Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Fallen Brethren Challenge

Have the 2014 match stages been posted? I have only found the 2013 stages on the fb3g website. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place.

Stages were posted on 9/17 last year. That's the calendar day equivalent to tomorrow...... Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!!!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly question, I have not shot this match before or been to the range.

I was zeroing my rifle and checking shotgun slugs, and was wondering what distances should I expect.

I know Sheldon B and I know he likes Rifle!

I'm all dialed in. and as ready as I'm going to be.

and I'm just wondering!

I was zeroing my rifle and checking shotgun slugs, and was wondering what distances should I expect.

and I'm just wondering!

Last year all of the slug targets weren't any further than ~50 yards. The rifle was from in close out to ~525.

If it's anything like last year, you'll need to know more than your easy bracket holds (300, 400, 500.....) There were plenty of targets at long distances that were random. Something like 366, 431, 484...... I know he made the statement last year to know your holdovers. I thought I did. He definitely proved me wrong.

ETA..... There are also a fair amount of elevation changes that are available depending on the stage design. If you have a rangefinder that has true ballistic range capabilities, it would be good to turn that option on. Or, ask around in your squad for someone that has a rangefinder that will do it.

Edited by Rhodie

and I'm just wondering!

Last year all of the slug targets weren't any further than ~50 yards. The rifle was from in close out to ~525.

If it's anything like last year, you'll need to know more than your easy bracket holds (300, 400, 500.....) There were plenty of targets at long distances that were random. Something like 366, 431, 484...... I know he made the statement last year to know your holdovers. I thought I did. He definitely proved me wrong.

ETA..... There are also a fair amount of elevation changes that are available depending on the stage design. If you have a rangefinder that has true ballistic range capabilities, it would be good to turn that option on. Or, ask around in your squad for someone that has a rangefinder that will do it.

Cool and thank you,,, I have a Horus, on my gun and I have a range finder,, and zeroed at 300 I have my holds worked, from point blank to 750,, I had to play with it a lil bit,, but I got some 750 hits, today,, 500 was good to go and 250 was way easy,,

I hate slugs,,, but my gun likes them out to 60 yards,, then they get a bit WIDE,, if you know what i mean,,

Thanks again for the info.

Last year there was one gong at 500ish. The difference between this match and the 1-2 Rocky Mountain matches I shot is that you typically get to shoot the hard stuff prone in a good shooting position.

Or off of a giant chunk of rock.

Surprisingly, the rock was pretty steady once you had your lower body comfortable. It's the wind in the valley when there is no wind at the rock that is tricky. If it wasn't for the visible bullet splash last year, I would have been in big trouble.

Last year there was one gong at 500ish. The difference between this match and the 1-2 Rocky Mountain matches I shot is that you typically get to shoot the hard stuff prone in a good shooting position.

Or off of a giant chunk of rock.

Surprisingly, the rock was pretty steady once you had your lower body comfortable. It's the wind in the valley when there is no wind at the rock that is tricky. If it wasn't for the visible bullet splash last year, I would have been in big trouble.

Hell last year there was wind at the rock, in the valley, and up on the slope all going different directions until day three. I don't think some of my bullets even got to the target side intact.

I only remember shooting 2-3 easy targets off that stupid rock. The rest was prone wasn't it?

I shot all of mine from the top of the rock. The description said from within the fault lines. But, I don't remember any true fault lines. Maybe a couple of sticks on the ground. I believe it was more like "stay adjacent to the rock and don't fall off of the cliff".

From the rock. It did not help that I shot 2 larue targets 15 times with them calling a "miss" because the damn things would not fall even though I was watching splatter from them! I was the 1st shooter on that stage on Friday morning. I found out at lunch that there were a lot of issues with the larue's on stage 9. Hopefully this year they are working if they are being used in the valley again.

From the rock. It did not help that I shot 2 larue targets 15 times with them calling a "miss" because the damn things would not fall even though I was watching splatter from them! I was the 1st shooter on that stage on Friday morning. I found out at lunch that there were a lot of issues with the larue's on stage 9. Hopefully this year they are working if they are being used in the valley again.

So your saying bring 75'grs. lol

After the match last year, Jim Smith said that Larues would not be used again and he seemed pretty adamant, due to all the trouble they were having with them.

It did not help that I shot 2 larue targets 15 times with them calling a "miss" because the damn things would not fall even though I was watching splatter from them!

You had to hit them high. It wasn't the RO's fault, as they clearly stated that the Larue had to fall. I was hitting it with 69gr and they would fall if you hit them in the head just fine. Hit them lower than that and it wasn't a sure thing. The ROs were following what they were told and applying them the same way across multiple shooters that I watched. It was the Larue targets' fault if anything. If I recall correctly, some people hitting them with 55gr in the torso definitely had trouble. Or some people were hitting the base.......

Regardless, hopefully they have gongs/flashers, what have you that will register clean hits.

Edited by AustinWolv

Better bring a .308 if there are LaRue targets.

Allow 4th gun / second rifle? :-)

I found that a LaRue rifle with 168gr pills knocks LaRue targets down.

One reason I like to shoot 308,, now and again!!

For people that bring ATVs, is there a place to securely park them onsite at the range overnight? I'd like to bring mine, but I'd rather not have to deal with loading it up at the end of each day to drag it back to the hotel (and find a place to park a truck/trailer.)

For people that bring ATVs, is there a place to securely park them onsite at the range overnight? I'd like to bring mine, but I'd rather not have to deal with loading it up at the end of each day to drag it back to the hotel (and find a place to park a truck/trailer.)

It's out in the middle of nowhere. You could leave it running all night and it wouldn't go anywhere.