the question for me, thanks. I was more wondering if there was an official (or even pseudo-official) division rule list for night matches.

In the few night matches I've shot.. there's only been 'Open' division.. regardless of your equipment
Yea I kinda figured that might be the case, at the night rifle match that I shot I think they only had Limited (no light) and open (lasers, lights, anything).

• 1 month later...

Will the weapon light on the gun also be legal for limited division in steel challenge, since its now legal for USPSA limited division? Didn't know if it was technically OK for one, if would still be OK for the other.

Edited by Dragon11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm looking at shooting some Limited this year. Rather than spending $300 on buying an SJC Frame Weight and a race holster, I have this:

20150309_061641_zpsg2uybhao.jpg

20150309_061707_zpsocgvqrji.jpg

Batteries, bulb, wiring, and switch are removed.

Just checking in to see if there is still any controversy or will Sarge want to bump me to Open when I show up at his Club.

Edited by AJE

BWahaha. There is no longer any controversy but I will WANT to bump you to open even though i can't. :)

Looks like a flashlight to me though.....

Somehow I can picture a long drawn out inspection at the safety area. :devil:

I went out to start my car and go to town only to find out the battery is dead. Bummer, I don't own a car now.

The rest of the parts are still there, so you're okay. :devil:

I went out to start my car and go to town only to find out the battery is dead. Bummer, I don't own a car now.

The rest of the parts are still there, so you're okay. :devil:

I wish that was so, obviously you haven't seen my car.

v7rbsekbiqno9baiwjn7.jpg

It weighs about six ounces.

I used that light because I had it laying around and never used it.

I ordered a Safariland holster... it's like the 5188 I use now except it's fitted for the he light but I don't know the number off the top of my head.

I've only put a couple of mags through my .40 with it but it makes a noticeable difference reducing the movement on the front sight during recoil. I'm excited to start practicing with it once I get my holster.

No, it's an ex-light, or "once was a light".

Give it up, guys. It's been decided, and until it's rescinded it's good to go.

Sounds like a lot of work, though. Why not just buy the weight?

because you can just order a holster that fits a "once was a light" frame weight.

I would actually like to see the rule changes to allow lights in limited as long as they are not turned on. then there is no controversy and you wouldn't need to modify anything. there is no advantage to be gained over anything that is all ready allowed so it seams like a no brainer.