Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best brand of case gauges

Biammo

For those of you that have used the Hundo case gauge. What length round AOL,(45acp & 9mm) will fit before it hits the bench that its laying on. Also any negative points?

The gauge is far too shallow for OAL, they will stick out the back side (which can make extraction easier).

It does OAL to a point, or else they wouldn't have came out with the 40L. You put the rounds in while it's on the bench, then you lift it up. If a round is still sticking up, it is either too long, or too fat. AS RDA said though, sitting flat on the bench, I think anything much longer than the length of the brass will not sit flush. I haven't seen any negatives so far, but I've only used it for about 2k rounds.

For those of you that have used the Hundo case gauge. What length round AOL,(45acp & 9mm) will fit before it hits the bench that its laying on. Also any negative points?

The gauge is far too shallow for OAL, they will stick out the back side (which can make extraction easier).

It does OAL to a point, or else they wouldn't have came out with the 40L. You put the rounds in while it's on the bench, then you lift it up. If a round is still sticking up, it is either too long, or too fat. AS RDA said though, sitting flat on the bench, I think anything much longer than the length of the brass will not sit flush. I haven't seen any negatives so far, but I've only used it for about 2k rounds.

I suppose, but it isn't like a traditional gauge as the bullets protrude from the back of the gauge. I eyeball down the rows to check the OAL, make sure none of them stand out (too short or too long compared to the others) which works well for me.

Yes, the Shockbottle 100-round case gauge (also sold as the 'Hundo') does not check OAL of loaded rounds per-se, but does check most overall dimensions. There were a few reasons for that-

-- OAL for various bullets and magazines is all over the map so what is max for one bullet & magazine will easily fit another and so on.

-- Having the brass stick out a bit when the gauge is on a table makes it easy to mark the bases without marking the gauge (grossly out-of-length rounds can be seen here too)

-- It makes poking marginal or stuck rounds out of the gauge easier.

-- lowers the cost & weight to you a bit.

-- insertion force is consistent and wear on the gauge lessened if you do the fill-n-lift.

But.. the gauges are reamed with SAAMI chamber reamers that cut the chamber leade as well-- that's the part that tapers down from bullet size to rifling ID, so ammo that won't fit a SAAMI chamber also won't fit the gauge (we use the smaller side of chamber tolerances). It's not the same as OAL, but load a bullet too long and it will not fit in the leade section (in fact, this is where the max OAL for various bullets often comes from; what will fit in the leade)

The 40L gauge is special in that we removed the leade section from the gauge, leaving the bullet bore straight to accommodate ammunition that is loaded longer than SAAMI spec into a firearm which has an extended chamber leade. It is up to the end-user to determine what fits safely in their particular firearm.

Before I was running the EGW (7 round check) and LE Wilson case gauges. The LE Wilson was tighter than the EGW so I used it only for match ammo.

Recently bought the Hundo gauges in 9. Works great, seems to be close as the LE Wilson. Rounds I've marked as bad on the Wilson also do not gauge well in the Hundo.

I've got a KKM .40 barrel that some rounds (10%) won't chamber. Those same rounds that won't chamber will pass a chamber check with my Dillon case gauge, my HK USP .40 barrel, and a stock Glock barrel.

The rounds are loaded using a redding sizing die, and crimped with a Lee FCD.

I did some research and found out that I could have the KKM barrel loosened up a bit by KKM, but I'm too lazy to send it in.

I simply save my 10% failure rounds for when I shoot without the KKM barrel.

I've got a KKM .40 barrel that some rounds (10%) won't chamber. Those same rounds that won't chamber will pass a chamber check with my Dillon case gauge, my HK USP .40 barrel, and a stock Glock barrel.

The rounds are loaded using a redding sizing die, and crimped with a Lee FCD.

I did some research and found out that I could have the KKM barrel loosened up a bit by KKM, but I'm too lazy to send it in.

I simply save my 10% failure rounds for when I shoot without the KKM barrel.

I have same probkem bht with barstow barrel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I am using Dillon case gages. I gage 100% of my ammo. So far out of 10k rounds that passed the gage all have ran flawlessly.

