Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai custom "stroked" slide?

Akkid17

Saw this on their website and I am trying to figure out the purpose of it. I see that it's to lengthen the slide action of the gun but I don't get out that's supposed to benefit the shooter. Anyone out there in the know on this? I'm curious in regards to a 9mm (mainly minor/rarely major ammo) open gun of that make a difference.

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by Akkid17

It increases the distance the slide travels therefore spreading the recoil out over a longer distance. It is supposed to reduce the felt recoil. I have no personal experience with it but that is what I was told by Shay when I asked about it.

Is it an advantage to a 9 minor open gun or mainly just for major PF guns open or otherwise? Saw a post about it for limited guns but not much for open guns. The reason I ask is that I'm wanting to get a gun built in the near future and since I mainly shoot 3-gun and steel it will rarely see major PF ammunition.

Thanks,

Ben

As I understand it, it's kinda like tuning AR gas. A significant portion of the recoil you feel is the slide bottoming out at the end of its travel, just like the buffer bottoming out in an AR buffer tube. The longer stroke allows time for the magazine to advance a cartridge up while your spring selection lets you prevent the slide from banging hard at the end of its travel. Ideally, the slide reverses direction just shy of bottoming out. To accomplish that with standard slide stroke, you would have to use a very stiff recoil spring. This increases slide velocity to the point that the magazine can't feed fast enough, and also prevents the slide stop from functioning. In an AR, you can just turn down the gas supply until your buffer quits bottoming out. However, it overshoots the bolt stop by 3/8 inch so it still has time to engage the bolt even if it doesn't go all he way back, and turning gas down SLOWS the cycling, preventing feed issues.

That makes sense, I suppose with being a small percentage of the total cost it would be worthwhile to go ahead and make the gun as well tuned and nice as possible if I'm going to be putting that much into it already.

Thanks for the input,

Ben

Akkid, a friend of mine had Shay put it on his and he said it made a significant difference in felt recoil. Shay is building mine now and i'm having it put on mine. For the cost, well worth it IMO.

It'd be nice to have the money to get two identical guns one with the extended stroke and one without to actually get a real comparison to see how much difference there is and at what PF it is the most dramatic. I'd think that the major PF ammo allow you to make better use of the extended slide play since you would still have a decent spring in the gun to keep it moving quick enough to not have it feel like it's rolling in your hand. Although I doubt many, if any, would be able to tell.

It'd be cool if akai would update their site with some newer pics of guns like this one I found and maybe a couple of slides pulled all the way back of stroked and non-stroked guns to show a difference. It may not actually be that much of a benefit in seeing how it works but I know it would satiate my curiosity.

And yeah, that's a stupid sick gun, and I want it real bad.

post-40105-0-80337100-1396230677_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Its the slide thats cut. I own two stroked Akai 40s (one is my wife's) and i let people shoot it all the time and they love it. It just shooters flatter and softer.

Figured as much. I'd have to grab a gun to look at...but I think a little bit of the reverse plug tunnel gets milled off and the ends of the rails (on the slide) are milled so they don't bottom out on the frame rails. The inside of the tunnel may also get cut to accommodate the shoulder on the reverse plug..or maybe the reverse plug is also modified? Can you tell how much of the reverse plug tunnel got cut back? Of course, we could just ask Shay and see if he'll share his secrets. :)

D

Edited by ExtremeShot