Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Grip

v1911

Looking to replace my polymer grip with an aluminum one. Right now my choices are STI and PT. I've read about the STI having breakage issues but I'll be running 9mm (minor) so I'm not concerned about durability.

Looking for some feedback on the pros and cons on these two choices. Thanks.

To be fair they both may require fitting. The older sti ones had cracking issues if people just slapped them on without proper fitting. A friends properly fired sti aluminum grip has lasted years and thousands of rounds.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Just put on my PT grip today, just had to blend the mag release. I have the aggressive texture and it fit great. It changed the feel of the gun and it feels great.

Just put on my PT grip today, just had to blend the mag release. I have the aggressive texture and it fit great. It changed the feel of the gun and it feels great.

Cost?

I've had 3 Black STI grips cracked... Had them warranty it and replace with polymer grips. All the STI aluminum grips were fitted correctly where they would just slide on and off. And all of them cracked at the same general area; right above the mag release. Right where the grip meets the frame.

1 = was on my open gun lasted a only 2 matches

2 = lasted for 5k rounds and had stress cracks

3 = lasted only 4months and I could see daylight on it

I gave up on aluminum ... And placed an order for a couple of Ti grips from PT...

I know PT's aluminum should be alittle better 7076 vs 6061 aluminum...

Is the STI grip the exact profile as the polymer? That may be a deciding factor. I wasn't a hug fan of the original grip so I had mine sent out to Jim at APS and he worked his magic.

While the PT grip is more expensive, I wonder if the shape and texture makes up for it. I realize that the 7076 is also stronger, but that's not a selling point for my needs.

I cannot say anything about the PT grip yet. I have fondled the grip at a local match but mine has yet to be delivered.

The STI on the other hand is definitely slimmer in profile than the polymer grip.

STI aluminum grip is garbage. Even the "updated" black one.

So far I love my PT aluminum grip. It is much beefier in the area that cracked on my STI grip.

Edited by JaeOne3345

STI / smooth texture only

P / T (3) different textures

STI / known to crack

P / T Has not had one to crack yet

STI / only comes on aluminum

P / T comes in (4) flavors : aluminum , Ti, carbon steel, stainless steel

Edited by Sudden Death

OK, who is PT, Google doesn't work when searching for PT.

Phoenix Trinity. They have a Facebook page with some photos and there are a lot of photos of their grips on Lone Star Innovations builds in the vendor section.

I have a build in progress by Glenn at LSI using their aluminum grip with the aggressive texture.

Edited by Mberry

OK, who is PT, Google doesn't work when searching for PT.

Phoenix Trinity. They have a Facebook page with some photos and there are a lot of photos of their grips on Lone Star Innovations builds in the vendor section.

I have a build in progress by Glenn at LSI using their aluminum grip with the aggressive texture.

Thanks, I've heard of them.

v1911, the grip is made for the SV trigger bow, it dropped right in on my grip, everything was a straight change over from my plastic grip to the PT grip, needed to blend the mag release and fit the magwell.

To be fair they both may require fitting. The older sti ones had cracking issues if people just slapped them on without proper fitting. A friends properly fired sti aluminum grip has lasted years and thousands of rounds.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My black anodized STI grip slipped on, and had no interference issues. It still cracked prematurely. I ran mine on a limited gun. Not sure how an open gun would hold up. Max Michel told me his eventually crack as well but he just replaces them or used them until they become an issue.

My biggest beef with the STI alum grip is that the magazine can jam if you don't reload PERFECTLY. And I mean it is almost immobile when this happens.

Is there any way to relieve the inside of the grip to alleviate this?

I wonder if ceracoating both the mag and grip would alieveiate that to some degree? I'm already going to have to coat my mags due to the acidic levels in my skin oils.