Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

clays powder for 9mm

bodene 5

I used to shoot the combination of Clays/Bayou 135gr. It was soft and quite accurate.

Though, there are a number of factors to consider before you proceed with heavier bullets. OAL, PF, chamber depth of your pistol. Check for any primer-flow as that could be a sign of pressure. Clays can spike-up pretty quickly. YMMV

So WTF is Clays good for? Apparently you can't use it for .40 major, and now it's inaccurate in 9mm. I'm picking up a 4lb jug today and was going to use it for 9mm minor loads. Should I just get it for the trade value? If so, why the hell are so many people geeked out over it???

Edited by Lifeislarge

So WTF is Clays good for? Apparently you can't use it for .40 major, and now it's inaccurate in 9mm. I'm picking up a 4lb jug today and was going to use it for 9mm minor loads. Should I just get it for the trade value? If so, why the hell are so many people geeked out over it???

I agree that Clays might not be the best option for 9mm, but it has been more readily available, at least around here, which is a factor in the current market and it will give you decent performance. Everyone has different expectations, I suggest trying for yourself

I found that Clays prefers plain or coated lead in all of my 9mm's. I worked with this powder for several weeks with plated and jacket bullets but never found a load that I considered accurate. Some of the targets looked like they were shot with a 12 ga. You may have better luck as each gun is different. I spent so much time on this because of the soft recoil impulse. Clays really shines in .40 and .45, in these calibers it is tough to find a powder any softer and clean shooting. I would be interested in what you find with yours, please let us know if you find a really good combination.

Great for .40 minor IMO....

I run 2.8gr of clays under Bayou 147gr at 1.145 OAL. I get 130pf out of my 5" 2011. While I'm no bullseye shooter, my gun and that load is more accurate than I and more than accurate enough for IDPA.

I am very good friends with a well known USPSA/IPSC shooter that shoots 40 cal strictly with Clays with Major loads. Shoots tens of thousands of rounds with it. You need to use 10mm mags and load long. He makes Major without an issue. And shoots 4-6" groups at 50 yards in his Limited/SS guns.

I've also ran 124 and 147 gr with Clays in 9mm and never had an accuracy issue. I think you'll find you need to formulate your own opinion on most issues like powder vs. accuracy. Some people just can't shoot and blame it on everything but themselves.

I personally use Clays (or ClayDot) in 9mm, 40 and 45 and it works great.

NO, you should send it to me. you don't want that.. where the heck di you find clays?

Where Clays really shines is in the 12 gauge light target load arena. Without any data to back it up I would say it is easily in the top 3 propellants for clay target shooters. It is one of my favorite propellants for that. I have an 8 pound unopened keg of it in my reloading room and a partial but I am not using it for pistol but I would if I had too. I too found it to "spike" quickly as well.