Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It happened,....S&W 929 8 Shot 9mm Revolver

alecmc

I wonder if it'll shoot 9mm major ammo and would USPSA allow Major scoring instead of minor?

No...just no
I could be wrong, but this gun would be allowed for major, but reloaded after 6 right? In single stack and limited minimum caliber for major is .40, in open it is 9mm. Do we know yet what the rule revision will stipulate as minimum for major for revolver?

Lee

Yes, you can shoot major but only 6 rounds. Got the feeling this was a, "Hey, why don't we allow 8 round major in Revolver" type of question. Can't speak for the rest of the BOD, but I'm not planning any more revo rule changes while I'm on the BOD.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't use 8 shot guns in USPSA anyway so this is a ICORE and steel challenge gun. They info on both the 929 and the 986 is up on Smith's website. MSRP is $1089 for the 92 and $1049 for the 986.

You have always been able to use 8 shot guns in USPSA - Revolver (firing 6 shots, of course), Open, Limited, Limited 10 and Production. With the pending rule change to allow 8 shots to be fired in revolver, I see these being wildly popular if they become available with any regularity.

Lee

You can't use 8 shot guns in USPSA anyway so this is a ICORE and steel challenge gun. They info on both the 929 and the 986 is up on Smith's website. MSRP is $1089 for the 92 and $1049 for the 986.

The rules have been changed for revolver division. Feb 1st 2014 8 shot revolvers are scored minor in the division.

Sounds like some folks won't be trying to get these, as they are unhappy with Smith quality or specs before we even know what they are!! That makes it easier for those of us that are dying for the 9, and it appears smith has covered all the issues, to get a couple sooner than later.

Thank your USPSA BOD for the introduction of this gun. The new rule allowing 8 minor, I imagine, is the final step that got this the green light. Thanks Chuck. Well, that and Brad.....

Now be good little consumers and go to your LGS and get these things ordered. I'd bet that Smith has no idea how many to schedule production for, so let's swamp them with orders so this gets a higher priority production time.

I will order at least a couple personally at the Shot Show in 10 days!!

Thank your USPSA BOD for the introduction of this gun.

Must resist bursting in laughter.......

Jerry has been telling us is coming for longer than anyone was discussing 8 minor.

None the less it will be a killer piece of USPSA minor iron and Ill take 3. If it wasn't for Obama and the plastic gun profiteering stockholders we would have had this long ago,

Thanks you Jerry for getting this one done.

Couple things here, Ty:

1. Jerry had asked for an 8-shot 9mm for years, but he was never able to get it done. Jerry is a great shooter, but not much of a salesman.

2. 8-shot minor is not a new concept. Some of us have been discussing it around here for quite a long time.

Nothing against Jerry, but he deserves neither credit nor blame (depending on your perspective) for either one.

Thanks for the perspective. I just cant fathom that USPSA's 2013 revolver nationals shooters got this done. Granted the standalone national last year had a few more show up than the 17 revolver shooters the year prior but still not enough to warrant a new gun. The blue print for this new revolver was in the can long ago.

The Big Rock Show opens in Vegas tomorrow, why wait for SHOT.

Like I said prior. ...

I'll take 3.

Accept for FO sites, grips I prefer and a trigger job, this gun has everything I would want if I could order a custom gun from Smith and Wesson. The 1 in 10 twist barrel is a really nice addition that I did not expect. I have a few guns with 1 in 10 twist .357 Douglas barrels and one with a .355 1 in 10 twist Walther barrel, they stabilize a wide range of bullets very well. I think it's going to be pretty easy to get good loads with most .355 to .357 bullets.

Chicken or the Egg, who cares. Would luv to play with one, but blew my limited budget last year for a 627 and I'm pleased with it.

Been a long haul from the Sunflower Classic in 2006 with 16 (darn near a record at that time) to The Iowa Classic to Memphis to a stand alone Revo Nationals to this.

Wow going from virtually 1 gun to choose for a dying Division to arguing about new guns and new options. Maybe it's serendipitous, or maybe the BOD found a crystal ball in Vegas? At least it looks as if there is a future for Revo Division.

Edited by pskys2

I was joking, sort of. It's too soon to tell yet, but when demand is high and supply is low or just beginning, sometimes you have to pay more than suggested retail to get a hot new product. Maybe there will be enough to go around and you can get it a little below retail, but probably not much. The bottom line is no one knows yet.

Edited by Toolguy

Do all dealers get the same price from the distributor and do distributors get the same price from Smith. Seems odd when a dealer say's better buy it from them because they can sell it cheaper than I can buy it?

Tom

Do all dealers get the same price from the distributor and do distributors get the same price from Smith. Seems odd when a dealer say's better buy it from them because they can sell it cheaper than I can buy it?

Tom

Great question, it seems unlikely to me that dealers all get same pricing from distribution, but maybe they do?

I'd imagine getting one of these "929's" is going to be about impossible for the average shooter....I'm ready and waiting cash in hand, but won't be holding my breath..... I shoot lot's of 9mm in various shooting competitions, buckets of good brass, bullets etc. The 8 shot "929" would be great for me. Bet your going to have to be one of the "connected" people or just plain lucky to be able to buy a "929" ?. Unfortunately for me and other average shooter's, we are not on the "good old boy list"....

Tom

Great question, it seems unlikely to me that dealers all get same pricing from distribution, but maybe they do?

As a long-time dealer, I can assure you the answer to both questions is no. Pricing is always driven by purchase volume.

I'd imagine getting one of these "929's" is going to be about impossible for the average shooter....I'm ready and waiting cash in hand, but won't be holding my breath..... I shoot lot's of 9mm in various shooting competitions, buckets of good brass, bullets etc. The 8 shot "929" would be great for me. Bet your going to have to be one of the "connected" people or just plain lucky to be able to buy a "929" ?. Unfortunately for me and other average shooter's, we are not on the "good old boy list"....

Apparently, they are adding the 929 to the "regular" PC product line (as opposed to making the gun for a single distributor like Lipsey's or Bangers or Lew Horton). This means the gun should be reasonably available to everyone.

Tom

Short answer, like Mike said, is no. Small volume dealers often have problems getting fast selling items since the distributors will allocate them to large volume dealers. Additionally, some distributors will only sell to you if you have "X" amount of sales volume. Another reason is special orders are normally shipped one at a time and the whole shipment charge goes against that one gun. If I'm a big dealer and order 10 guns that ship for $50.00, that cost is spread out more than the single gun that ships for the same price.