Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me about 9mm 1911s

rhgunguy

I've been working a lot and can afford some retail therapy. I think I want a 9mm 1911, but I've never shot one. I have a shadow custom, how would they compare? I'd use it for ESP or occasional single stack duty.

My budget is Spartan up to DW Pointman 9, the only variable is how many guns I don't use that I'd have to sell. I would stretch it for a Baer if he still did 9s.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trojan is definitely on the list. The only reason that the Spartan is on the list is that I won't feel bad having it carved up with a tri top job and front strap checkering.

If I get one, the choice is going to be which one I can get my hands on first. I really just want to know how they shoot compared to my cz.

Love my PM-9's. Runs great with Tripps or Metalform Elite mags.

The lack of checkering kills the Trojan for me. I might consider a STI Sentry for the checkering, but I'm not sure the value is there compared to the Dan Wesson.

Another vote for the STI Trojan with the Dawson CRP package and VZ Grips. I am using a Dawson magwell and Dawson mags. It runs perfect.

Sounds like my gun, its a real tack driver. Only problem I have had is with my Wilson Combat mags with the ETM base - not sure if the mag or just stupid me but in every stage of a USPSA match this weekend on reload I went bang then click as the mag popped down - sucked big time. Just ordered some extended base pads for them this morning. Live and learn :(

Have both a Trojan and the Spartan 5. While I am pleased with the Spartan and it's a lot for the price I would suggest the STI Trojan.

I run Wilson magazines with two coils removed from the magazine springs. To much tension slowed the slide. But as long as you pick quality magazines should be fine. Metal form and Dawson seem to be the same except for the base pads. Just like the feel of Wilson magazines. Any magazine, remove the slide and push the base of an inserted magazine up, check to see if it's hitting the ejector. If it is you'll end up breaking the ejector.

Any pistol you pick will need a little tuning to get it to the speck's you want. I like an Ed Brown extended magazine release and mag well, I like that it's open in the front so I can easily check that the magazine is seated on the Load and Makeready command by pulling down on the front of the magazine with my weak side finger. Yep it's old school but so am I.

Dawson front sight clear and easy to pick up. By a set of springs, a lot of tuning can be done with springs. Trigger job with a 15 or 17 pound main spring, mine has a 15 with the stock hammer, the hammer is a little heavy so this has worked out fine in my pistol which has a little over 30,000 rounds through it, most with the same recoil spring. No problems using Winchester primers. Buy recoil springs in 9,10,and 12 pound weight's. The 1911 store gives you a little break if you buy three. Springs may change with the load you have worked up. Heavier bullets at the same power factor lighter recoil as of late I've gone back to 115's using VV powder.

I like the grip on STI's single stack pistols it's under cut where the trigger guard meets the frame allowing for a higher grip. The front back strap has chain link and it's easy on the hands and provides a good grip. Trigger job, Trojan comes with good fire control parts and I used all of them only doing a slight stoning on the sear. Some other brands the fire control parts get chunked.

Sorry I got a little long winded.

Edited by Bob DuBois

You are correct Ross, Springfield has brought out the RM in 9mm. Rock Islands are tough to beat for the money, since some of the top name companies parts are made in the Phillipines (frames and slides)

Don't go Rock Island for 9mm . I did that and regretted it . Also don't go Rock island if you ever plan on upgrading the parts. The frames are not made to mil spec and i had a smith do a whole bunch of measurements for me when i wanted him to work on it. Every single part has to be hand fit , no drop in anything because of the variances in their tolerances .

They're fun for a little beater 45 but i wouldn't trust them further then that

Another vote for the STI Trojan with the Dawson CRP package and VZ Grips. I am using a Dawson magwell and Dawson mags. It runs perfect.

Sounds like my gun, its a real tack driver. Only problem I have had is with my Wilson Combat mags with the ETM base - not sure if the mag or just stupid me but in every stage of a USPSA match this weekend on reload I went bang then click as the mag popped down - sucked big time. Just ordered some extended base pads for them this morning. Live and learn :(

In 9mm mags, it was recommended to me to run the Dawson mags because they seat easier with 10 rounds with the slide closed. I haven't tried the ETM's, but the Dawsons do seat well!

Guess who make STI Spartan frames and slides !

Don't go Rock Island for 9mm . I did that and regretted it . Also don't go Rock island if you ever plan on upgrading the parts. The frames are not made to mil spec and i had a smith do a whole bunch of measurements for me when i wanted him to work on it. Every single part has to be hand fit , no drop in anything because of the variances in their tolerances .

They're fun for a little beater 45 but i wouldn't trust them further then that

Same experience for me with the Spartan: extended mag release, STI msh and Aftec extractor: none dropped right in. Since I don't know how to fit, this means a trip to the gunsmith everytime :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Spartan 9mm and it has been a great gun. Runs slicker than snot with a 9 lb. recoil spring and 17 lb. mainspring. I bought it from Dawson and had them add their FO front sight before shipping. Add a magwell (I like S&A) and some VZ grips and you are good to go. I have used Wilson ETM and Tripp Cobra mags, but recently I switched to Metalform Elite 10 rounders, as they have a longer body - easier to seat 10 rounds in the mag and easier to seat a loaded mag in the gun with the slide closed. They work 100% in the Spartan and a Rock Island Tactical 9mm which I recently picked up (couldn't resist a bargain, $375 brand new). Some (but not all) of my ETM mags yielded nose-dives in the RIA unless one or two rounds were off-loaded.

9mm 1911 is a fun soft shooting gun, get one. if you have a good local gunsmith ask his advice and follow it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above choices. Personally I like the Trojan and that is what I have; I dropped it off at the local 'smith for a trigger job and I am very happy with it.

I owned a Springfield 9mm Target loaded and was very disappointed with it's accuracy. After two trips to the factory it would not do any better than 4 to 6 inch "shotgun patterns" at50 ft. I sold it and purchased a Dan Wesson PM-9 which provided nice tight ca. 1 inch ten shot groups at that same distance. Spare yourself the grief and get the Dan Wesson PM-9.