Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams/Voodoo barrels

mwf008

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting ……..i'm going to do a bunch of testing today . I just might depending on what time sign up is. I'm not the best morning person and somehow all events start at like 7:30 or something god awful like that . I'll actually be up in del rey tomorrow putting some things in storage for my parents . Good ole kings point

Unfortunately no Malabar for me saturday. Don't have the ammo to run my AR. It's weird. I got the gun to run, and well. Funny thing is , it would only lock back on my hand loads , not on the PMC bronze i had with me . Gun shoots great . Light and very quick. I like the taccom comp , but i'm going to experiment with a couple others as no gun runs the same with each comp.

Once i get my low mass bcg this gun is going to be even better !

Yeah that's what i was thinking , going to throw some of my rounds together and keep testing. Looks like it's going to be rained out this saturday. But I would def be amenable to frost proof next saturday for sure . Schweet!!

I'll leave everyone with this picture . That's a shot from the rifle with the voodoo barrel and a taccom brake.

post-40886-0-98804100-1397906247_thumb.j

Edited by thegunnerd

Oh wow , how was that ? figured it would have been rained out . Not sure if i'm sold on the comp yet . It's good , but the whole gun is new , so i need to settle into it and swap a few out and see what works better for me .

I'm really thinking about shooting up in frost proof next weekend though. you ?

Getting the gun dialed in. So far the barrel is doing very very well. The ULR recoil system from Taccom is fantastic. The brake is doing its job very well. I replaced the hiperfire with my CMC straight tactical trigger. I prefer the feel of it. So far after getting the gas dialed in, it's been totally reliable.

I'm hoping to take it out this weekend

Ran my COR ultralight yesterday, great on 62 gr lake city, would not cycle on nasty steel case tula 55 grain, it would go bang then get hung in the chamber, checked all the usual stuff, was good, just wouldnt run on tula......i was a little disappointed as the other piston guns,sig516 /rec7 have no issue w tula 223. gas ports etc were clean, just a fluke, ill see how it does after a couple hundred of 62 through it unless Im just missing something on this...awesome rifle though

Mine passed the function test 100% with 55gr handloads. This was with a full weight BCG and buffer. Now just waiting for decent weather to tune the gas and zero. Its like a monsoon here in MN with nonstop rain and wind.

Ran my COR ultralight yesterday, great on 62 gr lake city, would not cycle on nasty steel case tula 55 grain, it would go bang then get hung in the chamber, checked all the usual stuff, was good, just wouldnt run on tula......i was a little disappointed as the other piston guns,sig516 /rec7 have no issue w tula 223. gas ports etc were clean, just a fluke, ill see how it does after a couple hundred of 62 through it unless Im just missing something on this...awesome rifle though

I can't really speak to their whole rifle. But the barrel has been ok so far. I'll be doing accuracy testing this week so more info to come. Right now , after adjusting my gas, my gun is reliably running everything . The adjustable gas block for this setup is key.

I'm running the 16.5" rifle length gas EVO Ultra Lite, JP LMOS BCG and Taccom3G ULW Buffer with the SLR Rifleworks Sentry-7 ... I was only shooting Tula (from the freezer) and I need 10 clicks from full close to get it to lock and cycle properly.

From the looks of things ... 12 clicks is full open on that block.

I'm a new shooter, but I got some decent groups (for me) on a 50 yard zero using a Bushnell TRS-25 (3 moa dot).

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 5 shot group #1 (sorry for all the stickers, I was zero'ing in the red dot)
8p0c.jpg

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 5 shot group #2 (sorry for the two stickers, the new guy next to me shot my targets - argh! That was my tightest group ever!):
uwcy.jpg

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 10 shot group #3
l79l.jpg

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 10 shot group #4
znif.jpg

Edited by frsteve

Good review. I am about to test a similar setup to yours, but with a JP GS5 gas block. I may switch out the JP for the SLR Sentry 7, as the SLR block is at least an ounce lighter than the JP.

The SLR gas block has 15 settings, BTW.

Mick

I'm getting similar results from my barrel. Seems like it can hold just about .75 moa with hand loads. More then good enough. Probably closer to 1 moa , but i'm not loading precision ammo for it . Just plain ole 650 for 223

• 2 weeks later...

I really like mine so far. I'm doing a full write up on the build that I hope to get out in the few days. I haven't got to do much bench testing to see how it groups. I basically got it together, tuned the gas, zero'd it at 100 yards and went straight to a match with it. Seemed to group just a tick over MOA with 55gr FMJ handloads, but this was with a fidgety 2 year old sitting on the bench with me trying to "help", so I think it will do better than that one I get it out for some legitimate testing. It ran like a Swiss watch at the match though.

It's light for sure. With a 15" Nordic HG and a Burris MTAC in an Aero mount the complete rifle came out at 6.96 lbs

post-35158-0-65084300-1400078888_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a chance to shoot these barrels out at a distance. 300-500 yards? Also, has anyone shoot a hosing portion of a stage and then engaged targets at a distance?

Thank you for the responses.

Adam

I have 400 yards on my practice range with a rooftop prop at the furthest distance. I've hosed paper in close, run up the prop, and proceeded to knock down two MGM 42" poppers at 300, two MGM mini-autopoppers at 200-250, an 8" round gong at 350, and various sized steel at 400 (two IPSC sized steel and "drop" plates that are 8"x20", 12"x18", and 14"x14"). I noticed no stringing issues, but was only running around 10-12rds in close (FAST), then another 10-15rds at distance with a cadence that was meant to be as quick as I would hope to shoot in a match. For 3-gun, I don't see it being an issue with this barrel.

The recoil with the 16.5" rifle gas barrel on my Tacops upper is SOFT, even compared to my 16" mid gas voodoo barrel on my Tacirons upper.

I shot like a 5 inch group at 400 yards with 55 grain Freedom Munitions reman ammo on my first try with a wild guess for hold over. I'd say that's good enough for what we do, and I'm not even a good rifleman.

Hunter660, the barrel is not dimpled, I couldn't find a shop to pin the sight block on the barrel due to it being melonited, so I had to use a clamp on fsb. It is .750"

Thanks As soon as I get a shipping confirmation on my barrel I'll order a gas block.