Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA or USPSA

DavidT2252

Haven't tried idpa but i have learned that when you change mag you have to put the used mag in your pocket or pouch before getting the new magazine. How can that be real life? In a gunfight, i dont think that you will remember that you'll just shoot your gun and if you ran out of ammo the hell with that used magazine, you'll throw it away as fast as you can and reload not minding where that used mag is assuming in a real gunfight you put your used mag in your pocket before you know it your opponent has shot you already bec of that procedure

You don't get a procedural when an empty magazine hits the ground. If you still have rounds in the mag then you reload with retention. That being said if you dump extra rounds in IDPA to empty your magazine that can be a procedural.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it should be a big shocker that IDPA (a game) doesn't reflect real world shooting tactics. Sometimes its okay to drop a mag with ammo in it, sometimes its not, and it depends on the situation. Its hard to build a sport around that kind of thing.

If IDPA wanted to reflect real life then people should be able to use any gun they can conceal, shoot stages however they want, and then have their stuff confiscated & get arrested by police after the course of fire with a potential year long lawsuit from the cardboard's families.

Haven't tried idpa but i have learned that when you change mag you have to put the used mag in your pocket or pouch before getting the new magazine. How can that be real life? In a gunfight, i dont think that you will remember that you'll just shoot your gun and if you ran out of ammo the hell with that used magazine, you'll throw it away as fast as you can and reload not minding where that used mag is assuming in a real gunfight you put your used mag in your pocket before you know it your opponent has shot you already bec of that procedure

You don't get a procedural when an empty magazine hits the ground. If you still have rounds in the mag then you reload with retention. That being said if you dump extra rounds in IDPA to empty your magazine that can be a procedural.

close, but still wrong. even if the mag is empty, if there is a round in the gun still, the mag must be stowed. yes, this is a dumb rule.

close, but still wrong. even if the mag is empty, if there is a round in the gun still, the mag must be stowed. yes, this is a dumb rule.

Yeah... There is a lot of debate about whether or not particular rules make sense but I doubt any one has come up with a good "tactical" reason why it's okay to drop an empty mag if you are completely empty but not okay if you have one in the chamber.

Yeah... There is a lot of debate about whether or not particular rules make sense but I doubt any one has come up with a good "tactical" reason why it's okay to drop an empty mag if you are completely empty but not okay if you have one in the chamber.

In a real gun fight i dont think you will be able to remember all the rules and for me the one thing you'll remember is how to survive

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

I shoot both of the sports. Mostly IDPA becuase it seems to work out better for my schedule. I like both of them but I see where people can have issues with one or the other. The only issue I have is with the people who bash one or the other.

I shoot mostly paint ball and airsoft for real world training where people are shooting back... :-)

I would say that USPSA gives you one thing IDPA can't - the ability to make fast decisions if your plan goes to crap. That is more real life in my opinion - plans don't go right in real life. :-)

In a real gun fight i dont think you will be able to remember all the rules and for me the one thing you'll remember is how to survive

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

kittens everywhere are cursing you as their last breath is squeezed from them by an angry vengeful god.

I shoot both of the sports... ... I like both of them but I see where people can have issues with one or the other. The only issue I have is with the people who bash one or the other.

This works for me.

Somewhere I read that your perfect punch/kick/block/kata/form is going to be all wrong in any martial arts studio outside your own discipline. Ditto the guiding tenants, the philosophy, equipment and uniform. They're all right and they're all wrong, just depends on where you are coming from.

Try them both. Keep an open mind. Accept that they are different and enjoy each one for what each actually is in and of its own self, not for what it isn't based on any other outsider's perspective.

Edited by kevin c

I can't imagine ever choosing one over the other. Like blondes and brunettes. I like both. Hell, date a redhead too (shoot some steel)! Variety is the spice of life.

I mostly shoot IDPA because there are several clubs reasonably close that have weekly and monthly matches but if they were USPSA I'd sure as hell shoot em. They do some hybrid matches sometimes and one club is going to start doing monthly USPSA so I recently got my USPSA membership too and so I'll have an opportunity to shoot that more often. Love me some trigger time and I ain't none to picky about what kind of match is it.

If IDPA wanted to reflect real life then people should be able to use any gun they can conceal, shoot stages however they want, and then have their stuff confiscated & get arrested by police after the course of fire with a potential year long lawsuit from the cardboard's families.

And one hit on a non-threat would result in a lifetime ban from the sport.

This post is helping me a lot too. I just went down to a USPSA styled match to watch, mostly because I didn't have money or ammo, and I'm going to participate in and IDPA match tomorrow at Okeechobee to see if I like it any better

I have an honest IDPA question. I was watching a match video and before each stage it looked like the shooters were required to yell some sort of stage specific line. Is this normal at IDPA matches and do you have to do it? Is there any support in the IDPA rule book for it?

I shoot both of the sports... ... I like both of them but I see where people can have issues with one or the other. The only issue I have is with the people who bash one or the other.

Try them both. Keep an open mind. Accept that they are different and enjoy each one for what each actually is in and of its own self, not for what it isn't based on any other outsider's perspective.

And remember that this is a USPSA website for the most part (the op is sort of like asking a Muslim if he prefers pork or chicken).

I have an honest IDPA question. I was watching a match video and before each stage it looked like the shooters were required to yell some sort of stage specific line. Is this normal at IDPA matches and do you have to do it? Is there any support in the IDPA rule book for it?

The only thing I can imagine everyone yelling before a stage is when we are trying to gather all the shooters in a squad and yell out "stage description". There is definitely not a ritualistic or kumbaya moment that the shooting squad is commanded to do. Lol, I'm imagining like a "let's say grace before a meal" event prior to every stage. Let's say grace for this stage so that we may bring down glorious projectiles to its presence!

I shot that match, on the same squad as koski. It was based on a theme of movie shootouts, so shooters indicated they were ready by saying the line for that stage (like "hell's comin with me", or whatever).

Edited by motosapiens

Trying to decide which to shoot. Major differences?

In IDPA, they tell you which targets to shoot from where (with some choices).

In USPA, they don't tell you which targets to shoot from where; they set up barriers so you have to shoot certain targets from certain places (with some choices).

• 3 weeks later...

I am blessed to live in an area with an abundance of shooting opportunities, I shoot IDPA weekly, we have a steel match monthly, and USPSA monthly and I try to shoot all of them. They are all different but they are all fun. Shoot and enjoy!