Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA vs IDPA question

neckbone

I just started shooting IDPA at the end of last season.

The hardest part (besides hitting the targets) is remembering the correct course of fire after the buzzer sounds. Things seem to get confused easily for me.

There is a chance for me to shoot in a USPSA match.

My question is, if I have my hands full trying to sort out the course of fire in IDPA, would it be foolish to step up to a USPSA match?

We all struggled with that at our first few matches. It will get better with time. By all means, come out and shoot USPSA. I've never been to a match where the shooters weren't helpful and encouraging to new competitors.

Just different. USPSA is less prescriptive, or more freestyle. There is no cover or tactical reloads to worry about so for some it is easier to keep track of. Your overall placement may be worse, but I would not forgo the chance to give it s try.

Just like learning to drive a stick shift, the only way to get better is to just get out there and drive. Go to as many local matches as you can. At first just go slow and concentrate on safety and having fun. Once you feel comfortable speed and accuracy will follow.

If remembering the designated order to engage targets is a problem for you, then USPSA will be much easier for you on that point. In USPSA, you can usually engage targets in any order you'd like with as many round as you'd like. You can also change mags and drop them on the ground instead of retaining them whenever you like.

Edited by mpolans

Learn to visualize the course in your head and both become a lot simpler. It takes some practice but it is worth the time.

Much simpler to do in USPSA as you can walk the course before the match, and multiple times when your squad get there.

I figure out a plan, walk it a couple of times, get out of the way and try and run through it in my head. If there are targets I can't remember I go take another look and try and visualize it again. The more visual detail you can get in your head the better.

As my time to shoot gets closer I start running the course over and over in my head. Time to shoot = time to quit thinking about it and just go shoot.

We all struggled with that at our first few matches. It will get better with time. By all means, come out and shoot USPSA. I've never been to a match where the shooters weren't helpful and encouraging to new competitors.

i still struggle with it and that's why I shoot USPSA to help me with stage break downs.

I love them both.

A good IDPA match is really fun. A good IPSC match is more fun.

But a good IDPA match trumps a mediocre IPSC match.

I love them both too, and like you have found that the quality of the match trumps the orginization.

My order of favorites is different, but you don't go to a USPSA forum and look for the majority to prefer IDPA :)

Any day shooting is a good thing - some gooder than others but its all good.

I remember the first time as an RO with for an USPSA match with an "event challenged" IDPA shooter - vest, and the 1 - 1 - 2 back to one more on the first two and I'm thinking "I have ADD" this would really be a challenge - so as many have said and one more to put it - USPSA - what to shoot if you have ADD....anyway have fun.

IDPA plans it out for you and USPSA make you think what would be the best way to shoot this course.

You can start out shooting either sport it all depends on you. Each sport have divisions for beginners. And both will help your speed and accuracy.

I shoot both....

I think of it this way
1) It gives me another excuse to get to the range and shoot
and
2) You learn things from one sport that can be applied to the other so... why not give yourself another chance to learn and practice your skills? ;-)

Past that they are both "games"... so go have fun!

...Shooting either is the easiest way to learn imo.

Amen.

As an MD for USPSA, it sure gets tedious answering emails from folks who seem to stay in the "contemplating trying competition" stage. They ask endless gear questions, are always on the verge of "getting ready to try it" after they "practice up some more."