Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome recommendations

SMS2

You don't have to do any prep. APW is first rate! They will do any work needed. Of course it goes without saying you will want to clean the parts thoroughly or they will charge you for that as well. If you have imperfections like dings or scratches you want fixed they can do that for a price as well. Heck APW even builds guns so they know quite a bit about fit and finish. The difference in glossiness of the chrome depends on how much prep work they do which is why the more it shines the more it costs. Best thing to do is email or call them directly and tell them what you have and what you want then let them explain how to get there

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dan Bedell did some work for me on an open gun and strongly discouraged me from getting the gun hard chromed. I highly respect his opinion. I opted for the Robar NP3 + self lubricating finish. you might want to check it out

did he give you reasons why not to chrome??

Wow that looks nice. Now I might sound chrome-stupid here, but is that still hard chromed just a more flat chrome vs a high-glossy finish?

That pic is matte finish. Next step is brushed finish is what most competition guns I see have. Then there is mirror or polished. Super glossy but shows all fingerprints, smudges etc.

Edited by Sarge

I honestly like that finish over the glossy. Reading this post, would it be safe to assume that the more glossy/more prep work the more expensive? So this would be the cheaper option per say? Regardless I want to finish my open gun like this asap.

I honestly like that finish over the glossy. Reading this post, would it be safe to assume that the more glossy/more prep work the more expensive? So this would be the cheaper option per say? Regardless I want to finish my open gun like this asap.

The APW website is full of info. :) But matte and brushed cost the same. $200 for entire gun. I think mirror adds $50 to cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received back a couple guns from Metaloy and I am very disappointed. The chrome itself is perfect with no blotches or flaking, however they were given specific instructions NOT to bead blast, and that all finishing was complete and I wanted AS IS. (sent and email and even put a note in the box) Both guns had and panels, inlays and were surface ground on the sides and top. This is very frustrating after all the time building these guns and metal finishing, well see how they respond. Pics attached, in photo after3 is what the sides are suppose to look like and you can see how dull the transitions are.

post-50527-0-10920500-1421241715_thumb.j

post-50527-0-38758400-1421241728_thumb.j

post-50527-0-00699800-1421242031_thumb.j

post-50527-0-89146100-1421242042_thumb.j

You CAN electro nickel it though......

DougC

Or polish the beejesus out of it!

Didn't think of doing that.... I even polished my slide racker because I dinged up the "finish" which is aluminum and still didn't think of that... Thanks Sarge I'm going for it!

Just wanted to give a update on my post about the Metaloy issue I had. We stripped the chrome, refinished the slides and Metaloy is paying for the shipping and re-chrome. Chris at Metaloy was very easy to work with and if your not happy with the results they do stand behind there work.