Hard Chrome recommendations

SMS2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would call them but I think last time it was around $250 and a couple weeks. For me, I don't really care so much about cost and time cause for me it is a necessary thing so I am gonna do it.

Thanks for the help. Since I have no frame of reference on hard chroming other than when I commissioned the builds, cost and timeline are important for a frame of reference between refinishers.

Thanks

I see APW recommended several times. What Should I expect to pay for frame and top end, including small controls? And what type of timeline should I expect?

Thanks

You can expect 4 to 6 weeks. If you have any parts Bright polished, it takes a little longer to shine em up. APW has the cost on their web site, but I would call to confirm the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any problems with APW ?

Specifically concerning plating on the threads and problems re-assembling the parts after the plating process.

I know APW is fantastic, I was just a little bit nervous with a few parts with fine threads that are very tight now and would not go together with a coating of hard chrome plating on them.

Do those threads need to be protected in some way or will APW make sure nothing gets on those threads ?

Any thoughts or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I would call them but I think last time it was around $250 and a couple weeks. For me, I don't really care so much about cost and time cause for me it is a necessary thing so I am gonna do it.

Why is a must?

I just sent in my stripped open gun to APW (frame, slide and barrel/comp) a couple of weeks ago and I was quoted $230 plus shipping. The fact that it is -8 outside made it a good time to send it in. Even so, I am kind of eager to get it back

• 8 months later...

I have had 3 SV custom guns done by TechPlate. Their work is awesome. I had another one done by a well known hard chrome vendor. The work was far inferior to TechPlate.

Remember, the prep work is the key to a great finish. Spend the time preparing you slide, frame, etc. Any imperfections will not be hidden by the hard chroming.

Additionally, some gunsmiths are not use to the added tolerances that hard chroming can cause, i.e., slides are sometimes a little tighter as a result. That is why you hear some say, break your gun in first then send.

Kodiak Precision is known for its great finishes--90% is the result of preparation.