Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deltapoint part deux!

Akkid17

You guys are killing me i just bought 3 RTS 2's :goof: .... would like to hear more stuff about them so i can see if i want them.

I just mounted a new RTS2 to my Open Gun and I love it. I heard mixed reviews, but I am very happy with mine. I will be putting one on my backup gun, as well as my Steel Challenge gun.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are killing me i just bought 3 RTS 2's :goof: .... would like to hear more stuff about them so i can see if i want them.

I just mounted a new RTS2 to my Open Gun and I love it. I heard mixed reviews, but I am very happy with mine. I will be putting one on my backup gun, as well as my Steel Challenge gun.

Nice, I like the idea of the mini red dots for open guns, less real estate along with improved electronics and more rugged overall makes them a pretty sweet alternative to the traditional aimpoints and c-mores. Got a couple of buddies going with the rts 2, but I put a deltapoint on my side optic for my open rifle and fell in love with the triangle. So I'm going to pursue the delta 2 with the triangle for my next pistol.

Just need to find out when they're actually going to be put out for us to buy them. I may just snag up a used original deltapoint in the meantime to play around with. Having a second sight will give me a back up in case one of the others goes down later on. Or if I put another gun together I'll have a dot ready to go for it as well.

Good luck with the rts2 make sure you get the o-ring gasket for the battery compartment to avoid any electrical malfunctions.

Have a shooter here that has had an original deltapoint on his saiga for 2 years and it's still kicking. I wouldn't be worried about putting one on a slide. But I like my dot to sit still while I'm shooting and I can't get used to the sight bouncing back and forth with it slide mounted.

Are the RTS/STS a big improvement from the cmore slide ride?

The Slide Ride still has a bigger window, so there is a benefit to it in that regard, and it is going to be tough to beat the reliability of the Slide Ride. That being said, I like the smaller package of the RTS2 and the window is only slightly smaller. I do not recommend the STS. It has a much smaller window. The RTS2 also sits lower, so your dot is in a more natural position and you will not have the extraction issues you may potentially have with a 9major / Upright Slide Ride combo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clearly leupold doesn't know that I need this NOW! Good to know there's an actual light at the end of the tunnel now though. I was getting tired of the same google search saying "summer 2014"

• 2 months later...
Mounting ANY electronic sighting device on top of a slide is asking for failure, IMHO.

I have 2 open pistols with slide mounted Optics.

· The first one was done by SHPD (built around 1997-98) where the Optima weaver mount was trimmed down and screwed in to the slide retaining the locator points between the mount and optic to aid in not losing zero when changing batteries. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero. This Optima was a replacement under warranty when the first lens became loose in the body, no issues since on this optic. However as the Fire Point described below the electronics is becoming tired I will be replacing it with a second Delta point sometime this year.

· The second one has the Arredondo double battery package that Arredondo milled the slide for this has locator points machined in to the slide. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero on this set up either. This has had a Fire Point picked up on close out, no mechanical issues on this optic but the electronics were becoming tired; the dot is not as bright as it uses to be even with a double battery. I replaced it with a Delta point in 2010.

· I know of 5-6 other open pistols with slide mounted Optics built around the same time period of 1997 -2000 three with Dr Optics and the rest with Optima/ Jpoints that are all still working without any optics related issues.

So in 17 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds I “destroyed “ one sight and retired 2 for reticle brightness, that may just be a representation of the advances the manufactures are making in their electronics over the past 17 years. What exactly is your failure rate with slide mounted optics that your opinion is based on?

Out.

2011BLDR

Whoa, I do not have near the experience you have! Nor have I ever used a Dr. or Optima/Jpoints. I withdraw my opinion :bow:

My only experience is with Burris Fastfire's, I went through 4 of those in one year.

I went through 3

Maybe it's just Burris

I was going to put a Burris FF3 on my new build until I saw this. Now, I'm definitely going with the DP. Yes it will be slide mount.

Here's the thing for me: I see a lot of you talking about dot movement. Understand I have never put on optical sight on a 1911. Always shot iron sights. I have shot 1911s exclusively (as far as autopistols go) for 30 yrs. It indexes very well for me. So when I shoot, I'm looking at the target. I look at the sights only to confirm my aim before I squeeze off the shot. At that point the sights jump. No big deal. I'm looking at the next target unless I was foolish enough to squeeze the shot before I knew it was on target and I will know and remain on that target. The sight, or dot, moving means nothing to me. By the time the gun cycles and the sights are back where I need them I am already on target. Check the sights to confirm POI and squeeze the shot. I have always done well like that. If I am focused on the dot enough to see whether it moves or not, then I'm not looking at the target. The target is more important to me.

That being said, I have shot other peoples guns with C-mores and other optics. I still lose the dot when the shot goes off. No big deal, it's where I need it when I'm ready for the next shot. What I don't like about C-more and others, especially frame mounted is that they take up too much of my line of sight to the target. These small slide mounted units don't look like the base takes up more space than a Novak Lo-mount and the frame around the optic is thin enough not to get in the way. So it moves with the slide. I don't care. As long as it is in front of my eye to confirm I'm on target, that's all I ask.

For years I have said about coffee, "I like it how I like my women. Uncomplicated by additives." Same goes for sights.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard some talk that the new delta point will have a different mounting pattern, anyone have any confirmation on that?

I fired off an email to Leupold asking about the footprint/mounting arrangement. I'll post any response.

Got a response from the manufacturer and the footprint/mounting is the same as the original.

I heard some talk that the new delta point will have a different mounting pattern, anyone have any confirmation on that?

I fired off an email to Leupold asking about the footprint/mounting arrangement. I'll post any response.

Got a response from the manufacturer and the footprint/mounting is the same as the original.

Maybe not exactly. As I understand, the screw holes and locator pin holes are the same but the outside footprint differs slightly. You can see in the video in the first post (0:20 and 0:30) that rear of the case looks flat while the DP1 has a mild radius. You get a quick look at the front at 1:23 in the video. It looks flat also. Again, the DP1 has a radius. I have also heard this from a guy who does slide melts. He is waiting until he sees the new sight to do any new machining. I am guessing that they did the flats to save fab time. I hope it fits within the old outline!

Later,

Chuck

anyone know how much longer this will be for a wait? I want to put a slide ride optic on a gun for fun and like the DP, but if the new one is coming out then I'd rather have it.

Also, why the stupid triangle? that's the only thing on the sight making my think RMR instead