Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm vs 38 super on 1911/2011 pistol

jimbullet

Not sure if this is the proper forum but since its all about 1911 style pistols, I thought it would be the place.

I am wanting to have a dedicated steel challenge 1911 or 2011 pistol for limited division. I am undecided though what caliber is best suited as I only need to run minor loads here.

I would like to know what caliber would you choose over the other and why?

Nothing really wrong with either caliber, but if I was building a new steel challenge type gun to shoot minor or (preferably) sub minor I'd get a 9mm only because the brass is cheap.

My old .38 super single stack open gun was converted to a "steel challenge" dedicated gun and works and runs fine after tweaking the springs and ammo to run sub-minor. I thought about getting a new 9mm barrel for it but it had just been re-barreled with a nice bar-sto before I quit using it and switched to a wide-body years ago. At club steel matches I seem to get >90% of my brass back so .38 super isn't such a loss at club matches.

Good Luck with your build!

For steel shoots brass recovery is easy.It should all be pretty easy to find,so to me brass would not be a problem..I have a few supers and love them they feed great mags not a big problem,no spacers needed for mags. Just my feel but I like the way the supers shoot.

Kneelingatlas - Recoil is very subjective so this just just my observation, but I've tried running 9mm in the gun I mentioned above and with the same bullet, same powder, and close to the same velocity I couldn't tell any difference in recoil between the 9mm or .38 super.

The gun ran fine with the 9mm ammo, but 1) the groups ranged from lousy to horrible and 2) at the sub-minor power factor range the 9mm case mouths did not seal and I had gas blow-by which left a slight mark on the breech face the same outer diameter as a 9mm case. So, I abandoned any further minor/sub-minor 9mm use in this gun and just stick with .38 super.

I don't think that sub-minor 9mm out of a 9mm chambered gun is a problem, it just didn't work for me out of a 38 super chamber.

Yeah, it's not meant to work. I've accidentally loaded 9mm into a 38SC open gun when I was doing a demo. The gun fired, but wouldn't run.

To the OP, go with a 9mm if you have a really good smith as the 1911 platform can be tricky with short ammo. I have one widebody 9mm and it's the most fun to shoot of all my guns.

I think 38 super will in general be more reliable right?

I don't know but have read and been told that OAL of the cartridge is a key piece of 1911 reliablility. 38 super is basically the same length as 45 230 ball ammo, hence an increase in reliability.

I have a Colt 1911 in 38 super. While I have not shot 1000's and 1000's of round through it subjectively I can tell you that the gun has functioned just fine as it came from the factory with remington factory 38 super ammo. No tweaking or any changes. It came from the factory with a couple of wilson mags and I have 1 colt mag, and they all work just fine.

I had a smith fit a briley 9m barrel to it and got some of the mec 9mm mags that have the indentation down the front. With my uspsa production load, the gun seems to work fine, but have only put a couple hundred rounds through it, so its not much data.

I'd suggest 9mm minor with a bushing barrel. Beside steel challenge you could shoot ESP in IDPA and Limited minor USPSA. Sugested this to a friend who wanted to shoot a little IPSC and only shoots factory ammo. Worked out great for him, good shooter so he usually down only a few points. Pistol holds 23 rounds with 140 tubes.

I'd suggest 9mm minor with a bushing barrel. Beside steel challenge you could shoot ESP in IDPA and Limited minor USPSA. Sugested this to a friend who wanted to shoot a little IPSC and only shoots factory ammo. Worked out great for him, good shooter so he usually down only a few points. Pistol holds 23 rounds with 140 tubes.

If you were looking for a multi purpose gun I'd recommend .40 so that you make major. In IDPA, .40 minor is crazy soft.

Go with the 9mm, it will run in a fatgun or a single stack. Brass is the key (cheaper). How did trajectory come into play ??? A fatgun in 9mm is like cheating and much more fun to shoot. No brass pick up is a great plus. Watch the brass rats scrounge like chickens is funny to me !!!