Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Fallen Brethren Challenge

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question regarding a comment that I think I heard during the pre-prize table ceremony.

The statement that I think that I heard was that this match was the 2nd largest 3-Gun match in the country in terms of number of registered shooters. According to the shooter results sheets posted on-line there were approximately 254 competitors...

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun match has claimed over 300 competitors for the last 2-3 years and I did not hear their match identified as number 1 (it may not be No. 1, but it is a reference point). What am I missing? Are some of the shooter scores missing from the on-line results?

I would like to know the "large match" criteria used so that I can put it into perspective. Regardless, FB3G 2014 was/is a great match and they pushed a large number of shooters thru 10 stages in a tad over 2.5 days!

Edited by Rookie

www.matchdirector.com. Hit tab, competitor, then search for the match by name.....Fallen (hit search) two matches will appear, 2013 and 2014. Obviously hit 2014. On the right side of the page is a box with Scores....choose what you'd like to see. I'll send PDF to Brook to post on FB3Gun.com shortly.

Edited by Ms. Kitty

www.matchdirector.com. Hit tab, competitor, then search for the match by name.....Fallen (hit search) two matches will appear, 2013 and 2014. Obviously hit 2014. On the right side of the page is a box with Scores....choose what you'd like to see. I'll send PDF to Brook to post on FB3Gun.com shortly.

Thank you,,, I get that,, far, and see those scores,

combined scores, all divisions, is what I'm looking for,,

I kind of, geek out a bit on the numbers, to see what equipment, and the shooter,,, may and may not. have advantages, and disadvantages. that is why I like to see a

All Divisions

Combined Scores

If possible. If not,,, that's cool,,, just thought I'd ask,

Hello Rookie. To answer your question, the ProAm boasts the largest registration with roughly 200+ Pros and 200+ Ams. We have 350+ registrants and were anticipating 330 shooters. Sadly, we had a boatload of folks who had to miss the event due to budget cutbacks. Jim and Sheldon are already addressing next year's match to make it faster paced with less felt down time. Glad you could make it this year and we look forward to seeing you again in just 360 days.

-6-

Edited by Spartan-6

Hello Rookie. To answer your question, the ProAm boasts the largest registration with roughly 200+ Pros and 200+ Ams. We have 350+ registrants and were anticipating 330 shooters. Sadly, we had a boatload of folks who had to miss the event due to budget cutbacks. Jim and Sheldon are already addressing next year's match to make it faster paced with less felt down time. Glad you could make it this year and we look forward to seeing you again in just 360 days.

-6-

THIS.....right there.....is why I'm already looking forward to coming back. They listened last year and we immediately noticed the pile of LaRue targets under a tree (not on the courses of fire).

Every match has it's issues, and this match was no different. Sometimes the issues are easily fixed, sometimes the issues cannot be foreseen do to mother nature's involvement, sometimes it takes an entirely different thought process or relatively expensive investment to fix. The difference that comes into play is when an MD/RM is willing to address constructive criticism to make positive changes in order to make the next year's match better. I've already fired an email off to Jim, thanking him and Mr. Blackwell for putting the match on, along with constructive criticism that I saw could be easily fixed to make the match even better.

I personally like the range there as well, or better, than any range in the country that I've shot at to date....the RO's were excellent IMO....the food at lunches rocked.... now to start thinking about squad requests for 2015. Sandra, I want to be squadded with everyone in the top 20 of each division...ok? I will bring you wine of course! :devil:

I had a blast at this one. It was certainly one of the most challenging matches I've been to. Kudos to all the event staff and ROs for running a smooth match. It certainly helps when you don't have a bunch of "range nazis" running the show.

I think the only big thing that I would have changed would have centered around the black paint used on the long-range steel targets. Specifically, on stage 8, when you got onto your sights, those 10 targets across the back disappeared into the trees. I realize this match is supposed to be challenging, but the point of the stage is to shoot the target, not hunt around and find the target. When all you can see is an orange stick (and sometimes not even that) it doesn't help much. I know that

There was lots of discussion on the field about stage 10 also. While it was a fun stage to shoot, unless you are in the top 5% of shooters, you didn't have much of a chance in finishing the stage. There were several of us who ran the math and decided to "game it" instead of shooting the entire stage in order to pick up the stage points. I think if the 2nd long-range array was removed from that stage, or if those 3 targets had been mixed in with the other 5, it would have been an AWESOME stage. Just my 2 cents....take it as such.

I'm looking forward to FB3G 2015. I'm there for sure!

Stage 8 was definitely a tough stage for 1x shooters. The Full Size Ipsc were not to bad as you could see the "box" outline of a target. the ABC zones provided one hell of a challenge, and shout out to Chris Harpin for giving me a tip about the bent pole in the middle of the field :cheers: . I never did see the ABC zone target at the 280-300 and the two to the right of the neon, however with a little bit of sight referencing and paying attention to the RO when he would call a hit while I was "bracketing" shots it was dooable, and quite fun. Stage 10 was the only stage I've ever timed out in 3gun for the past 5 years :blush: . Damn those 500 yard shots, My fault I never get a opportunity to practice at that distance with a 1x scope, and the wind provided a bit of a challenge but I get to shoot in wind all the time up here so no biggy.

All in all, It was a Great match. I don't mind tough at all, and Field courses will always be 300% better then any berm course, plus the food was great! OH and thank you Don B. for saving my life at the end of the match! the lemonade was the best thing going :goof:

-6-

Pro Am had 541 total, but it really is 2 matches that are held at the same location, on the same weekend. FNH 3 Gun had 345 competitors.

Linda Chico

-6-

Pro Am had 541 total, but it really is 2 matches that are held at the same location, on the same weekend. FNH 3 Gun had 345 competitors.

