Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What was the best deal on a handgun that you let slip through your fin

I was scanning the forum, and saw something about a Diamondback DB9? for sale and it instantly reminded me of 20 some odd years ago, when I found a near mint Colt Diamondback 38 in their dark deep blue for $250 in a hole in the wall pawn shop...I'd always wanted one, but didn't have the money at the time, so I had to pass....looking back, I should have sold my blood, and or done everything possible to buy that gun...

So, what is the one gun that you have always wanted, that you let slip through your fingers, cause you found it at the wrong time? And....did you ever find it again at the right time?

And before anyone says anything derogatory about the Colt Diamondback (not that I think they would...; p ), the reason I've always wanted one is that it was the first pistol I ever shot...

A lightly used STI Open gun with mags, holster, belt, pouches, etc for $2100. Less than 5 min after it left my hands a friend of mine shot it and bought it while I was still thinking about buying it.

Edited by remoandiris

A lightly used STI Open gun with mags, holster, belt, pouches, etc for $2100. Less than 5 min after it left my hands a friend of mine shot it and bought it while I was still thinking about buying it.

Some friend! :)

Orig WW2 Thompson. Was in 87 while stationed at Ft. Gordon Ga. Could have got it for $1000.00. What stopped me was money, figure out class 3 later. ?

Also, a documented 1st gen colt. Had papers and documentation to 7th Cav. Vegas antique arms show. $2000.00. Had already bought some items by then, so no cash left.

Never got a Thompson....but have 2 1st gens now. ?

Found a FN 5.7 with 850 rounds of ammo in a pawn shop for $650 out the door. I came back on payday and it was there for $1250. I asked what happened and the guy told me "buddy I just didn't know what I had till I looked it up online haha".

Dallas gun show in '91 or '92. Fellow walked past me down the aisle with a pristine Winchester 1892 in 25-20. I got his attention and he advised that the price was firm at $250. By the time I found an ATM he was long gone.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

All of the AR's I could have bought for $800 in november of 2012............and then trippled my money in Jan 2013! Doh!

Or all the steel cased cheap .223 ammo I could have bought in nov 2012 and then sold for $1 a round in Jan 2013 like the local A-hole gun shop that will no longer get my business!

a 5" Colt 38 super (mfg in 1935 with Colt letter) in a pawn shop in the late 80s for $375. That was still a fair amount of money then, but would be a nice gun to have in the safe today. Other great deal was while I was a Colt Industries employee in the late 80s, we could buy 6" Royal blue Pythons for $309 and they would payroll deduct them. I bought some guns, but never bought a Python. I wish that I had taken out a loan and bought a bunch of them (judging by what they swap hands for these days).

Hurley

A real HK 91, in 1986 or so. HK dropped the price to to something like $450

And I had to choose between it and a colt 1911, I chose the colt, figuring I'd shoot it more

Then the 87 ban happened, you can also add the FN FNC to that list

My dad plays this game sometimes, and laments that he could have been buying gold when it skyrocketed to $80 an ounce. My mom smacked him and said they couldn't afford it then, either!

I've gotten a few great deals, I've passed a few great deals along, but with the advent of the internet, it's going to be almost impossible to snag something amazing just because you know more about it than the seller. My uncle used to get "little old ladies' son's guitars" when they moved out, and many were vintage Les Pauls and Strats. But now any idiot can google it and list it on ebay.

I had a friend that needed the cash and was selling me his HK USPC .40 for only $350 and only shot it less than $50. as much as I wanted to help him out, I was also broke. he ended up taking it to a pawn shop and they gave him $300 for it

I have more of a problem with all the guns I bought then SOLD, and wished I had them back later....... (I just rectified one of those in the last day or two buying back one of my old guns)

Lately, I'm kinda regretting selling my Stock II and Limited Pro, both in 9mm.

Gun I regret not buying when I could : Nice Bren Ten with several mags, $650 (about 10 years ago).