Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me about 9mm 1911s

rhgunguy

I have a 9mm Springfield Loaded Target, and it's been running wonderfully after I:

* Got a trigger job (the stock trigger pull was ugly)

* Got ammo that consistently would feed (factory worked fine, but the only time reloads would is those run through a Lee factory crimp die)

* Found a magazine that worked reliably (Checkmates... tried Wilson, Tripp and one other and none would feed well)

It feeds 115gr RN (FMJ), 135gr RN (moly coated) and 147gr FP (moly coated) for sure, hasn't had any reason to shoot anything else.

That said, I'd probably buy an STI were I to buy another.

Edited by Adam Sills

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a Springfield 9mm Target loaded and was very disappointed with it's accuracy. After two trips to the factory it would not do any better than 4 to 6 inch "shotgun patterns" at50 ft. I sold it and purchased a Dan Wesson PM-9 which provided nice tight ca. 1 inch ten shot groups at that same distance. Spare yourself the grief and get the Dan Wesson PM-9.

Similar problem with accuracy but I am continuing my experiments with bullet types, crimps, and charge weights. The chamber is the right length but throated way long. (I made a cast, nowhere close to SAMI.) I suspect that this is the cause. Any recommends for a know-good aftermarket barrel for coated lead bullets?

I too have a Springfield while it is a good gun I don't think I would make the same choice again. I have had several problems twice it failed during different matches and was a big disappointment but now that everything is fixed I'm happy with it. I has made two trips back to factory for the same issue before they got it right.

I have a Dan Wesson Guardian. Have had a reoccurring issue with a 3-point jam.

2noMTc1.jpg

It seems like it's happening most often with the Wilson mags. I've tried Metalform, Metalform "Springfield" mags, and Checkmate. The Checkmate (that came with it) seem to feed most reliably, but don't lock the slide back.

I love the gun when it runs, hate it when it jams in a match. Getting to the point where I don't really trust it.

2noMTc1.jpg

It seems like it's happening most often with the Wilson mags. I've tried Metalform, Metalform "Springfield" mags, and Checkmate. The Checkmate (that came with it) seem to feed most reliably, but don't lock the slide back.

I love the gun when it runs, hate it when it jams in a match. Getting to the point where I don't really trust it.

First thing I thought of seeing that is extractor needs tuning and maybe some relief at the bottom. Also maybe the feed ramp top needs rounding over a bit and maybe the top inside of the barrel throat needs polishing. I had a Para that did that a lot, was able to fix it. Any gunsmith should be able to tune it up pretty easily. Another thing is to shave the feed lips at the front of the mag just a touch so it lets the round go a little more smoothly. Edited by bountyhunter

I had that issue once with my 9mm 1911, it was with a wilson mag. I only use that mag as a barney now because my tripp mags have been 100% reliable since I got them.

It could also be the feed ramp, or the extractor.

2noMTc1.jpg

Reduce your OAL.

I had that issue once with my 9mm 1911, it was with a wilson mag. I only use that mag as a barney now because my tripp mags have been 100% reliable since I got them.

I bought 3 Tripp mags yesterday for it. Hopefully they'll work reliably. If not, I may send it to a gunsmith.

I bought 3 Tripp mags yesterday for it. Hopefully they'll work reliably. If not, I may send it to a gunsmith.

Or call DW.. you have a good warranty for a reason. :)

The trojan is a very nice running, reliable, no fuss gun. there is a reason they are very popular in IPSC/USPSA single stack... you would not be dissapointed with one.

my other fav 9mm 1911 (unless we are talking really big $$ wilson etc) is the smith and wesson 1911 9mm pro series. cost should be around $1300 in the US, maybe a bit less even. the word I have (don't know how true this is) is that many of the parts in it are wilson combat. it's one step between a factory stock gun and a custom shop gun.

the advantage over the trojan is that it's stainless (very nice looking gun) and has checkered front strap and mainspring housing. I have held and shot one and when I buy a new gun for single stack (or classic we call it in IPSC) it will be either a hard chrome trojan or a smith pro series.

Or call DW.. you have a good warranty for a reason. :)

Quick update, for some reason I hadn't considered sending to DW. I contacted them and they discussed briefly and decided to have me send it in. Got a pre-paid Fedex shipping label and I sent it yesterday. They said turnaround is about 10 days. Pretty impressed with their customer service so far.

Thanks for the advice DWFAN.

i bought my wife a spartan and up graded it as time and money allowed. It is a great gun for the $$. I had some issues with feeding early on but STI paid for shipping there and back and make the gun right on the first trip back. Accuracy has been great with factory ammo and my reloads. for me, parts drop in but the fit has not been ideal. i have a small gap between the bottom of the frame and the magwell i put on it. other than that, its been great.

no one with any love for the smith pro series 9mm 1911? I thought it might be more popular.

They are hard to find at times. I couldn't get one when I bought my DW PM-9. I paid a little bit more for the DW, but it's a better value IMO, when compared to my other S&W 1911.

no one with any love for the smith pro series 9mm 1911? I thought it might be more popular.

They are hard to find at times. I couldn't get one when I bought my DW PM-9. I paid a little bit more for the DW, but it's a better value IMO, when compared to my other S&W 1911.

hmm, I can relate to that. they are bit hard to get here too. my LGS was supposed to have some some time late 2013 but that batch still hasn't arrived. trojan's on the other hand are everywhere. I guess that makes the decision for a lot of folks.