Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag seating is for squares.

Gooldylocks

Actually seating your magazine at the Make Ready Command is like.. so last year. Don't you know that letting it just fall out when you shoot your first round is so much more hip?

My mags all can hold 20 rounds, but you realllly got to smack em hard to get them to seat with that many. Normally I barney in a round from my last magazine, then seat the only mag with 20 rounds that I keep in my pocket at Make Ready. Instead of pulling on it like normal to make sure it's locked in I just holstered my gun after putting in my magazine. Needless to say it didn't go over very well once that first round went off.

It cost me about 10 seconds by the time I got a fresh mag in the gun and cleared the stovepipe that happened since the magazine fell out.

I don't think I am ever going to start a stage again without pulling on that first mag and making absolutely sure it is seated before I start.

Been there. Done that.

It really sucks when you drop to the prone position to shoot through an aperture and it happens. Have you tried doing a reload lying down? It's not easy

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

I would venture a guess that most of us have had this occur on one occasion or another. I can get 21 in my start mag, but the other day I left it on my belt at the start because I wanted the bigger mag later in the stage. It went like this:

Beep, bangbang, bangbang, bang-ding, bangbang, reload, bangding, click, rack slide, catch falling mag, reinsert, click, SMACK base of mag, rack slide, bangbangbangbangbangbang, expletive, expletive, etc.

ALWAYS make certain that ur reload mag has few enough rounds to be reloadable.

Edited by wgj3

While I havent ever tried to reload laying down, it seems like that would be very difficult.

So my question do you wgj3, if you knew how hard you had to seat the mag to make it stay in why did you try to reload to that one in the first place? What was the stage like that you would need 22 rounds in the gun towards the end?

• 3 months later...

I have gone to prone while pushing my round count. Laying there on my large, but lovable, tummy and shooting at a copius amount of mini-poppers, our what seemed like a very large amount of poppers, otherwise why would of I shoot all them projectiles at em?? And then doing a pron re-load, did I mention my tummy? I felt like a whale flapping my my flippers on dry land as I rocked back and forth preforming the re-load.

Memo to self:

Lose weight or buy an open gun that holds more bullets.

**g**

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My mags all can hold 20 rounds, but you realllly got to smack em hard to get them to seat with that many.

I'm in the same boat, and I learned not to do that after too many problems. Bear in mind that the reason it's hard to seat is because that 20th round is pushing up against the bottom of the slide which can cause your first shot to fail to cycle properly. After it happened to me a couple times (assuming the mag didn't just pop out that is), I stopped doing it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My mags will all hold 20 rounds reloadable. My problem is that some will take 21 with a little extra pressure so I have to make sure I do not overfill them and have them fail to seat. It is OK if it is going to be the first mag and you have time to check that it fully seated. It sucks when it is the second or third mag and it falls out after that first shot.

At least in Production or Single Stack, we reload so much, we could almost cover up an error like that! :-)

Yes, I meant to reload after one round!!!

Crazier things have happened, I've shot a stage or two in production that I've shot one target them reloaded to make life easier the rest of the stage. It's gonna take a little bit more to explain how the stove pipe fit into the stage plan though lol.

At least in Production or Single Stack, we reload so much, we could almost cover up an error like that! :-)

Yes, I meant to reload after one round!!!
Crazier things have happened, I've shot a stage or two in production that I've shot one target them reloaded to make life easier the rest of the stage. It's gonna take a little bit more to explain how the stove pipe fit into the stage plan though lol.

I've done the same, but it was in the plan. Then again my plan usually goes to crap when the buzzer goes off!!

Hasn't happened with a pistol (yet), but had it happen with my rifle in a shootoff 2 years ago. I always pull the mag out to check it after I load up and didn't firmly seat it all the way. First shot *plop* goes the mag into the dirt. Lesson learned.

There are a couple people I know who shoot Glock 35's who tell me they've never had a problem loading 20 rounds with any of the extensions. I hate them. I hate them because I can't and I don't know why and that bugs me.

Well, while reading a different thread the other day, I got to thinking about this whole thing again. The one variable in all of this I've never looked at is my ammo. I load pretty standard cartridges using Montana Gold bullets to a pretty standard OAL. It never occurred to me that I could probably load these a bit longer and that might change the fit in the mag just a little tiny bit. And a little bit x 19 might be just that little bit more I need to get 20 in there comfortably.

So, to those who say they have no problems loading 20, how about providing some specs on your ammo? It would be interesting to see if there is a pattern here or if it's just another harebrained idea of mine.

There are a couple people I know who shoot Glock 35's who tell me they've never had a problem loading 20 rounds with any of the extensions. I hate them. I hate them because I can't and I don't know why and that bugs me.

Well, while reading a different thread the other day, I got to thinking about this whole thing again. The one variable in all of this I've never looked at is my ammo. I load pretty standard cartridges using Montana Gold bullets to a pretty standard OAL. It never occurred to me that I could probably load these a bit longer and that might change the fit in the mag just a little tiny bit. And a little bit x 19 might be just that little bit more I need to get 20 in there comfortably.

So, to those who say they have no problems loading 20, how about providing some specs on your ammo? It would be interesting to see if there is a pattern here or if it's just another harebrained idea of mine.

I load at a pretty normal length as well, about .135-.14. I've never had any issues.

When I competed with a 35 the difference between my 19 and 20 round mags were the followers. The 19 rounders used early generation followers and the 20 rounders were #5 I believe. Everything else was identical. I could disassemble all of them and mix the parts up and it still came down to which follower was in the tube.

yeah I shot a match a while back with a buddy and it was one of his first matches. he makes ready and RO says the mag is sticking out a little. buddy says it's an extended mag, supposed to do that. RO says ok and beep, then click...

I once went to the line with my 11 round start mag, from front pocket, on a 32 round stage. Went something like this....

Shoot 8, drop mag, go to reload and realize there were no mags in pouches....

The sub second bend & reload for 3 more alphas could not make up for the 21 mikes and 10 or so FTE's. Hasn't happened since, but only the shadow knows if it could ......

I did have the fastest time on the stage !!!!

Edited by cnote

• 2 weeks later...

I did that once in a match during a reload. I reloaded the mag fired a round and it fell out. Had to pick it up and re-seat it, because i only put one extra mag on my belt. It was a 31 round stage, so I started with a big stick and 21 more round in my next mag. Should be no problems right?