Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slinging Rifle

Fathead302

I just signed up for my first Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun, and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for sling/sling mount options for rifles. I currently have a rifle with a Magpul CTR stock and a JP VTAC forend, but feel free to give out ideas for other configurations as others might be possibly checking for sling options.

Also asking same question for shotgun in the shotgun forum.

Thanks!

Edited by Fathead302

My preference is the Vtac padded sling, but there are other good ones out there. The only mod I make is to replace the small black release cord with a larger flouresant orange one, so I can see and release it easier.

Biggest thing is to practice your slung transitions with allyour gear in place. You will want to know exactly how your sling works or interferes with everything else on your belt.

I like a 2 point sling, and a Vickers Combat Sling to be specific. You could run QD swivels on both ends, one to the socket in your CTR, and then just mount another QD attachment point on your tube. That way its easy to take off when you don't need it. Im not a huge fan of running a QD at the rear, but I figure for 3 gun it might be worth it. Ive just finished my first "3 gun specific" build and that's what I plan on doing. Im just getting into this sport though, so Im sure there are others on here with much more educated suggestions.

A good, inexpensive lightweight sling I found and like is the sling from Frank Proctor. Sells them in his store off his website. Do a google search for way of the gun proctor sling. Uses 550 cord loops for quick low profile attachment. I used it with only the 550 cord for while with no problems but then installed qd swivels on it cause then I can snap it into buttstock on rifle and the rail. I have a Troy low profile rail mount at 9 o'clock on my rail that when the sling is not in use acts as a good hand reference point for me. Good sling and concept and very easy to mount to any long gun.

+1 for the Proctor Sling. Frank kept it super simple with this design and the price is great too. Plenty of adjustment and holds up great. Easy to attach to most any long gun with or without "real" sling points.

didn't see anything I liked so I bought some webbing and fastex buckles and made my own,so far works great but have a few more ideas to try out

I used to build boat canvas so the old sewing machine comes in handy now and then so far a fun project to play with I always enjoyed the R&D aspect.

Another vote for the Proctor sling. I like mine. It is simple and it works. I used it at the He Man championship last year and at a class that I went to. I have set up my shotgun for one also, but have not shot a match that dictated slung shotgun yet. It is not as comfortable as a padded sling for extended wear, but you usually don't wear your rifle for very long in 3 gun.

Hurley

I have the Proctor on rifle and VTAC on shotgun. Like them both. Be sure to get some practice taking guns on and off, paying attention to if there is any conceivable way that it could dis-lodge a holstered pistol. I found the safest and most comfortable way for me was to sling muzzle up over my right shoulder with the gun fairly tight to my body. While un slinging I grab the muzzle with my right hand as I release tension on the sling with my left. The gun goes up and over my head to my weak side. Doing it that way there is almost no way to dis-lodge a holstered pistol. I've also seen a lot of people that go muzzle down and while that seemed more comfortable it was awkward for my to un sling and there is the possibility of the muzzle dragging the ground if kneeling. You may not need this info but a few months ago I was clueless and couldn't find much info on pros/cons of different techniques so I just thought I would put what I found out worked for me out there.

post-32712-0-72242500-1399078035_thumb.j

I use a VTAC padded sling with an impact weapons components single point adapter. I run qd mounts at the end of my rifle (by magwell) and I have a troy bolt on QD mount on the buffer tube and a qd mount in the stock. With this setup I have multiple options to go two point or single point on the fly. There is also a spec ops version that is a little cheaper in price and quality my wife runs it on her rifle.

I prefer a VTAC nonpadded, and I put my sling mounts as far toward the muzzle and buttplate as I can get them. This keeps the rifle from moving around as much when it's slung. Tighten the sling up and it really sucks it in to your chest or back. I use a 15" Samson Evo tube and their qd sling mount in the two holes right at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a Ching sling on all my rifles, and yes I do use them as a shooting aide at times.

Now that's a classic!

I used to run just a standard USGI nylon web sling without any issues. Had to change over to a VTAC due to the amount of gear needed to carry last year @ RM3G.