Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Area 6 Three Gun Championship June 27-29

Happy to announce Universal Shooting Academy is bringing back the Area 6 Three Gun Championship.

June 27-29, 2014. Staff and sponsors will shoot on Friday. Main match competitors will shoot Saturday and Sunday.

8 Stages - Full day schedule

We will be following the USPSA Multigun Rules January 1, 2014 (Provisional) Not sure why it still says provisional but thats the rule set we'll be using and divisions we'll be recognizing (if meeting attendance requirements)

Time Plus scoring.

Match fee: $150

More info here: http://www.universalshootingacademy.com/matches/3-gun-championship/

Registration and squadding via Match Sign Up. Registration opens tomorrow April 1.

I posted a question here on enos a while back asking thoughts on 'your' perfect multi gun match. Not surprisingly I got a lot of different answers. Some posted here, some in PM's, some via email, some in person or on phone. I appreciate everyone's time in answering me. I ask because I pretty much run matches for a living and am always looking to get better. I am new to 3 gun at anything over local level stuff, so I have a lot to learn. Also not surprisingly the first thing I learned is you're not going to be able to please everybody in 3 gun match design. (Actually I already pretty much had that figured out.) Not set in stone but here are my general thoughts on the match as you decide whether to take a chance on a 'new' match and 3 gun match director.

8 stages. 2 or 3 one gun, 2 or 3 two gun, 3 three gun.

2 longer range rifle stages. One to 400 or close to it with 4moa targets and backers so they are visible. The other longer range will be right at 200 or just under. We have some reactive targets and I plan to order more prior to the match.

Plan the use of a couple vehicles to shoot in and around. (not moving)

Plan the use of ariel shotgun tagets.

No bonus targets.

Will be grounding guns as a general rule. Not likely to require or use slings.

It is a little short notice for an Area match but I plan to put together the best prize table I can. Prizes will be awarded in order of finish within division. I hope to have a couple sponsor announcements this week as I finalize some talks.

I gather most of the crowd here tends to prefer the outlaw matches. Maybe just because there are more of them. I want to support USPSA for various reasons but also I think a good match can be laid out under USPSA rules. I guess we shall see.

I'll be around here to answer questions. Email, pm or shout if anyone needs anything.

Thanks,

Shannon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds great. You can make a good match under USPSA Rules. This a welcome addition at the excellent range in Frostproof. Recovering from surgery, but I'm gonna do my best to get there. Love flying clays.

I'm not sure if you are fishing for opinions, but I'll throw in my two cents. After shooting quite a few 'outlaw' matches and a couple of USPSA Multi-gun matches (nationals), I enjoy the USPSA matches much more. Perhaps it's because I have shot USPSA for so long, but I like rules. Safety rules, shooting rules, target and prop rules, etc. Many outlaw matches are pretty sparse on things like fault lines, safe areas, OBIs, well though out courses, 180*s and on.

I'm excited for this match, and both my wife and myself will be signing up!

I'm not sure if you are fishing for opinions, but I'll throw in my two cents. After shooting quite a few 'outlaw' matches and a couple of USPSA Multi-gun matches (nationals), I enjoy the USPSA matches much more. Perhaps it's because I have shot USPSA for so long, but I like rules. Safety rules, shooting rules, target and prop rules, etc. Many outlaw matches are pretty sparse on things like fault lines, safe areas, OBIs, well though out courses, 180*s and on.

I'm excited for this match, and both my wife and myself will be signing up!

+1

I wasn't fishing but thanks for your opinions. I agree, I think a good match can be had under that rule set. We run our local matches under the USPSA time plus and I haven't found any real problems or restrictions with it.

We shall see! I have some great experienced folks helping out with stage design and hope to have some creative, challenging but not gimmicky stages to offer.

4moa - 4" @ 100 that's a tough target

4moa - 8" @ 200 Ok target if it can be seen, like black with a white sand berm behind it

4moa - 12" @ 300 I've never shot a target that big at 300 except for Larue's. 12" at 300 you should get free cigars and 6 packs from all the iron shooters

Edited by springy

4moa - 12" @ 300 I've never shot a target that big at 300 except for Larue's. 12" at 300 you should get free cigars and 6 packs from all the iron shooters

In that case they will be 24" targets!!

Yuengling please.

Glad to see this announcement and the date not being a week earlier since we have the Freedom Munitions match at Clinton House, SC. that weekend. We have gone from almost no 3 gun matches around the SE to having some on consecutive weekends! I hope to be there.

Thanks for taking this on. While I prefer matches that include some natural terrain stages along with bay stages, that is just something we cannot have here in Coastal Georgia and FL. I know it is a bit different for you, but thanks for giving it a shot.

While I am not a huge fan of single gun stages, it is easy for that one stage to tank a whole match, it is not unusual- especially shotgun. Having just shot the 3GN SE Regional match, I was surprised how much I really enjoyed the 2 stages that each were set in 2 bays similar to what yous see with the Pros. Something we do at our local 3 gun matches since we have smaller bays.

Having just shot the 3GN SE Regional match, I was surprised how much I really enjoyed the 2 stages that each were set in 2 bays similar to what yous see with the Pros. Something we do at our local 3 gun matches since we have smaller bays.

Is there video of this Tim or can you explain the stage in more detail and why you liked it?

Thanks for taking on 3 gun. It's always good to see more matches out there.

Have you considered the stage length yet? Winning stage times under 30 seconds? 30-45? Over 100 seconds?

Thanks!

A little Bryan. I figure some stages are going to take longer than others.

Logistics are certainly one of my concerns as MD. Pistol matches are pretty easy. I think I've left the schedule pretty lax to accommodate longer stage times.

Though I don't have a ton of 3 Gun experience I do have quite a bit of competition shooting experience. I like the 100 pt stage value of the USPSA Time Plus system. I understand the argument of weighting misses or mistakes differently but I look at more in valuing skill sets. If you're a close range rifle hoser and smoke that stage or a great shotgunner and smoke that stage or kill the long range or multi gun stage you are rewarded. But the person more well rounded should prevail. That's my theory anyway.

I'm excited to put on the match!

Having just shot the 3GN SE Regional match, I was surprised how much I really enjoyed the 2 stages that each were set in 2 bays similar to what yous see with the Pros. Something we do at our local 3 gun matches since we have smaller bays.

Is there video of this Tim or can you explain the stage in more detail and why you liked it?

Another thing we try to do at our local 3GN matches and they do at a lot of the big matches is to have options on what you shoot with what. For instance we often could shoot white painted steel with either shotgun or pistol, etc.

I found a couple (not sure who the shooters were in the first two, just found the video) of the 3 "bay" stages. Stage 1 and 2 were the 2 bay stages and 3 was in one large bay. All 3 stages were 3 gun stages.

Stage 1-

Stage 2-

Stage 3- This one is Keith Garcia shooting stage 3, rifle had close paper and steel poppers and a dueling tree at 50 to 60yds, shotgun steel and then pistol at the end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chatter has been a bit quiet on this match. Looks like Sig has signed up as the title sponsor. http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/318267

How's match prep coming Smitty?

Good.

Sponsor page updated today. http://www.universalshootingacademy.com/matches/3-gun-championship/sponsors/

Hope to have a decent table. A little late to the game but folks are coming through for me.

I have a pool of stages together and plan to have them narrowed down and posted by the first of June.

We have a local match Saturday and I'm going to test out some ideas. (not running the stages to be clear)

will there be a powerfactor for rifle? pistol?

We will be using USPSA Time Plus scoring. No power factor.

Virtual shooters meeting and match book will be on the website early next month with more explanation, round counts, type, etc.

• 2 weeks later...