Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best round for compensated Open div 10rd limit?

kamikaze1a

At one time I believe 45acp was THE round for Open div. Now 9/38 rules but I think the mag capacity has a lot to do with that.

If mag capacity was removed from the equation or say you lived in a 10rd limit area, would 9/38 still be the choice? In other words, in regards to a comp, do small bore loads put out more or better gas than big bore?

Actually if I were forced into a ten round only open gun I would go with the 45 " 80s flash back" There is an excellent one listed in the classifieds right now...

edit..its sold...

Edited by Rick88

If I was required to run "Open10" I'd still use a .38 super. As others have said once you kick a compensator into the equation then the nod definitely goes to a .38/9mm high velocity load with lots of powder for gas to run the compensator. Plus you don't need to have extended mags to hold 10 rounds in a .38 Super/9mm single stack gun.

OL - I remember reading a post a while ago from Mike Boyd inquiring about interest in a "Retro" match which (IIRC) would require the typical guns and gear used in the 1990 time frame (no optics, no hi-caps,). Sounds like it would be a fun novelty match. Extra points should be awarded if you wear neon, too. :P

Edited by Bamboo

Well I am in an area where we all have a 10rd limit and we are all running hi cap frames with .38super and 9mm. Very few .357 sig and no 9x25 to speak of. The odd guys runs a .40 and I know of only one guy running a .45 open gun.

I would say 357sig because you get the small dia light bullet of the 9/38s guns with large powder charges and cheep brass (make it from 40sw)

I will say I am a little crazy though because that's what I am running without a capacity limit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm old enough that my first comp gun was in 45, made the switch to super in 94, & never looked back

The super just recoils flatter and quicker than a 45

Years later, I dovetailed a front sight on the slide of my old 45 compgun, removed the comp and cut the barrel, and instant limited gun

For us here in Hawaii we're forced to shoot Open 10. Everyone shooting Open shoots either .38SC/Super, or 9mm major with the occasional .40. When I was planning my Open gun build I briefly thought about other options such as .357 SIG or 9x25 Dillon, but the brass issue was the deciding factor. Had the Open gun chambered in .38SC.

Edited by blaster113

Wish USPSA would make a "classic" division. I have a few old single stack pin guns...

I was just talking to a guy about this today.

Just imagine how many old single stack comp guns would come out of the back corners of safes.

I turned one of mine into a 9mm SS gun BUT I still have the 38 super, barrel with the comp on it. Yes with the front sight on the comp.!!!!

Think I'll ask our guys if they would be interested in a fun shoot one of these months to include "classic" division

jcc7x7

.357 sig for cheap brass, high powder capacity, and ability to use lightweight bullets. You'll get more gas volume to work the comp than a 9/38. 9x25 would have even more gas, but brass is more expensive.

That said, 357 sig is limiting in that it won't be competitive at a match in a free state.

I'm probably one of the few people who would actually like Open 10, as it would bring mag changes back to Open Division.

Edited by mpolans

Quite a few .357 Sig shooters here in Canada. Many more 9mm and .38 Super shooters though. It may just be easier to find guns / parts for open in .38sc / 9mm. Brass is easy to find for .357 Sig, since you neck .40 anyways.

Out your way maybe, hardly any out here.

I've toyed with the idea of a .357 sig Open gun a few time, but every time I think about a new set of dies and expensive brass, I say "that's stupid, I should just build a 38 super", then I think "that's stupid, I already have three flat shooting 9mms!"

I've toyed with the idea of a .357 sig Open gun a few time, but every time I think about a new set of dies and expensive brass, I say "that's stupid, I should just build a 38 super", then I think "that's stupid, I already have three flat shooting 9mms!"

I can understand the dies but the brass is not a problem just put 40 into the press and 357sig comes out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk