Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trubor in Sc stovepipe ing

Noah my boy

Anyone have any problems with a lot of stovepipes? It seems that my brass is ejecting to high and bouncing off my cmore back in to my chamber causing a stovepipe or close to that effect. My guess would be too long of an ejector or maybe too much tension on the extractor. Any advise on the matter would be appreciated thanks?

I had the problem for a year:((

Tried Everything - because anything can cause the problem:

extractor, ejector, sights (people told me to mount the C-More sideways

and the problem would go away - tried a good gunsmith and a bad local

gunsmith.

The problem was that ONE of my three mags needed a new spring.

Finally noticed that I always started with one mag (numbered) and never

had a problem, but as soon as I reloaded, I'd usually have a stovepipe.

Finally narrowed it down to the one mag - totally solved MY problem.

Yours could be anything, including the ammo - loading long enough,

enough powder, using a spacer in your mag?

Good luck - hope it doesn't take you a year to figure it out. :cheers:

Had the same problem with a Steelmaster but it was only with 1 bigstick. 5 other mags worked perfectly. Check to see if it happens with all your mags, if so, a 90 degree C-more mount is the easiest fix.

Anyone have any problems with a lot of stovepipes? It seems that my brass is ejecting to high and bouncing off my cmore back in to my chamber causing a stovepipe or close to that effect. My guess would be too long of an ejector or maybe too much tension on the extractor. Any advise on the matter would be appreciated thanks

If it ran before and just started, extractor is your problem.

Went to range today and two of the six mags were still creating stove pipes or just a empty piece of brass back In the chamber. I do believe it is something to do with the followers and or slide stop. Anyone else experience any issues with there slide stop on a trubro? If that is not the issue I will be getting a new ejector and believe that could be the issue as well.

On my older gun it started to have the same problem and found the empty brass was bouncing off the bottom of the scope mount. After messing around with the extractor I finally switched to a abrazos tuned ejector and it fixed it fo me.

All my new guns now have sideways scope mounts, easiest fix and I like that it brings the scope closer to the bore.

It's the ejector take 200 rounds to the range, some files and tune the ejector nose I've had to do it on two guns, with some practice/ trial and error you can get the brass to go exactly where you want it. And as stated above remove your mount and make sure it's not deflecting up off the ejection port, also had that happen. Some black sharpie inside the ejection port will indicate brass contact, gl!!

Edited by Blujay291

You can send it back to STI International. I have found that some mags which will always jam . NO matter how much they are tuned.

Some of my friends have actually thrown out mags that dont work. I have HS Smiths mags which are worth gold . I also have Superior Tuned mags from Shooters Connection which are wonderful without jams.

I sent my SteelMaster back to STI and they kept it for a month and didn't fix it. I don't think they can. Save yourself some frustration and get the Aftec extractor, Brazos tuned ejector and offset mount. The offset is still a vertical mount. You will never have another malfunction due to the brass hitting the scope.

I totally agree. But when you can't get any results from the factory what do you do ? Turn it into a $3,500 paper weight or put in a couple hundred more dollars so at least you can use it. I call it the STI tax. It's like the Harley tax you pay over $20,000 for the bike then you spend another $2,500 on Pipes, Air cleaner, EFI tuner and Dyno tuning to make it rideable.

I totally agree. But when you can't get any results from the factory what do you do ? Turn it into a $3,500 paper weight or put in a couple hundred more dollars so at least you can use it. I call it the STI tax. It's like the Harley tax you pay over $20,000 for the bike then you spend another $2,500 on Pipes, Air cleaner, EFI tuner and Dyno tuning to make it rideable.

I have a STI Matchmaster 9mm that was doing the same thing. I smoothed the scars on the mount then put some dykem on it, next I shaped the ejector. After about 500 rds not one jam or one mark on scope mount. 90 degree mounts are great, but not necessary.