Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 or new 41?

steviesterno

Ok, I know they are different animals but I figured I would ask here first. I'm just coming up on my first GSSF renewal, so if I don't win another glock in a match this May, I want to pick one up. Last year I got a gen 4 17, so I could shoot the most GSSF divisions with it. Now, I think a glock might make a perfect full-time truck gun, in addition to being a range blaster. I currently run 1911s and M&Ps, and I don't think I'll get as used to the grip angle as I need to for competition, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I'm thinking either the 19 or a 41 would make for that full time truck/bug out gun.

Pros for the 19: I like the size, 9mm holds a bunch of boolits, and i have 17 mags that will work in it. Also it's smaller if I need or want to CCW it at some point

For the 41: It's a big ass hand cannon, and that appeals to me. I load and like 45 more than 9. It still holds a lot, but it's going to take mags I don't have. Almost no chance of ever CCW and probably a tad less moveable in tight quarters. Longer sight radius and 45 would be moving pretty quick out of that barrel.

So what do you think? I would be open to other suggestions as well, but want to stick with 9 or 45 as I'm out of my last 40 stuff. Something I'm not thinking? I believe I would only shoot this new one in GSSF if it worked for a new division the 17 didn't.

let me know what you think, and thanks for the help!

Steve

Like Kevin, my console gun is a G19. Right now I shoot my G36 in Amateur Major Sub, and my G21 in Amateur Heavymetal, Amateur Civilian, just for the heck of it Amateur Competition. All shooting minor PF.

If you purchased a G41, you will only be able to shoot it in Amateur Competition, along with the other competitors shooting G34 and G35.

I'm on the wait list at Bud's for a G41, which I'll shoot in Production, and L-10, in USPSA. I'll keep my G21 (I think) for my nightstand, and for GSSF.

I would consider the G21. It would give you the 45 for the console gun, and it would give you a new division for GSSF. 13 rnds should be plenty for a self defense gun. The 41 would be in the competition division and isn't the best choice, a g34 would be a better choice for that

I just picked up a G41. I have never liked the G21 because it was so big, both the slide and frame. The new G41 slide is near the same size as my competition G34, even fits the same holsters. The frame of the G41 is a little bigger than the G34, but not as fat as the G21. I guess it's due to the gen 4 differences. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm digging the way it feels. I don't like the dual recoil spring set up, I'll probably change it out to a un-captured guide rod and spring, along w/ new sights, trigger work, and a MOD 1 stipple and undercut, but other than that, I'll leave it stock. :)

I carry a G19 and shoot a G34 in 3 gun, so I figured this would be a good gun for Heavy Metal.

I've read a few reviews from people claiming the 41 recoils more than the 21- I do not know how valid this claim is.

What I can tell you for certain is that (in my opinion) the G19 is Glock's best gun. It is not too small or too big, it is very shootable, and at least from what I have seen, it is one of the more accurate Glock models.

I have done 5" groups at 50 yards with the 19 off the bench. I am lucky to get 5" groups at 25 yards with the 34 off the bench. The barrel on the 19 fits noticeably tighter. It could just be due to tolerancing and my luck of the draw, but it is still what I have observed.

That being said, I would still want to pick up a 41 after the 19, so my answer is buy both- use GSSF coupon on the 41 because the savings are more significant, and scout around for the right dealer for the 19. I have seen them for under $500 for gen 3 and even gen 4 occasionally.

Just to confuse you some more, check out the G30s. It is about the size of the 19 (when you use the 10 round mags) but it is a .45 acp.

i have the 41, and 3 19s. for what your looking for the 19 is a better choice. I bought the 41 just to say i HAVE it, and to match the other 45s. that being said my 2 cents is that it doesnt even compare to the 19. my all time fav are the 4G19s

I grabbed a Glock 41 just too be cool and the fact that it drops into my 34 set up is a huge plus too. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in recoil from my 21SF I had before to the 41 now !!! Get both 41 and 19 if you can haha!