Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams/Voodoo barrels

mwf008

Thinking of trying their 16.5 rifle length barrel on my next build. This will not be a piston gun. Thoughts? I've read a lot about 16 being too short for RLGS, will the extra half an inch make a difference?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I was just about to post the same question. I'm currently running a 20" heavy barrel in my 3 gun AR and would like something lighter. The 16.5 with rifle gas seems interesting to me, especially considering I live in the north east and don't see many shots past 200 yards except for at Peacemaker once a year.

Def a good bet. I would go mid length gas system though. I"m starting to go to the 16 " barrel camp with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist . That will easily stabilize the heavier bullets an give you enough to get out as far as we need to in 3 gun.

Well from what I've heard a rifle length system in a 16" barrel doesn't leave enough dwell time to properly run the action. But then again I am now running teh Taccom ultra light buffer and a lightened JP carrier so I don't need as much gas as other people might. If they sell the thing it must work, right? If I go midlength I'd need to buy a new gasblock and gas tube as well so that costs me more, trying to be frugal, ha!

That's what i had read as well. The most reliable gas length on a 16 " barrel for what we like to do is a mid length , especially if you're going a2 tube and buffer . If you can talk to Tim from Taccom about it , he's a huge wealth of knowledge about this specific question. I was just asking him about it the other day.

Edited by thegunnerd

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up, finally finished this rifle (16.5 rifle length) and it runs great so far. Zeroed it, chronoed some loads, and shot in one match and has been 100% reliable. It shoots really soft for an 8.5 pound rifle. Running it with a seeking adj. gas block, rifle length tube with standard spring and empty buffer, and JP LMOS BCG. I can't wait to test at 200 yards and beyond.

I run a 16" mid length 1-8 twist with the LMOS carrier and buffer. Thing is a pussycat to shoot, feels as soft as any rifle I have ever shot under 10 lbs. No reliability issues either. It shoots as well as I can with consistent 1 shot hits on the MGM flashers out to 400+. I think your setup will be all you need and more.

I run a 16" mid length 1-8 twist with the LMOS carrier and buffer. Thing is a pussycat to shoot, feels as soft as any rifle I have ever shot under 10 lbs. No reliability issues either. It shoots as well as I can with consistent 1 shot hits on the MGM flashers out to 400+. I think your setup will be all you need and more.

You have an adjustable gas block?

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread, as I am HEAVILY leaning towards using this 16.5" rifle length barrel for my dissipator build. My question: do I need a lightweight buffer and bcg plus an adjustable gas block for this barrel and gas combination to run reliably? Those fancy doodads are a little out of my fiscal reach...

Glad I found this thread, as I am HEAVILY leaning towards using this 16.5" rifle length barrel for my dissipator build. My question: do I need a lightweight buffer and bcg plus an adjustable gas block for this barrel and gas combination to run reliably? Those fancy doodads are a little out of my fiscal reach...

I turned the gas down on mine so I'm pretty sure it would run with a non adjustable gas block.

I think Adams is using this LW barrel on their newest(I think?) piston upper.

Mark Roth(XRAIL) is testing this upper out this year. He has a couple extra barrels that I inspected.

If I were to use one of these barrels, I would recrown it and definitely not use a crush washer.

You don't need lightweight anything(except spring) nor an adjustable gas block with uppers that are on the edge of working.

Nick

Just an FYI.....palmettostatearmory is running a 20% off sale thru the rest of today on these. Went ahead and ordered two of the 16.5" rifle gas LW barrels to play with since they were 20% off. Sale ends tonight I think tho.

Just curious with the people who got em, what is your planned build ?

The idea of mine is going to be ultra light probably ike most of us. Do a nice upper mega, seekins, something well made . AP customs CF hand guard. LMOS , taccom ultra light recoil buffer , carbine length buffer with mission first tactical minimalist stock , a short effective brake, adjustable gas

I'm going mega light weigh with a lot of recoil management