Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting an STI Eagle from .40 to 9mm

jedmyers

A new slide. The 9mm breach face is different than a 40 breach face. My SV has interchangeable breach faces, different barrel, different extractor and different ejector.

You will also need new mags.

Also new sights for the new slide.

Basically a whole new top end plus ejector and extractor.

Call Don Bednorz in Alamogordo

Edited by pjb45

I thought about doing what you asked and decided to stick to the 40S&W. our only real disadvantage is the 3 less rounds and the heavier recoil but proper technique can help with that. Plus you won't have to worry about change anything if you're going to do limited in USPSA

Ejectors are the same for the 9mm and 10mm(40 S&W) and the firing pin, stop and spring, could use your sights, maybe barrel link and pin. So you have to fit a slide to the frame and barrel, new extractor fitted and don't forget magazines.

Cost, you can go to one of the gun part on line retailers and price it out, but solid, decent stuff will probably set you back a minimum of $500, if you can fit the barrel and slide yourself. If not better plan on another $200 minimum. Magazines will cost almost as much as the barrel/slide though.

For recoil you can always go to minor loading, some actually like a 40's minor pf over a 9's, and some don't.

Edited by pskys2

atlanta arms makes .40 minor (sure others do also, and if you reload then you can too) and with that all you need is a lighter recoil spring (10# works for me and my Edge). with this you can pretty much use everything you already have. a couple less rounds in the mag doesn't hurt you too much if at all in 3 gun.

that said, i just got a 9mm eagle for 3 gun, steel matches and also idpa; using my .40 Edge for uspsa limited. too easy, at least for me, to mix up 40 major and minor, plus an excuse for another gun.

geez......might as well buy another eagle.

I did this a few years ago and IIRC it wasn't that bad.

Slide: ~$285

Barrel and bushing: ~$235

Sights: $40 front, $60 rear

Firing pin, FPS, extractor... say another $100

Then whatever your GS charges you to fit the slide to frame and barrel to slide, install sights and small parts...

Edited by 2MoreChains

For recoil you can always go to minor loading, some actually like a 40's minor pf over a 9's, and some don't.

This will work. I downloaded my 180s and 200s down to about 700-725fps and the recoil is very manageable. Just lose a few rounds of mag capacity.

Edited by Rob01

I used my Edge with the 155 grain Saeco semi-wadcutter over 3.0 grains of Clays. gun had a 17lb mainspring and an 8lb recoil spring loads were PPC accurate and made 125 pf.

Then I changed the barrel to 38 Super and shot 125's. Not a world of difference between the feel of the gun from 40 to 38.

I have seen several guns fitted with both a .40 barrel and 9mm barrel. Breach faces are very close, and it can be made to work.

The gun better have a pivoting extractor or you will not have reliable extraction. I have four different .40SW autos with 9mm conversion barrels and the one that doesn't extract reliably is the Springfield XD which has an extractor that is basically fixed position similar to stock 1911. As the brass pulls out of the barrel, it loses extractor tension and slips the rim sometimes. In designs where the extractor pivots farther (like Glock, Beretta, SIG and most autos) the extractor can pivot far enough to keep the 9mm rim pinned to the wider breech edge as it extracts. Edited by bountyhunter

At the end of the day it's not worth it. All the expensive parts and vast majority are associated with the top end. You are only saving the cost of a frame and trigger parts. For as much time and effort you'll invest you might as well have two stand alone guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk