Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags for open division

G17

I'm sorry for this very newbie question. How many mags do you all use for open division? Could i get away with just two mags/mag holders both with 170mm extensions? That would be around 50 rounds. Or should i go one more? This setup will be for a Glock 17. Also, do you recommend buying 140mm extensions or 170?

As a minimum I would recommend one 170mm and three 140+mm mags, and three mag pouches on your belt. That should get you through any legal course of fire with some margin (always carry more than you think you will need!). Ideally, I think a good mag quiver for open is two 170mm and four 140+mm mags. That way if your mags get sketchy you have backups. Also, the extra mags are handy as some classifiers have multiple strings and mandatory reloads, or stages which may be run back to back in a single shooting bay. IMHO, 140mm mags are faster on the reload.

I have three pouches and typically do not use another mag. 140's are easier to reload the gun with than are 170's for me so I always try to make that the case. Classifiers are typically shot with 140's and often the mags have to be dropped. If it is muddy, dusty, whatever, you will want enough mags to leave them lay and use fresh mags in each string. I think I have 2 170's and 6 140's

Hello: For your Glock use the extensions. Make one a 170mm and the other two 140mm. Start with the 170mm and find a good place to reload to the 140mm. You can even reload to stock high cap mags. Or you could just use all 140mm mags. I have been using my short mags alot recently since the stages have been shorter and to practice reloads. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

. I think you should have 4 mags.. 3 on your belt .. one in your gun.......... last weekend i shot a charity

match ... one stage had 50 steel targets.. next stage had 50 bowling pins.. needed plenty of ammo

Thanks for the advice guys. Also, What are the magnets for i see on DAA website? Is it just a different way to hold your magazines or something? Can someone explain a little better, Thanks.

The magnets really shine on unloaded table starts where mag has to be on table. Pick up gun and one mag and load up, snatch other mag up and slap on magnet instead of fumbling with trying to cram it in a pouch in a hurry.

I like to attach my mag to my front pouch so it is similar to pulling the reload out of the front mag. And trust me, the mag is plenty strong to even hold a Glock mag!

What I have are three 140's and one 170. What I stick in the gun, and put on my belt is determined by the stage. I only start / use the big stick when it is warranted. There are times when I start with a stock magazine, like some qualifiers . . . no point dropping an extended mag on the ground after just 6 shots.

You know I asked the same thing when I was starting this sport and everyone said four. I use 3 mags in limited division and had never had a problem except on one stage where I dropped a mag and had to pick it up. Other than that 3 mags have served me well. Even if they where all 170 I would say go with 3(mainly for those stages that ask for mandatory mag changes) of course 4 would be nice, 3 would do if your strapped for cash.

I love my cr speed versa mag pouches. They work very good. I shoot a 2011, but my father also uses the cr speed versa's and he shoots glocks. magnates will not work well with glock mags.

Edited by hax

I used my 170 for everything but classifiers and I carried a spare 170 on field stages. My thought was, if I had a rare jam early on in the stage. I could go to the other 170 and stay on my stage plan.

^^^this

...and practice reloading with 170's. I know of several shooters that carry nothing but 170's. I'm working on this over the winter.

• 2 months later...

I run 3 mag pouches - I will use 2 170mm and 4 140mm mags at a match. Always have 1 more than you need.

Number of magazines required for open? It's going to depend on the stages you shoot.

There are several situations where you will need that "extra" magazine on a stage. Magazine spring fails and doesn't push the next round up in time, causing a jam. Dump the bad mag, reload with the "extra" and keep going. Miss a reload (have even seen GM shooters do this) and have to go to the "extra". Running through a stage and a magazine pops off of your belt. Better have the "extra" with you or you just trashed the stage.

Personally, there are seven 140's and three 170's in the gun bag. A couple are dedicated "reload" magazine that are used indoors on concrete. They are the ones that get dumped onto the floor (feed lips always hit first as that's where the weight is located from the still-loaded ammunition) so the feed lip dimensions are tolerance checked before being used in the match.

BC