Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best brand of case gauges

Biammo

How does that help with oal

You make a few dummy rounds and rack them through your gun to see if they feed. Additionally, you should have a set of calipers near by to validate the formulas you are using for your specific bullets. (recipes are for cookies, formulas are for ammo)

Edited by leewongfei

My Midway gauge set is tighter than the chamber in my pistols so if it fits that gauge it'll run in the guns. Don't have a gauge set the pistol chamber is the way to go. Have a new aftermarket barrel fitted or a new gun with a tight chamber always check the chamber first then the gauge.

Yup, Wilson gauges worked just fine but did start to get a little surface rust. Started buying using Dillon after that discovery. Long loaded rounds stick out the bottom of both.

It's just a matter of time before I pick up one of the new hundos.

I have Dillon, Wilson and Lyman. My Lyman also tended to get surface rust until I hit it with a little case lube.

The barrel "plunk test" is the definitive test but I am concerned about dropping one, dinging it up, losing it, etc. so I unless I have a particularly finicky gun/bullet combination, I use a case gauge every 100 rounds as another attribute check ( along with OAL and powder charge).

For those of you that have used the Hundo case gauge. What length round AOL,(45acp & 9mm) will fit before it hits the bench that its laying on. Also any negative points?

The gauge is far too shallow for OAL, they will stick out the back side (which can make extraction easier).