Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Ext firing Pin

Hunter413

I purchased 20k tula small pistol primers last year and although my 2011 Edge runs them just fine I have literally hit a wall with them in my Glock 34. I purchased the glockworx ext firing pin and have tried everything from 2-6lb striker springs in it and still can't get them to pop consistently. Am I missing something or should I just save em for when I acquire a 2011 9mm?

The only thing that I can think of would be to return the gun to a complete stock condition. Then if it does not set off those primers I would look into changing the channel liner. If it does work in the stock condition I would start by replacing one item at a time to isolate the culprit. If it does not work in the stock condition I would not use those primers. You might also check the firing pin block, it may be dragging on the firing pin causing you to loose inertia.

Edited by rooster

What brand springs are you using? I've found that one companies 2-6 pound spring does not always match another's. I use the zev tech springs in one glock and the glockmeister springs in another. I would get a glock OEM spring and some wolf extra power springs and see what happens. If that doesn't work I would put the stock firing pin back in and try the springs again. I would doubt it but there is a chance that the firing pin has a problem. If you can't get ignition with the stock firing pin and the stock firing pin spring then I personally would get the hell away from that ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing that I can think of would be to return the gun to a complete stock condition. Then if it does not set off those primers I would look into changing the channel liner. If it does work in the stock condition I would start by replacing one item at a time to isolate the culprit. If it does not work in the stock condition I would not use those primers. You might also check the firing pin block, it may be dragging on the firing pin causing you to loose inertia.

Took my brand new firing pin assembly out of my G17 that has maybe 100 rds on it and plugged it in and it still wouldn't set them off. Bought a new channel liner but haven't tried it yet.

What brand springs are you using? I've found that one companies 2-6 pound spring does not always match another's. I use the zev tech springs in one glock and the glockmeister springs in another. I would get a glock OEM spring and some wolf extra power springs and see what happens. If that doesn't work I would put the stock firing pin back in and try the springs again. I would doubt it but there is a chance that the firing pin has a problem. If you can't get ignition with the stock firing pin and the stock firing pin spring then I personally would get the hell away from that ammo.

I've got several brands because over the years I have ordered a couple of different kits trying them out. Stock firing pin and spring wouldn't work either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I learned the hard way is the striker channels should have zero lube in them. Any lube slows the striker down.

This certainly helps as well... I had soaked my slide in my ultrasonic and think it was an issue as well. Still sticking to the federals for the match but practice ammo has been more consistent since I replaced the striker channel and applied the carb cleaner

I had two Zev skeleton pins break at the tip with Tula primers and they still go bang. Both pins are shorter than OEM. Go figure. I'm using Zevs 2lb pull spring. Its more like a 4lb trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Set the primers as deep in the primer pocket as possible without crushing them, and a factory spring & striker will bust them reliably. It's okay to have them dimpled a little too. You want the primer to be pressed against the primer pocket base so the force delivered by the striker bursts the anvil instead of pushing the primer itself deeper into the pocket. Still use them for practice ammo if you want but setting the primers deeper should solve your problem. Whether or not you want to chance it at a match is of course still up to you.

• 4 months later...

You discovered what Glock shooters already know. Tula primers are not easy to set off. Federals are the most sensitive, that's why the ICORE guys like them. Personally I use CCI primers with all stock parts in the G17's.

I'm not sure if I was just lucky or what but I've got a glut of wolf primers and rounds loaded with wolf. I swapped out my entire trigger and internals basically on my 34 and figured I was going to have to swap to federals. Took it out and ran about 250 rounds with no light strikes or anything. Still stocked up on federals but I was surprised I didn't have any issues