Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams/Voodoo barrels

mwf008

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting to the point where I'm thinking of getting another barrel. I'm not convinced this 16.5" barrel can work.

Shot mine at the 3GN Regional last weekend and it worked great. I only shot 69gr SMK handloads tho. It doesnt do as well with 55gr after playing with it before leaving for the match tho.

I am getting to the point where I'm thinking of getting another barrel. I'm not convinced this 16.5" barrel can work.

Shot mine at the 3GN Regional last weekend and it worked great. I only shot 69gr SMK handloads tho. It doesnt do as well with 55gr after playing with it before leaving for the match tho.

55 gr is all I have tried so far.

55's wouldn't lock back for me and i would have had to open the gas setting further to make it work. I'm also running an RCA LW BCG and Taccom ULW buffer system too. 69gr ammo going 2666fps makes the gun run like a top and recoil is soft.

55's wouldn't lock back for me and i would have had to open the gas setting further to make it work. I'm also running an RCA LW BCG and Taccom ULW buffer system too. 69gr ammo going 2666fps makes the gun run like a top and recoil is soft.

Will you be at Rockcastle?

Will you be at Rockcastle?

Leaving around 4am Thursday morning to head back there after last weekend's match.

• 3 weeks later...

I took this rifle completely apart to address a few issues. First, i added a .001 shim around the barrel extension to make it fit tighter in the receiver. I also procured the proper wolff reduced power carbine spring. Lastly, i picked up some different 55gr ammo to try out since my main source (PMC) was having issues in this gun.

First, going over the function testing, with the new spring and Wolf gold ammo, i was able to get the gun to cycle effortlessly and reliably on setting 8 from closed. Same went for other M193 i had on hand and my Varget/SMK handloads. Seems the Wolf gold is really nice shooting ammo; very consistent and puts up M193 velocities. Wolf Gold and M193 both put up 3000fps velocity numbers through the chrono, whereas the wimpy PMC Bronze 223 barely but up 2550 fps. no wonder it barely cycles in this rifle. the short dwell time is rather sensitive it seems. Lock back isn't consistent with Wolf gold, but it does happen on occasion. Not even over-gassing it by turning up the gas block seems to help there. Physically it locks back easily, but not always in live fire.

Next, during group shooting and accuracy testing, i noticed the reticle was starting to cant on my vortex 1-4. This may have been affecting my groups and general accuracy all along. Shimming the barrel may have helped, but if the reticle is canted a few degrees, i wonder if it is moving around in other ways internally thus making it impossible to get any consistency. I managed to shoot some decent groups, but consistency was terrible likely due to the scope. It would shoot a nice 3-5 rd group of some ammo, then proceed to print in a different spot on the same target with the same ammo. Frustrating. Wolf gold 55gr 223 seemed to run pretty good. My old PMC load shot like shit and didn't operate the gun very well either. This gun is light... like right at 6lb with the optic and it does waver rather easily, even on teh bipod and rear bag if you arent totally still. But But even when pulling off still, well timed shots, the consistency was awful.

I sent this scope back to vortex for repair. Lets hope they replace it with one that isn't busted. A quick cursory web search shows other folks with the same issue, i hope it isn't chronic.

shimming the barrel extension is a means of accurizing and removing slop from the extension to receiver interface in the same vein as bedding. Precision action. Take the slop out of parts that should not have such tolerance and the whole thing will be more integrally solid and secure and hopefully better in its function. In this case it involves a metal shim the length of the circumference of the barrel extension that is wrapped around it prior to inserting into the receiver. The shim should be sized to take up any dimensional difference between the ID of the receiver and OD of the barrel extension. In my case, there was about .0015" between the two so I picked up the same sized shim stock and used it to bed the action there. Its an old trick and you can see more examples if you google it.

I finished my lightweight build with this barrel. I used an Anderson Manufacturing lightweight upper without forward assist or port door, a Voodoo lightweight bolt carrier and a rifle buffer with 4 weights removed & replaced with an empty 308 case as a spacer. It weights 3oz. now. I had to torque/retorque the barrel nut 3 times to get the the teeth to line up. I also used the SLR clamp on gas block and Voodoo comp. The handguard is the AP Custom carbon fiber 12.3". The stock is the ACE ARUL. I have an Aero SPR ultra lite scope mount ordered so the scope is not on it yet. I got the gas block tuned yesterday. I had to shoot it wide open about a dozen rounds before it would lock back on an empty mag, then I closed it down to 6 clicks from closed. It was locking back consistently with my 55gr. reloads that were 3000fps. from my 18" rifle. I may try a Wolff lightweight buffer spring. Empty with no sights, it weighs 5.1lbs.

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by OPENB

I just installed a 16.5 rifle lenght LW and am pretty pleased with the overall package. I shot a match with it the other day with no difficulty. I am still waiting on my backorder for a low mass bcg, but the standard one worked great. Brass ejects 8 foot right and at 4 oclock in a nice pile. Accuracy is not what my RRA 3 gun barrel would do but pretty good. 100 yards leaned over the range bag.

BA685C3C-6C46-49F1-B818-3E7024F0FFB2_zps

• 2 months later...

Any of the OP's have updates after running these barrels most of the year?

I can get you an accurate count on the number of matches shot this year and in what divisions (I have two of these barrels in different uppers for different divisions), but can tell you that I shot lots of local matches and several major matches, finishing with some solid placements at the end of the year.

In TacIrons, I shot a couple club matches and Generation III Gun with the 16" mid gas Evo UltraLite barrel. The round count is a LOT lower than my other barrel, but no issues have been seen. With my 16.25" Lancer octagon carbon fiber handguard, the extra 1/2" of the other barrel is nice to have, but it JUST barely clears and work with the Taccom ultra lightweight comp on there.

In TacOps, I shot LOTS of local matches, LOTS of range practice on my private range, and a decent number (7) of major matches with this rifle in TacOps (6) or Open (1). Round count is in the 6-7000rd range with about 65-75% 69gr SMK handloads and 25-35% factory 55gr.

I shot the 3GunNation Midwest Regional, Rockcastle ProAm, Fallen Brethren (540yds), 3GunNation Southwest Regional, Arkansas Section Multigun, Missouri Area 3 USPSA Multigun, and Surefire World Multigun Championships (485yards on biggest "ironman" stage, went with only a couple dropped shots on the long range when shooting them AFTER paper and rifle spinner). I never once thought my barrel gave up anything at a match.

I know this is probably stupid for all you guys that like to tinker, I did not have the time so I just put together a JP parts 16 upper. Probably significantly more expensive but it works for me.

I don't have it really scoped to go past 100 yards, but it is gnats ass accurate <125 yards. I have run almost all types of ammo through except Russian steel with no issues.

I just got a JP silent recoil from a friend of mine, I have yet to shoot it with the new recoil system.