Wow that's time consuming

Yes it is time consuming to check each and every round with a gage but it is one last line defense from something bad going in the chamber. It also serves as one last check for high primers. Stuff that doesnt pass the gage and is still visibly serviceable gets shot as practice ammo. I have yet to have one of those rounds jam or fail... Go figure.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using .356 size lead in my 9mm and find the dillon is not good for it they do .355 fine. Anyone know of a gauge that can do .356 dia progies in 9mm?

Thanks

I'm not sure how old my 9mm Dillon gauge is, but it works fine with .356

Now that I think about it, it is greater than six yrs old.

i bought the dillon when i bought my xl650. i just picked up the 100rd shockbottle supermatch for 9mm works great with my reloads using the polymer coated bayou bullets. to the poster above my dillon gauge works fine with the bayou bullets which are sized to .356 . if i had to do it again i would only get the 100rd gauges. for the cost they are the clear winner 100 holes for about $90 vs 1 hole for $15- $20 you make the call.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Dillons but use the barrel of the gun now.

On auto loaders where the break down and chamber are so easily accessible, why would you waste money on these? Am I missing something? I have had complete success using the chamber of my pistols.

I have Dillons but use the barrel of the gun now.

On auto loaders where the break down and chamber are so easily accessible, why would you waste money on these? Am I missing something? I have had complete success using the chamber of my pistols.

Most auto loader barrels only touch about 25% of the rim of the case. If you're using you barrel as a case gauge you could potentially miss some damage to the rim that could cause a failure later.

Also most auto loaders have ramped barrels. The area above the ramp could fail to detect a small bulge that could also cause a failure later.

You CAN check for both of these scenarios by dropping rounds into the barrel and then spinning them but that would be a bit slow.

I have some chambers that are loose enough to pass a case with a split in it. I've yet to see a split case get past my case gauges.

I always hear that using the barrel is "best" but checking rounds one by one would be a real waste of time for me. At this point I'm loading for three shooters (myself and two sons) so it's the Hundo/Shockbottle 100 round gauge for me.

I've heard that loading on a single stage press is "better" and surely that's all anyone really "needs" :)

Edited by razorfish

I have a question for someone who has one these 100 round case gauge tool.

Do you have to put each individual round into each hole, or can you pick up loaded ammo by the handful and have it dropped into place or scoop up loaded ammo from a bin of loaded ammo that is awaiting to be case gauged and have it fall into the holes?

How long does it take to load the 100 round case gauge?

Yes, the Shockbottle 100-round case gauge (also sold as the 'Hundo') does not check OAL of loaded rounds per-se, but does check most overall dimensions. There were a few reasons for that-

-- OAL for various bullets and magazines is all over the map so what is max for one bullet & magazine will easily fit another and so on.

-- Having the brass stick out a bit when the gauge is on a table makes it easy to mark the bases without marking the gauge (grossly out-of-length rounds can be seen here too)

-- insertion force is consistent and wear on the gauge lessened if you do the fill-n-lift.

But.. the gauges are reamed with SAAMI chamber reamers that cut the chamber leade as well-- that's the part that tapers down from bullet size to rifling ID, so ammo that won't fit a SAAMI chamber also won't fit the gauge (we use the smaller side of chamber tolerances). It's not the same as OAL, but load a bullet too long and it will not fit in the leade section (in fact, this is where the max OAL for various bullets often comes from; what will fit in the leade)

The 40L gauge is special in that we removed the leade section from the gauge, leaving the bullet bore straight to accommodate ammunition that is loaded longer than SAAMI spec into a firearm which has an extended chamber leade. It is up to the end-user to determine what fits safely in their particular firearm.

I am having issues with the 100 40L in that the SNS 200 grain .401 coated bullets will not fit. I can check by pulling them in backwards, but it is a pain. Any ideas.

Jay

I am having issues with the 100 40L in that the SNS 200 grain .401 coated bullets will not fit. I can check by pulling them in backwards, but it is a pain. Any ideas.

Jay

I'm using the 100 40L with SNS 180gr and not seeing any issues - .401 as well and loading to 1.185 OAL. There is the occasional round that won't seat easily in the gauge and those go in the practice/range bucket.

Possible your gauge is out of spec or maybe you're crimping too much or too little?