Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Safe

mhoosier

i tend to agree with the guys who say go bigger than you think you need. partly because (as someone already mentioned) a lot of safe makers overestimate how many guns you can actually fit in their safe. Like a safe for 12 long guns often only really comfortably fits 6.

Having extra room is nice as it means for example you can store your pistols in their case inside the safe rather than having to stash the empty cases somewhere and the pistols naked in the safe. makes it easy than unpacking and re-packing every time you want to go shoot them.

Other than that don't be fooled by really thick doors. they are mostly hollow and often a 2inch thick door like that will offer less protection than say a 1/4 thick door that is of good quality steel plate... so do some research to understand exactly what it is you're getting for your money.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hinges on the outside allows the door to open past 90 degrees which a very nice feature. It also allows more room to get into the safe and it doesn't take up space inside when the door is closed. If you have a chance to check them out in person, compare to two different styles. The benefits will be obvious.

Got my "Winchester" safe at Sam's Club -- Similiar to Costco but from advertisement's Costco has much better selection -- They are not the best safe but pretty decent.

Advice is to determine where it is going and get the biggest safe that will fit in that location, but make sure it will fit through all the doorways and house obsticles.

The best money I spent was hiring a professional safe mover -- for $150 he picked up the safe from a Sam's Club 40 miles from the house and delivered to the basement. He laid down plywood on the tile floor to protect and did a great job. To move to the final location I used wood dowels to roll the safe into position -- I was not ready for the safe since I was putting up concrete board around the safe location to added protection from fire/theft.

The advertised number of guns a safe can hold is probably based on a short muzzle loader -- add bolt actions, scopes, AR's and the quantity goes way down.

I add the following to mine:

-- Battery powered lights, got them as Sam's. Wave your hand in front of them to turn on/off -- they do a decent job of lighting up the interior.

-- Pistol storage hanger for the inside of the door, holds 6 or more guns in velcro holsters. Think I got them from Sportsman Guide but do not see them now. Really increased the storage capacity and keeps most used shooters close.

-- Goldenrod or similiar device, mine in a Browning brand -- heats up the interior so that water vapor does not condense on the rifles/pistols/etc. Safe needs a access hole for the electricity.

-- And after my safe became overcrowded I purchased the Rifle Rod kit to increase capacity -- http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Storage-Solutions-Starter-19-Inch/dp/B00570T3R4 -- which allowed me to fit a few more long guns into the safe. The added benefit is that now I only have to remove 2 guns to get to the back of the safe, versus before I had to remove 5 to 6 guns. Required me to remove the lower devider but no bid deal.

-- And I also purchased Bore Stores for my pistols that I do not shoot often -- http://www.borestores.com/order_online.php?cam=show_cat&cat_id=122&nav=Handgun Cases -- to protect them. Allows me stack them close together and not worry about scratches and great protection from Rust/Corrosion.

UK

Edited by UKWildcats

Got my "Winchester" safe at Sam's Club -- Similiar to Costco but from advertisement's Costco has much better selection -- They are not the best safe but pretty decent.

Advice is to determine where it is going and get the biggest safe that will fit in that location, but make sure it will fit through all the doorways and house obsticles.

The best money I spent was hiring a professional safe mover -- for $150 he picked up the safe from a Sam's Club 40 miles from the house and delivered to the basement. He laid down plywood on the tile floor to protect and did a great job. To move to the final location I used wood dowels to roll the safe into position -- I was not ready for the safe since I was putting up concrete board around the safe location to added protection from fire/theft.

The advertised number of guns a safe can hold is probably based on a short muzzle loader -- add bolt actions, scopes, AR's and the quantity goes way down.

I add the following to mine:

-- Battery powered lights, got them as Sam's. Wave your hand in front of them to turn on/off -- they do a decent job of lighting up the interior.

-- Pistol storage hanger for the inside of the door, holds 6 or more guns in velcro holsters. Think I got them from Sportsman Guide but do not see them now. Really increased the storage capacity and keeps most used shooters close.

-- Goldenrod or similiar device, mine in a Browning brand -- heats up the interior so that water vapor does not condense on the rifles/pistols/etc. Safe needs a access hole for the electricity.

