Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams/Voodoo barrels

mwf008

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the chamber melonite/QPQ treated? If you polish enough to remove tooling, you'll probably remove the hard coating too. I don't think it matters too much before the throat in terms of longevity, but you might lose the lubricity/hardness in the chamber.

Did they give you the option to swap barrels?

Hello all,

I just wanted to offer clarification on a few things from previous post's

1.)

Polishing the chamber in VDI barrels will not get any where close to removing the nitrocarburizing in the chamber.

The Hardness of the coating is greater than twice the depth of the pigmented material is.

Meaning that you could get in there and polish the chamber to the point that there is no pigment showing just shiny bare in appearance metal, and you still wouldn't have removed the coating.

2.)

All our VDI barrels do have a lifetime warranty and we will replace any faulty barrel immediately,

has anyone identified any faulty barrels or any failures to function on this thread?

"My concern is if there is any POI shift after the skinny barrel heats up.

Generally, the long range stuff at the local matches here is engaged after 5-12 closer paper targets. I'm interested to see if you guys notice a POI shift after about 20 or so hoser shots"

3.)

Light profile barrels do heat up with less rounds than their heavy profile brothers, the upside is that they also cool quicker ( a advantage in 3gun while your rifle is on the rack and your pasting your hot barrel will most likely be back to ambient temp before your on deck at the next stage.)

I'm a pretty avid 3 gunner. I also shared the skinny barrel concern when i went to do my first light fast gun build out.

So i conducted this test on my personal 16.5" to see at what point heat began to affect grouping

tested as follows.

conduct initial group and zero. return to ambient temperature ( tested with a laser thermometer)

fire one magazine cyclic drop to sandbag and group record any change. return to temp and re group record changes.

at 90rnds cyclic (3mags) on the immediate group i had a 1.25" group relocation to the 7 o'clock at 200m the grouping stayed within the average of diameter but was off zero by 1.25"

after cool down to ambient temp the group returned to zero.

in my opinion unless your firing greater than 90rnds as fast as you can and then shooting sub .75 moa targetry i wouldn't be concerned with the lighter profile barrels for 3gun competition rifles.

Thanks for all the great feedback on the barrels guys.

all the builds on the thread look awesome!

Thank you all,

TK Martindill

Product Development Mgr

Adams Arms

Voodoo Innovations

So i conducted this test on my personal 16.5" to see at what point heat began to affect grouping

I did a similar cyclic test on an 18" lightweight barrel by another manufacturer a couple years ago and had very similar learnings, although I only shot 100y groups. The change in POI was not significant enough to worry about in 3gun, and I've never encountered a stage that required that many rounds that quickly and then had to engage long range/fine accuracy targets.

Glad to see someone else post about it and experience the same basic conclusion.

My concern is if there is any POI shift after the skinny barrel heats up.

Generally, the long range stuff at the local matches here is engaged after 5-12 closer paper targets. I'm interested to see if you guys notice a POI shift after about 20 or so hoser shots

I'm not using an AA/Voodoo barrel or tested one, but my 18" 3gun rifle is lightweight barrel, and I have not encountered a problem with hosing and then hitting targets at distance.

Example video of shooting ~40 rounds and then hitting 300y Larues.

Edited by AustinWolv

Is the chamber melonite/QPQ treated? If you polish enough to remove tooling, you'll probably remove the hard coating too. I don't think it matters too much before the throat in terms of longevity, but you might lose the lubricity/hardness in the chamber.

Did they give you the option to swap barrels?

Hello all,

I just wanted to offer clarification on a few things from previous post's

1.)

Polishing the chamber in VDI barrels will not get any where close to removing the nitrocarburizing in the chamber.

The Hardness of the coating is greater than twice the depth of the pigmented material is.

Meaning that you could get in there and polish the chamber to the point that there is no pigment showing just shiny bare in appearance metal, and you still wouldn't have removed the coating.

2.)

All our VDI barrels do have a lifetime warranty and we will replace any faulty barrel immediately,

has anyone identified any faulty barrels or any failures to function on this thread?

"My concern is if there is any POI shift after the skinny barrel heats up.

Generally, the long range stuff at the local matches here is engaged after 5-12 closer paper targets. I'm interested to see if you guys notice a POI shift after about 20 or so hoser shots"

3.)

Light profile barrels do heat up with less rounds than their heavy profile brothers, the upside is that they also cool quicker ( a advantage in 3gun while your rifle is on the rack and your pasting your hot barrel will most likely be back to ambient temp before your on deck at the next stage.)

I'm a pretty avid 3 gunner. I also shared the skinny barrel concern when i went to do my first light fast gun build out.

tested as follows.

conduct initial group and zero. return to ambient temperature ( tested with a laser thermometer)

fire one magazine cyclic drop to sandbag and group record any change. return to temp and re group record changes.

at 90rnds cyclic (3mags) on the immediate group i had a 1.25" group relocation to the 7 o'clock at 200m the grouping stayed within the average of diameter but was off zero by 1.25"

after cool down to ambient temp the group returned to zero.

in my opinion unless your firing greater than 90rnds as fast as you can and then shooting sub .75 moa targetry i wouldn't be concerned with the lighter profile barrels for 3gun competition rifles.

Thanks for all the great feedback on the barrels guys.

all the builds on the thread look awesome!

Thank you all,

TK Martindill

Product Development Mgr

Adams Arms

Voodoo Innovations

Wow thanks so much for weighing in TK …..i'm loving this barrel, but i haven't been able to start shooting it yet because i'm waiting on a hand guard . DOn't want my barrel flying out and all. The coating is top notch btw . Great fit and finish.

