Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Molded ears...

shane8168

Seeing more and more molded ear protection lately. The ones I've done myself a few years back didn't turn out so well... I read a post on here about some tips (push them in deeper, hold your jaw just right, etc...)

My question is, are people getting custom molded ones now or doing their own?

My wife and I were fitted for Hear-Pro plugs at the Alabama sectional match this weekend. We bought two pairs. One set that will be done at their shop and mailed to us and another set to wear today. They worked great. I don't see wearing earmuffs again anytime soon. IMO, it's best to have them fitted versus DIY.

So I searched insta mold and can't figure out how you get those... Are they sold as a do it yourself kit?

As far as I know they are not do it yourself. I had mine done by a guy in Arizona that also makes prescription shooting glasses. You probably need to find someone locally that has a franchise. Could be wrong, and the company might sell kits to anyone.

There are usually people around that do this for a living. The lady that goes to the local shows actually goes around to factories and makes plugs on site for the workers.

Talk to the person making the plugs. I had mine done while traveling at a gun range in Nashville. I had the filters put in so I could hear a little and use muffs as required. The lady that does them locally is not as comfortable putting in the filters as some times the material fails during her attempts. It depends on the size of your ear canals to some extent but I like the filters and tubes installed in mine.

If you can afford the electronic Hear Pros I highly recommend them. I won a pair at Double Tap last year and love them. The passive ones work great also. Ill never where head gear again. Hear Pros customer service is awesome.

Hear-Pro is the way to go. The instant plugs are great for instant gratification, but the plugs that are made in a lab from good, we'll - fit impressions are always going to be better. Check out the Hear-Pro Pro-37's, they have one of the highest NRR ratings around and still allow you to hear conversation - level sounds due to the properties of the polymer from which they are made.

bought some of the made on site's from hear pro and have used them for about a year...at alabama state got a certificate in match bag so put that towards some of the 37's and just got them in mail...looks like will work even better and may keep my wife from haveing to yell at me at the range ....