-- And after my safe became overcrowded I purchased the Rifle Rod kit to increase capacity -- http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Storage-Solutions-Starter-19-Inch/dp/B00570T3R4 -- which allowed me to fit a few more long guns into the safe. The added benefit is that now I only have to remove 2 guns to get to the back of the safe, versus before I had to remove 5 to 6 guns. Required me to remove the lower devider but no bid deal.

-- And I also purchased Bore Stores for my pistols that I do not shoot often -- http://www.borestores.com/order_online.php?cam=show_cat&cat_id=122&nav=Handgun Cases -- to protect them. Allows me stack them close together and not worry about scratches and great protection from Rust/Corrosion.

UK

Thanks UK...those rifle rods look like a great solution to making the most of the available space!

I spent a lot of time researching safes a few years ago and went with a Sturdy Safe. They are not as flashly as others but are very robust for the money. I preferred to put my money towards more steel.

I agree. Did the same research and came up with the same conclusion.

I have a stack on that I got at a day after thanksgiving to get me by, and now I need to replace it already. The best quality that is has is that it came with the door pocket system. I really only put mags and 2 .22 pistals in the holders though. I just dont know if I could trust Velcro to hold my STI.

My grandfather had a gun room in his basement. It was about 15x12ft room, and I have always wanted one. Wife and I are looking for new houses, and that is the only thing I care about. Can I build a safe room in the basement? I would also like to see pictures of others safe rooms if anyone wants to post them.

I've read a lot of bad reviews concerning electronic locks people having to pay lock smith to get to there guns. So I've been steering away from getting one with electronic lock. Anyone have anything to steer me other way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

In 2010 I started having trouble with the manual lock on my AmSec 14 gun safe I've had since 1992; when I called the manufacturer they said the tumblers just wear out. I guess it makes sense since there was a time from '92 to '97 when it was opened at least twice daily.

I paid a safe company to replace it with an electronic lock. I wasn't real happy with their install so I took it apart and re did it myself; if I'd have know how easy it was I would've bought the parts and done it myself.

I've been happy with the electronic lock although it did burn through its first set of batteries recently.

I've read a lot of bad reviews concerning electronic locks people having to pay lock smith to get to there guns. So I've been steering away from getting one with electronic lock. Anyone have anything to steer me other way?Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Liberty's version of the electronic lock is way cool. Battery assessible from the outside-no worries.

Very happy with my Liberty Fat Boy (electronic lock) and with the dealer that delivered and installed it. I bought from a semi-local dealer who sets up Liberty safe displays at gunshows around the area. He offered me $200 off on a "scratch and dent special" Fatboy with really just a scrub mark on one side where he got too close moving a display model. You can't see it on the side of the safe in the back of the closet. I added an additional shelf across the top and can really pack a lot of guns in it. I wanted to buy from a local stocking gun store but they did not offer the deal this guy did and there was also a rebate at the time that they failed to mention. I tried to keep my money closer to home but not for an extra $275.

Hinges on the outside allows the door to open past 90 degrees which a very nice feature. It also allows more room to get into the safe and it doesn't take up space inside when the door is closed. If you have a chance to check them out in person, compare to two different styles. The benefits will be obvious.

In addition to this some allow you to press out the pins on the hinges and remove the door which can make the safe easier to handle. Also interior hinges compromise on fireproofing around the hinges due to space constraints.

I just ordered an American Security. I got the biggest one that will fit through the door to the room I plan to locate it. There will be maybe an inch to spare...a little nervous about that. I'll let you know how I like it. Found what appears to be a really great deal from a place that AmSec vouched for. It has external hinges so the door will open past 90, but I don't think it is removable.

Once you get to a safe that's 30W x 24D x 60H you can pretty much modify and configure the inside schematic to fit whatever long guns and pistols you have at the moment. And it can always be reconfigured at any time to accommodate your current needs.

However, one thing you should be aware of is that most all safes you see in the $1000 -$2000 range are designed to keep out the honest or lazy thief. While they might look impressive at 800lbs -1200lbs unless they are rated they can easily be broken into by 2 kids with a crowbar in under 2 minutes. If you want a more secure safe look for UL approved ratings. One rating is a TL rating. for example a TL30 rated safe would mean that it would stand up to the use of tools for 30 minutes.

Hope this helped