I really like how tight the barrel fit into my BCM upper, used a deadblow and a couple of taps. The coating hasn't shown any more than a few shiny contact spots that have since been removed with a thumb rub.

TK, I'm very well pleased with the product. I am amazed that a 16.5" barrel with rifle length gas hasn't given me any cycling issues with my light handloads using standard carbine buffer components.

Thanks for responding here , TK.

Is there any chance of chambering an evo Ultralite in .223 Wylde?

It was my understanding that the compound layer (according to H&M metal processing) is .006 to .04" deep, and the pigment layer is only 4 microns (~.000415"). I didn't know how big the artifact was in thegunnerd's barrel, but I assumed it was deeper than the "pigment" layer. Another concern was the hardness itself, as abrasive polishing with a swab could potentially change the overall chamber dimension before the hard artifact was completely buffed out.

These concerns were mostly instilled by a different barrel maker (using H&M QPQ finishing) that insisted on swapping barrels out before trying to polish it out.

It's good to know you'll stand behind the product regardless.

Nice shooting, Austin. I wish our course designers would take some tips from that video. Our standard target at 2-400 yards are MGM flashers with 4" or 6" donglers. Shooting tac irons can be...frustrating.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Nice shooting, Austin. I wish out course designers would take some tips from that video. Out standard target at 2-400 yards are MGM flashers with 4" or 6" donglers. Shooting tac irons can be...frustrating.

Heh, even many Tac Optics guys would struggle with that.

General rule of thumb I've seen for pretty much all matches I've been to has been 4MOA targets used for long range, i.e. 8" targets at 200yd, 20" at 500yd, Larues out to 450yd, full IPSCs out at 400-600yd, that kind of thing.

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know i don't have anything specific going on in my chamber yet , i haven't shot mine. I just inquired on our behalf. I can see some kind of ring in there but can't feel it , so i assume it's just superficial

The chamber in mine looks excellent. I'm guessing the linear scratches in brass mentioned earlier in this thread are from the rounds contacting the feed ramps, not the chamber itself. This is pretty common and in my experience nothing to worry about from hand loaders standpoint.

Thanks for responding here , TK.

Is there any chance of chambering an evo Ultralite in .223 Wylde?

It was my understanding that the compound layer (according to H&M metal processing) is .006 to .04" deep, and the pigment layer is only 4 microns (~.000415"). I didn't know how big the artifact was in thegunnerd's barrel, but I assumed it was deeper than the "pigment" layer. Another concern was the hardness itself, as abrasive polishing with a swab could potentially change the overall chamber dimension before the hard artifact was completely buffed out.

These concerns were mostly instilled by a different barrel maker (using H&M QPQ finishing) that insisted on swapping barrels out before trying to polish it out.

It's good to know you'll stand behind the product regardless.

Nice shooting, Austin. I wish our course designers would take some tips from that video. Our standard target at 2-400 yards are MGM flashers with 4" or 6" donglers. Shooting tac irons can be...frustrating.

Sorry there are no project plans in the works for .223 wylde chambering.

Given the huge amount of surplus nato ball and fluctuation in commercially available ammunition we decided to run all barrels to .556 for reliable chambering of the majority of munitions out there.

Iv personally had my Wylde chambered Barrels cut to .556 after i had to spend a night chamber forming 400rnds in my hotel parking lot the night before 2011 FNH champ.

not saying its not a good mix of the two chambering just saying when i spend about $1000 to go to a major match the last thing i want holding me up is my ammo not going into battery cause its LC brass.

TK

Took the day off on Friday for a practice day before the York Team 3 gun event. The range we are heading to goes out to 600 yards. I'll probably test out to 400 since I only have 55gr ammo. With my 20" barrel I had no problem at 400 so we'll see how this little guy performs.

on page 1 of the thread i saw some questions about utilizing light standard and heavy weight buffers while configuring your 3gun build's

i wanted to pass on a bit of information that may help

Reliable functioning of the AR platform in Direct gas (DI) or Piston configuration is an equation of two factors

Energy (X) required to overcome Resistance amount (Y)

(X)Ek > (Y)Ep = Reliable function

If a rifle is failing to function I.E. (Feed, Fire, and Eject)

The method to correct this is

Add Energy (X) and/or Reduce Resistance (Y)

(X) Ensure Gas Block to Gas port alignment, Inspect Gas System for obstruction or wear Replace if necessary, Increase Gas Pickup

(Y) Use- Reduced Power Buffer Springs, Lightened Carriers, or Lighter Weight Buffers

Thanks,

TK

Thanks for the breakdown TK . I'm doing all my reciprocating mass experiments with this gun. Rifle length gas on a short barrel, ultra light recoil system and ultra light bcg with adjustable gas.

With a new comp that was just released i'm hoping i can tune this guy down so far that shooting it will seem like an unfair advantage =)

Wow, that is one pricey little comp. I'm not sure if the Taccom one is up on his site yet but the idea is as light as possible with a nice large front baffle and tapped tunable upper ports . Kinda like a baby corvette …I suggested he call it the corvair =)

Wow, that is one pricey little comp. I'm not sure if the Taccom one is up on his site yet but the idea is as light as possible with a nice large front baffle and tapped tunable upper ports . Kinda like a baby corvette …I suggested he call it the corvair =)

You mean a chevette? ;)

I'll snap a pic when it arrives. Hopefully friday or saturday. The taccom is going to be the lightest one on the market by far. Tim is going at his AR designs right now the same way all of us are in this thread. LIGHTER IS BETTER . I have the comp and his ultra light recoil system coming in. Eventually i'll throw in a new low mass bcg and that thing will be like angry bunny farts my friend