Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm cases - How do you lube them?

jimreed1948

I'm starting to load 9 mm again after not doing so for 35 years. I only lube a few rifle case but none of my pistol cases.

In the past I would roll each case on a lube pad and go from there. Is there a better way now?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past I would roll each case on a lube pad and go from there.

Damn, you have been gone awhile!

One shot in a plastic shoe box. Doesn't take much. A can should do several thousand cases.

Dillon case lube in a plastic container IE: peppercini or large restuarant type condiment. Couple hundred in at a time two light sprays and put lid on. Move jar in hands on side in circular motion. Been doing it this way for twenty years, takes less than two min's.

Mildot

Use a small bath towel - not one of wife's favorites - and spray lube on it, dump brass on and pick up and shake back and forth. Put towel in plastic bag when not using, keeps lube from dissipating between uses.

In the past I would roll each case on a lube pad and go from there.

Damn, you have been gone awhile!

I have not reloaded 9 mm since that time, but I have stayed up with .40 & .45 and some rifle, just not 9 mm. With big hands those little cases can be tough to pick up. My wife will probably do the 9 mm.

Why the lube on pistol cases. I've never had an issue with them. Just curious as to reasoning does it improve loading

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a lot easier since 9 is a tapered case. 9major especially, a lot of powder spill without lube. Edited by klee

Why the lube on pistol cases. I've never had an issue with them. Just curious as to reasoning does it improve loading

Easier to load, especially when your loading session is 1k at a sitting. But, another benefit of lube that often goes unnoticed to the casual loader is oal consistency. oal's stay much tighter with lubing and even better with lubing sorted brass.

Also One Shot in a plastic coffee can with some shake rattle and role. I can tell right away when I forget it makes it much easier on the progressive and my old arm.

I just tumble 500 cases with a half a cap of Nu Finish in the media. Is that enough or should I spray? Given my experience with some virgin brass I have, I will spray them next time.

Do you tumble the brass to get rid of lube after resizing or just load away.

And or tumble a loaded round to get rid of the lube,

Never did lube my brass before, but recently my shoulder is not that strong and having some athritis, lol, nothing really funny about my athritis. thanks

One Shot all the way. Makes the press run smooth. I put the finished rounds in long "sock" with a shot of silicone spray. Then roll the sock up and down about 20 times. Rounds are clean and super slippery.

I have tumbled finished rounds before. No adverse results. BUT, I did, tumble some 180 HP in 40. Dumb. The media was all in the actual HP. Will not do that again.

I have tumbled finished rounds before. No adverse results. BUT, I did, tumble some 180 HP in 40. Dumb. The media was all in the actual HP. Will not do that again.

Nothing a little compressed air won't remedy.

I thought the same thing until I tried it. :)

If you're loading on a progressive it really makes the operation a lot smoother and the everything seems to come out a lot more consistent as well.

When using Hornady One Shot I just leave the light lube on the finished rounds, might even help with chambering.

Edited by fmj3