Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you use to clean your rifle

Travtastik

I realized today that I really needed to replace some of the cleaning stuff that I currently use. I was wondering what everyone kept on hand at home for a complete cleaning of your rifle. I have been using a universal kit but it doesn't cut it.

I am looking for suggestions on a good single piece cleaning rod also.

Travis, I use Hoppe's no. 9 on a bore snake and run it through the barrel about 5 times and then run a patch or two to see if I need a more aggressive cleaning approach. Everything but the barrel, I use Frog Lube and shop towels. In the nooks and crannies I use q-tips or something similar.

For a cleaning rod, get a dewey.

I rarely clean my AR's since switching to fireclean. Pretty much wipe the vitals and reapply. I only clean my barrels when accuracy falls off, which is not often.

+1 for Dewey....they last forever as long as you don't sit on them :)

and I've really liked Frog Lube since I've started using their system..good stuff!

Edited by jriggs

Bore tech single piece rotating rod similar to the Dewey

Bore tech proof positive patch jag

Wheeler bore guide

I use the following products in this order:

-KG1 Non-ammonia carbon remover

-KG2. Non-ammonia copper remover & bore polish

-KG3 Degreaser

-Smooth Kote evaporating moly dry lube

-BP2000 powder dry lube & bore treatment

*The last 2 steps can be substituted with KG4 oil

*Smoothe kote and bp2000 are great for breaking in barrels

I use Slip2000 EWL 30 on my BCG

I like Bob Marvel's custom oil or KG4 for thin penetrating oils

I've done my research and tested many cleaning products. I think each one of these are worth having and all do their job very well.

Edited by CZspeed

I rarely clean my AR's since switching to fireclean. Pretty much wipe the vitals and reapply. I only clean my barrels when accuracy falls off, which is not often.

I love this stuff too, but there is a huge problem. When it gets cold, fire clean gels badly. It happened to me when the temps were in the 20's. The slide of my pistol felt like it had bubble gum in it. My AR would not go into battery once in a while. It is a great warm weather lube, and I love how you can just wipe off the carbon. I hope they are working on fixing this.

I use about 4 drops of FIREClean total on the bolt, carrier, and inside of the receiver and a couple wet patches of Hoppes on the bore, followed by a couple of dry patches.

I shot several times this winter in sub 20 degree weather and didn't have any issues w/ the FIREClean. I have noticed that it seems to be a little gummy on one or two of my 1911s in particular, even during warm weather, whereas on other 1911s and my Glocks it stays thin. I think it's because I didn't clean off the old lube before applying Fireclean on the gummy 1911s. I haven't shot these guns in quite a while so I haven't messed with them to see if a good cleaning/degreasing and then applying Fireclean takes care of the problem.

Edited by Bryan 45

I did apply fire clean quite liberally to both guns. Could have added to the problem. It could have been colder than the 20's, that was a guess.

Frog Lube will have the same problem, it might actually be worse. Finding a good cold weather lube is tough - that's why I run mobile 1 all winter and switch to others in the summer. There aren't too many choices to run a gun wet in winter.

I love this stuff too, but there is a huge problem. When it gets cold, fire clean gels badly. It happened to me when the temps were in the 20's. The slide of my pistol felt like it had bubble gum in it. My AR would not go into battery once in a while. It is a great warm weather lube, and I love how you can just wipe off the carbon. I hope they are working on fixing this.

Did you follow the directions when applying? you need to completely strip off anything that was on there before. Also, very little needs to be applied.

I use about 4 drops of FIREClean total on the bolt, carrier, and inside of the receiver and a couple wet patches of Hoppes on the bore, followed by a couple of dry patches.

I shot several times this winter in sub 20 degree weather and didn't have any issues w/ the FIREClean. I have noticed that it seems to be a little gummy on one or two of my 1911s in particular, even during warm weather, whereas on other 1911s and my Glocks it stays thin. I think it's because I didn't clean off the old lube before applying Fireclean on the gummy 1911s. I haven't shot these guns in quite a while so I haven't messed with them to see if a good cleaning/degreasing and then applying Fireclean takes care of the problem.

Should have read down further, but this exactly. Old stuff needs to be completely removed and very very little needs to be applied.

I lock the bolt back and give the inside of the upper a small squirt of CLP once every 2-3k rounds. Ever since I went to the hybrid gas system that is about all the cleaning it needs. Some day I will clean the bore, but it's polygon rifled and doesn't foul much, so even that will wait until I can't hit the long range gongs. :)

• 2 weeks later...