Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 AR Triggers

MickB

It would seem that .308 pattern AR rifles take standard AR15 match triggers.

is there any concern with certain triggers that do not reliably set off hard primers with milsurp .308 ammunition?

As an example, would there be any issues with a JP trigger with JP speed hammer and yellow springs?

Looking to hear from you Heavy Metal guys...

Mick

I wouldn't count on the yellow springs setting off hard primers. If you want reliability with any ammo, I would recommend looking at the Hiperfire 24c. It's a really nice trigger with a sub 3 pound pull, and the amount of hammer energy it produces is ridiculous. As bagdrag mentioned, it's probably a good idea to use a heavier hammer spring with JP if you decide to go that route, which will unfortunately give you a heavier trigger pull.

Edited by amccallister

Any reason to not get the Hiperfire 24E? Not sure I like the straight trigger and would prefer to stay with a traditional shaped trigger....

Mick

Nope. The E model is of the same basic design and uses a full power hammer spring as well, it should work great.

Timney's ".308" trigger will not light off Hornady Steel Match. The hammer springs are light, and the trigger spring is what makes the weight. Couldn't put a heavier hammer spring on it either.

I sampled all the Hiperfire triggers at FNH last year, the E was the one I liked the feel of. Put the shoe on it, no flat trigger anymore.

CMC should light off any primer in a .308 case. The hammer spring is stout.

Not really sure what springs are in my JP ar10s, (LRP 007), but the trigger pull is sub 3lbs and feels just like my JP ar15s. Probably around 2.5lbs, right where I like em. Never had a problem with lighting hard primers like CCIs for ARs. So the JPtriggers work and work well.

jj

I had problems with JP yellow springs and the factory hammer in my AR10. Armalites have a firing pin spring, I removed it and yellow springs were very reliable, then I must have got a lot of ammo with soft primers as I had a few slam fires. I put the spring back in and no more problems. I have ran an AR Gold trigger before and am currently running a Wilson trigger without any reliability issues, even with the firing pin spring in place.

Hurley

I have an AR gold (SR gold) trigger in my AR10. It does not reliably ignite Hornady Steel Match. I am going to replace it with something if I can't make the hammer spring heavier. Sounds like the hyperfire triggers are worth looking into.

I have an AR gold (SR gold) trigger in my AR10. It does not reliably ignite Hornady Steel Match. I am going to replace it with something if I can't make the hammer spring heavier. Sounds like the hyperfire triggers are worth looking into.

If you contact American trigger, they can probably hook you up with a stronger spring or tell you how to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot my DPMS 3g1 yesterday which comes factory with the JP trigger reliability kit ie the yellow trigger spring and RED hammer spring. This is the minimum power kit that JP recommends for the 308 platform. IF you're shooting military ammo you may need a little extra power for reliable ignition you will probably be okay though. It it's easy to switch to the JP full power spring if you need to.

If you contact American trigger, they can probably hook you up with a stronger spring or tell you how to fix it.

I sent American Trigger an email (the only contact info I could find) on April 25th and have not heard back.

I sent American Trigger an email (the only contact info I could find) on April 25th and have not heard back.

Have you tried calling them?

Have you tried calling them?

I could not find a phone number on their website, but I will try calling PACT, their distributor, next.

I run the JP with the heavier 3.5 lb spring on my 308. I run Timney in my ar15's. JP with heavier spring is heavier than the 3 lb timney's (duh), but with adjustments it's very crisp and little difference is felt when shooting.

Hiperfire 24e in a sig 716 I have bitchslaps mil ammo primers into next week. I like the fact u can easily change the springs to fine tune it. Plus it feels great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

My DPMS would not reliably set off surplus with a JP /yellow spring set up. Or even when I put a mil-spec hammer spring in it. Nor would it set off Hornady Steel Match. All other commercial and reloads go bang without problems.

I have put in a Hyperfire but have not yet tried it with surplus or HSM.

Craig I