Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tula primers?

currahee1911

Yes. I loaded up a few hundred with high primers (they actually wobbled slightly on the table) and my pistol with a 17 mainspring lit all of them except 1 (and it had to happen in the classifier stage, of course).

I've shot about 5-6K without issue besides that.

I tried some Tula primers back when nothing else was available and found them to work good. I get the occasional failure with my XDM 5.25 that has a reduced striker spring but that's only maybe 1 in 2 or 3 hundred, I haven't really tracked it. I still prefer CCI or Winchester and don't mind paying a slight premium for them but for practice ammo they are fine.

I have some i've been trying at the range before any comp. use...So far they have fired every time out of my CZ SP 01..i have winchester and federal SPP as back-up but for the money i really wanted to try them..

I wouldnt not buy them again, they are a bit Harder than others but??? you should not avoid these for use JMO

Edited by usmc90

KVB-556 are much nicer than KVB-223 if anyone is wondering. Not sure why, military contract specs maybe?

I saw nearly the same comment posted somewhere and have looked everywhere to find it again, I can't recall who said it but it gave me the impression they had used 10s of thousands of the KVB-556M successfully and I wondered what the difference was.

KVB-556 are much nicer than KVB-223 if anyone is wondering. Not sure why, military contract specs maybe?

I saw nearly the same comment posted somewhere and have looked everywhere to find it again, I can't recall who said it but it gave me the impression they had used 10s of thousands of the KVB-556M successfully and I wondered what the difference was.

AFAICT,

KVB223 - normal small rifle primer, non magnum

KVB223M - same charge as above, thicker cup (e.g. for autoloader/AR use)

KVB556M - magnum charge and thicker cup, more like CCI #41

AFAICT,

not sure this is correct i asked powder valley about this before i bought mine and this is there response

KVB223 are not suitable in an AR. An AR firing pin could puncture the primer cup. If you like and use Federal Small Rifle primers in any application you will love the KVB223 Both of the M primers are suitable in the AR. Opinions are endless regarding which one is preferred. It really comes down to personal preference. The 556M and 223M are hotter than the 223. The 223M is reported to be the hottest.

AFAICT,

not sure this is correct i asked powder valley about this before i bought mine and this is there response

KVB223 are not suitable in an AR. An AR firing pin could puncture the primer cup. If you like and use Federal Small Rifle primers in any application you will love the KVB223 Both of the M primers are suitable in the AR. Opinions are endless regarding which one is preferred. It really comes down to personal preference. The 556M and 223M are hotter than the 223. The 223M is reported to be the hottest.

Interesting. I think I have some of each on hand, will have to do some testing or look to get confirmation.

Either way, not too far off - the 'M's are both suitable for AR use, and they're claiming as I noted, the 'regular' KVB223s aren't recommended for AR/autoloaders with floating firing pins..

Anyone use these in glock with the lightend wolf spring kit?

You may have difficulty with ignition using a lightened spring. Maybe even probably...

With factory spring (OEM) I would have 1-2 per 100 that would not ignite on 1st strike...but would on a second strike. This was with my Glock 17 and 19.

I put an extra power striker spring on my Glocks (adds maybe an extra pound to the trigger pull) and I'm quite satisfied with the results.

I still much prefer Federal SPP for match use, but I'm pleased with both Wolf and Tula primers for practice.

YMMV

No problems out of my G34 with wolff 14lb kit. No fail to fire in several hundred rounds. YMMV

I am still reluctant to use them in a match, but if practice rounds keep going bang, my confidence level will go up enough to shoot them in a local match.

i bought a couple of hundred SP off of a freind and tried them out of my 2011. they ran 100%, which is surprising as i have had problems in the past with them out of my Glocks and MP's.

i have a theory on why some of them are duds. I think the initial hit breaks the primer compound and then they no longer fire.

i would really like to try 1k for a better test though.

Edited by Sandbagger123

So what's the consensus (or is there one on these primers? I don't shoot competition, just regular range plinking with a Gen4 Glock 19 all stock. For $22-24 per 1000 they are not that less than the CCI, but like the OP stated they are in stock. I wouldn't mind picking up about 5k of them if they will be reliable. I get it that there is always a .5% failure on many products out there, so of the 5k that I want to buy I don't see an issue with a few of them being bad, I just don't want 100 of them wasting my time.

Just got my Midway order today. Price was 108.99/5000 last week but it looks like it's gone back to 116.99 which is a dime cheaper per 1000 than PV. Plus it now says PV is out of stock on these (KVB223)