Linda Chico

Linda & Spartan 6

Thanks for the information, I'm going with the definition of... biggest = single match with the most competitors that show up. It makes sense that "the size of the match" is determined by the number of shooters run thru the stages... and this should include those that showed up for the match, but may not have finished for one reason or another (can you say DQ?). FNH 3 Gun is certainly up there... and SMM3G has had over 345 competitors for the last 3 years (2012 - 2014). Perhaps it does not matter which match is the biggest... but that's easier to define (and defend) than the question "which match is the best?".

-6-

THIS.....right there.....is why I'm already looking forward to coming back. They listened last year and we immediately noticed the pile of LaRue targets under a tree (not on the courses of fire).

Every match has it's issues, and this match was no different. Sometimes the issues are easily fixed, sometimes the issues cannot be foreseen do to mother nature's involvement, sometimes it takes an entirely different thought process or relatively expensive investment to fix. The difference that comes into play is when an MD/RM is willing to address constructive criticism to make positive changes in order to make the next year's match better. I've already fired an email off to Jim, thanking him and Mr. Blackwell for putting the match on, along with constructive criticism that I saw could be easily fixed to make the match even better.

I personally like the range there as well, or better, than any range in the country that I've shot at to date....the RO's were excellent IMO....the food at lunches rocked.... now to start thinking about squad requests for 2015. Sandra, I want to be squadded with everyone in the top 20 of each division...ok? I will bring you wine of course! :devil:

I think she prefers Tito's... :)

I had a blast at this one. It was certainly one of the most challenging matches I've been to. Kudos to all the event staff and ROs for running a smooth match. It certainly helps when you don't have a bunch of "range nazis" running the show.

I think the only big thing that I would have changed would have centered around the black paint used on the long-range steel targets. Specifically, on stage 8, when you got onto your sights, those 10 targets across the back disappeared into the trees. I realize this match is supposed to be challenging, but the point of the stage is to shoot the target, not hunt around and find the target. When all you can see is an orange stick (and sometimes not even that) it doesn't help much. I know that

There was lots of discussion on the field about stage 10 also. While it was a fun stage to shoot, unless you are in the top 5% of shooters, you didn't have much of a chance in finishing the stage. There were several of us who ran the math and decided to "game it" instead of shooting the entire stage in order to pick up the stage points. I think if the 2nd long-range array was removed from that stage, or if those 3 targets had been mixed in with the other 5, it would have been an AWESOME stage. Just my 2 cents....take it as such.

I'm looking forward to FB3G 2015. I'm there for sure!

Agreed on all points here. I think that this was a couple (while major) target presentation changes away from being one of the funner matches I have ever shot.. As it was it felt like getting beat up by a German hooker... fun but painful.

Stage 8 was definitely a tough stage for 1x shooters. The Full Size Ipsc were not to bad as you could see the "box" outline of a target. the ABC zones provided one hell of a challenge, and shout out to Chris Harpin for giving me a tip about the bent pole in the middle of the field :cheers: . I never did see the ABC zone target at the 280-300 and the two to the right of the neon, however with a little bit of sight referencing and paying attention to the RO when he would call a hit while I was "bracketing" shots it was dooable, and quite fun. Stage 10 was the only stage I've ever timed out in 3gun for the past 5 years :blush: . Damn those 500 yard shots, My fault I never get a opportunity to practice at that distance with a 1x scope, and the wind provided a bit of a challenge but I get to shoot in wind all the time up here so no biggy.

All in all, It was a Great match. I don't mind tough at all, and Field courses will always be 300% better then any berm course, plus the food was great! OH and thank you Don B. for saving my life at the end of the match! the lemonade was the best thing going :goof:

+1 on target size too for Limited shooters. That is why the common target size used is generally 4 MOA.

Great match. I loved all the slug targets. Easily one of the best administered matches that I attend. I plan on being there in 2015.

The slugs were my favorite part of the match. They are super fun and under-used in my opinion.

This match wasn’t a match for beginners, and us fat old men were challenged for sure. Everyone had the luck of the draw as far as lighting conditions and winds were concerned. I will definitely go next year and try to avoid the mishap that got me DQ’ed this time. Many thanks to all who were involved to make it happen. The purchase of my fancy new CMC trigger and the Sam Adams helped me get over my DQ blues!!

Sorry for the DQ, but way to go hgr2.

I've finally switched from ice packs on my knees to Bio-Freeze ointment. Onward to the next one.

Special thanks to the RO's that ran with us up and down and across the Texas Terrain. One RO told me he yelled "hit" over 3000 times.

Another way to go to the RO's.

Special shout out to Mike Pridemore, owner/developer of Matchdirector.com. Thank you for allowing me to use your program. :bow:

Being able to follow the scoring as the match progresses is one of the best innovations in the sport over the last few years. Thanks to everyone in the admin building for doing what you do to keep thing moving smoothly!

Hey! I just remembered something (boy, this getting old and the CRS that goes with it really sucks)! Friday morning one of the RO's borrowed my timer, and I haven't gotten it back, yet. Our squad (19) was walking from stage 9 to stage 10 when some RO's came along in a pickup, asking if anybody had a timer they could borrow. I did, and they did, and I guess they still have it.

So whoever borrowed my timer, please message me, and let's send that lost doggy back home.

:-)

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Tommy

This was my 2nd big match and had a blast. I've been busy with school and life and only shot 2 matches the past 4 months and this was a humbling experience. Didn't help much I had to shoot stages 8-10 with a constant 17-20 mph wind with gust up to 25.

I will def be back next year

I shot the match on Thursday and had to leave that night. Is there a way I can buy a T shirt?