Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Releasing magazine with trigger finger

Osage

Hah! Well anybody can put in blazing fast reloads on an open gun with double stack mags and a magwell like that :D

In all seriousness, I've just started to break major ground with my reloads and....drumroll....I am using my thumb to release the mag instead of my usual method of the middle finger. It's a lot more consistent for me for some reason or another. Just kinda clicked today during dryfire.

Now to practice those bad habits out of my brain.

I've only done this with one gun--An Hk USP45C I owned many moons ago. The USP mag release was an ambi pushdown lever blended into the rear of the trigger guard. I had to shift the gun in my hands a lot to hit it with my thumb and never got positive results (there were times when I'd miss pushing it far enough to release), so I used my trigger finger. For everything else, I use my thumb on my shooting hand. My only reason for not using my trigger finger is that it just feels unnatural.

I think that's the rub for a lot of shooters. Shifting your grip with the reload adds time and work to get back on target. I'm glad I added the thumb it out on my grips for my single stack and got an extended and oversized release for my double stack Para.

• 1 month later...

Depends on how long your finger are probably, I have always used my middle finger to press the mag release, this was just something I seemed to do naturally and it has always worked for me. I like it because the amount that I need to shift the gun in my hand is virtually zero, so I am able to get back on target faster than I can if I were to use my thumb. Im sure this definitely varies per person though, depending on how you hold the grip, how large your hand is, etc.

Seems like this is more of a training/preference than a real advantage/disadvantage.

What I mean is that for some shooters, it has become so ingrained to reposition their hands to drop the mag that it would not be of an advantage to try and retrain muscle memory to start using their index fingers.

On the other hand of someone tries it (moving the mag drop to the right side first of course) and find that they can accomplish it better/faster/more efficiently then for them it would be of an advantage.

• 4 months later...

I'm a lefty and currently the only USPSA suitable gun I own is a gen3 G34 so I absolutely have to do it. I'm not sure I like it but I like it better than shelling out money I don't currently have to get something different.

I don't understand how people are saying this is an advantage for left handers. It's not. When I try to press the mag release with my trigger I have to shift my gun slightly, and my finger had to press down hard. I can probably train with it more to work on the fatigue.

It's extremely easy to press the release with my thumb more then anything else. I wanna know why people think it's so easy.

Coincidently, without ever reading this thread prior to this morning, I just found and installed a quality right sided mag release button. I had an XDM that introduced my hand to the concept but I never really practiced it enough. It felt uncomfortable and strained my trigger finger to hit the button.

I recently picked up an STI Trojan and I hate the mag release because I have small hands. I ordered a lighter spring for the stiff mag release but I still have to shift the gun too much for my liking to do a mag change. Lucky for me, the location of the right sided mag release button is PERfect for my trigger finger to reach it without shifting the grip at all from a very firm grip. Bottom line is that we all do things that "work" for us. No 2 GM's are alike. They all do something different. So who cares what the upper echelon shooters are doing with the mag buttons. I sincerely doubt that how you hit the mag release button is stopping you from that M or GM classification.

I'm a lefty who's been running an XDm for a few years now with an extended mag release on the right side of the gun. I recently picked up a 2011 and it's quite the adjustment to have to release the mag with my left index finger. Fortunately, my mag release spring is light enough that it's not a problem, but it's gonna take some retraining to get used to it. I'm not aware of a right-side conversion out there for the 2011. I'd probably buy one if there was.

I'm a lefty with small hands and have tried to use my thumb to release the mag. My grip has to shift so severe that not only does it cost me more time it also causes me to shoot real sloppy do to a poor regrip. Since I started using my trigger finger I've improved in both times and accuracy. I feel I'd have to practice 100 times more using my thumb to get to the same level I'm at right now using trigger finger.

I've only done this with one gun--An Hk USP45C I owned many moons ago. The USP mag release was an ambi pushdown lever blended into the rear of the trigger guard. I had to shift the gun in my hands a lot to hit it with my thumb and never got positive results (there were times when I'd miss pushing it far enough to release), so I used my trigger finger. For everything else, I use my thumb on my shooting hand. My only reason for not using my trigger finger is that it just feels unnatural.

I had the same experience with a USP.

That is what I use on my 1911 (the IDPA version) so I can shoot SS and CDP. I ordered mine directly from Mitch at Bulletworks. I don't know if he still sells them directly. It was expensive but worth every penny.

I'm a lefty with small hands and have tried to use my thumb to release the mag. My grip has to shift so severe that not only does it cost me more time it also causes me to shoot real sloppy do to a poor regrip. Since I started using my trigger finger I've improved in both times and accuracy. I feel I'd have to practice 100 times more using my thumb to get to the same level I'm at right now using trigger finger.

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;-)

Being a left handed shooter, using a Kimber Custom, I personally feel it is very advantageous to use the index finger for the mag

release. Having only shot USPSA for three years, I find the mandatory movement to get your finger off the trigger is an automatic response which clears any RO DQ for having a finger in the wrong place.

Using the longer digit to find and release the mag button also aids in the ease under how much pressure can be applied at a better angle. The dexterity of the index finger seems to aid in the amount of pressure on the release and less movement to bring the pistol back into action. this movement allows me to keep the high grip on the gun while performing the action.

I have tried ambi mag releases but found it was not near as easy as using the index finger. But, in the end, the actual preference of each individual shooter plays the main role in how the firearm is handled.

• 2 weeks later...