Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contacts verses Glasses?

dskinsler83

Ok guys I am here with a question I have had for a couple of years. I am constantly under the thought process of would I do better with the glasses over the contacts? The contacts have to adjust since I have a horrible astigmatism or use the contacts? OR SHOOT WITHOUT CORRECTIVE LENSES???

Now that is a thought that I have been seeing work for a friend that just made master, he can't see the targets to score as he shoots on,y his front sight so he only has a front sight focus.

Just some random thinking while taking a break from dry fire here,

I'd go for glasses (which I wear) as I/you don't have to wear anything else (safety glasses with the contacts?) and go for single vision with the dominant eye set for front sight and other set for distance. I and other people haven't had any trouble with this set up but some people can't hack it - headaches, etc. Only way to tell is to try it.

Best if you take the gun you use in for eye appointment - but be sure to ask first if it is alright w/eye doctor.

What division do you shoot most?

I have a -11.5 prescription with astigmatisms and have worn gas permeable contacts for 30 years now (I'm 37). Gas perms give sharper vision than soft lenses. I struggled a little shooting open sights and ended up as an Open shooter for life. I just wear normal safety glasses for shooting. No problemo.

You could always play the game of trying different corrections by swapping out the lenses just for shooting and just for everyday wear.

I have mono-vision. This where one eye sees near and the other sees far. I naturally fell into this, not all people can deal with mon-vision.

Generally, my right eye (non-dom) has a sharp near focus. I learn to close my left dominant eye about the time I am pulling the trigger.

This situation is reversed when I shoot clays. Although I can shoot a decent round of skeet shooting left handed my scores are better using my non-dominant eye. I change contacts and reverse-dominate eye has a short focus and right non-dominate eye is used for clays.

This situation works very well for me.

An alternative method is to use two pairs of glasses. I have been wearing contacts for more than 40 years.

I wear soft contacts, but never really thought about it with the exception of dry firing. When I dry fire I'm usually wearing my glasses and going back and forth, I'm not sure I'm doing myself any favors.

Biggest issue is that my eye will go out of focus or the contact dries out or something.

Eye drops.

+1 Kinda like saying "Biggest problem I have during the day is I get thirsty" Throw some Blink drops in your bag... Problem solved.

For shooting, I use dailies. Put them in before I leave (or at the range if its a long drive) and I never notice they are there. When I am done shooting I pop them out, throw them on the ground, glasses on, and away I go.

My eyes have never dried out with them. I'll post what they are when I get home, Daily contacts, brown box... 100% changed my view on this entire conversation.

I've used my soft lens contacts for years. I have drops in my bag. I'm just saying that the astigmatism lens have to rotate to focus that's how they work. So if they don't focus right off then it is an issue that I'm starting to notice as I progress. My left eye is much stronger and in better shape than my right dominant eye. I have to keep the left blurred out with tape.

I am toying with the idea of just having glasses to shoot with I dunno

Same issue and i gave up on contacts and had shooting glasses made

Went to eye doctor and have my shooting glasses set up with right eye focus on my front sight, left eye for more distance and i can shoot both eyes open this way

Took my slide in and she dialed in my prescription for that distance to my front sight

I wear contacts. Tried the close and distance focus contacts and it worked fine. The last time I got contacts that give me 20/20 vision (just like being young again) and feel that this is a better approach for me. If you are going to give contacts a try I would suggest getting a few pair of samples and see what works best for you. I am a right handed shooter and right eye dominant.

Really guys come on I have already stated I wear contacts daily lol. I'm just curious what others have tried and noticed using your glasses over your contacts helped.

Daily contacts get expensive and the hydro clear ones tore my eyes up I was allergic to them something. Dunno why that is lol. I have crazy allergies anyways. You can only shoot as fast as you can see and as i have progressed in my abilities and I drive my eyes to the target and the gun follow and I snap back to the front sight sometimes the contacts don't adjust that quick

Really guys come on I have already stated I wear contacts daily lol. I'm just curious what others have tried and noticed using your glasses over your contacts helped.

Daily contacts get expensive and the hydro clear ones tore my eyes up I was allergic to them something. Dunno why that is lol. I have crazy allergies anyways. You can only shoot as fast as you can see and as i have progressed in my abilities and I drive my eyes to the target and the gun follow and I snap back to the front sight sometimes the contacts don't adjust that quick

How do your eyes do when you're not at the range, or if you have a pair of glasses, can you go from far to near and adjust with no problems while wearing them. Have you thought maybe it's not your contacts causing the problem. I'm not an eye doctor, but I did go to one about 3 months ago.

I've worn contacts since about 1968. Always got along great with them. In more recent years, I need reading glasses too. I have astigmatism.

For some years now, I've been using the soft lenses. Very comfortable.

For shooting handguns, I use stick on bifocals. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20.html I place them high on the lenses of my shooting glasses. Works good for me.

Always interested in a better way. Perhaps Lasic one day.

Edited by varminter22

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had terrible vision since elementary school and used to wear glasses and never though it hurt my accuracy. After switching to daily contacts I would never go back. Also the cost of daily lenses is worth it to me for the easy maintenance haha. Also contacts gives you more options for eye protection. I usually have a pair of clears, tinted, and dark tinted lenses with me and they can be cheaper since no prescription is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a -9.5 and -11 correction and soft contact lenses work for me. I have better peripheral vision with contacts than with glasses. The dry eye thing affects me sometimes but that usually means I didn't drink enough water and the eye drops need to come out of the shooting bag. I've also started carrying a spare set of lenses and saline in my shooting bag.

Are you aware that you can get 'continual focal length' gas permeable contacts? No need to do the one eye distance, one eye close vision thing .... I've been wearing contacts for distance vision for 20 years and a few years ago my near vision started to be less than 20/20 as well. Since I was already wearing gas permeables my eye doctorvsuggested I try these. Not everyone can wear them but I put them on and can see near and far without issue. If i went with glasses, I'd need bifocals and would have to move my head to see near and far ....

I have had terrible vision since elementary school and used to wear glasses and never though it hurt my accuracy. After switching to daily contacts I would never go back. Also the cost of daily lenses is worth it to me for the easy maintenance haha. Also contacts gives you more options for eye protection. I usually have a pair of clears, tinted, and dark tinted lenses with me and they can be cheaper since no prescription is needed.

the dailies are the best, but if he has a large astigmatism, they are not available

Here's an option to try. I have astigmatism. Hate wearing glasses for anything. I feel like I am absolutely peripherally blind. My astigmatism is slight, so the best option was for me to avoid the weighted contacts at all costs. I did not like the way I would move my head and eyes and have to wait for the contacts to catch up. My vision was correctable without using weighted contacts, so I wear hydroclear advance disposables for non astigmatism. Since focus range is what you seem to be asking about, I would ask the eye dr if that is an option you can try. Most will give you a sample to try out after the checkup. If we are talking about short focus, it may be just the ticket, and you wont know unless you give it a shot.