Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2-Gun: Here to stay or Fad?

I wonder what kind of participation 3-gun would get over 2-gun if full powered SG loads were required, either by rules or steel settings? I mean a whole 2 day match with SD loads and slugs.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, the ammo would be expensive, sure, but the Chiropractor would probably be even more.

Welcome to Ironman!

Seriously though, I am amazed at how many dislike the shotgun. I guess it is my bird hunting background that gets me excited about shotgun heavy stages and even looking for an all shotgun match to try.

I have only shot USPSA and 3 Gun. 2 Gun I would try but I'm guessing that for me it would be a distant second to 3 gun.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like shotguns more than anything but to be honest it's not real practical, it's only a bunch of fun to blast stuff. Seriously, how on earth is wearing some funky vest with stacks of two shells so you can stuff bird shot in your gun 12 shells at a time actually practical and testing some kind of usable skill? It's just not. The things that ARE practical, such as skeet, nobody really wants to do in 3-gun. Otherwise, the rifle and pistol spills over into the tactical world but shotguns are really only used for blowing hinges off doors nowadays so there's really no reason for anybody to practice many of these shotgun skills outside of 3-gun. 2-gun should theoretically be much more realistic.

Shotguns also have a place for less lethal applications and for putting down large animals like bear and moose. Been there done that. But for any serious call dealing with a armed human threat give me a rifle any day.

Pat

I'm another that seriously dislikes shotguns, tried 3gun for awhile and just had no fun with the shotgun. I had a really nice custom M2 so it was not the equipment, it just felt like the wrong tool that was clumsy to reload in a high speed environment. Besides three guns is A LOT of gear to keep up with and drag around the range. So yes I would be willing to attend a 2 gun match as I really like my Stag 3g

Paul glad you made it to the match, and I think you are going to be hooked after you shoot TFD.

I shot the USCA match . The match was fun , but I didn't care for a couple things in the match. I think it will draw some new shooters into multigun. I will go again next year if it doesn't interfere with any Major 3G event , that I plan on going to.

I thought for the most part they did a good job , but just have some growing pains and need a better way of scoring. I was also bummed they threw out the only long range stage .

I'll take pretty much any combination of guns, or shotguns or rifle over a handgun only match and I think that there's definitely room for two gun matches, no matter what the combinations are. However, the easiest way to get it going would be to just use rules that are already available but just drop one of the three guns. I dont really see the point of coming up with something new that tries too hard to be different, IMGA works, why not just stick with that?

I shot the USCA nationals match. It was a shooting competition so it can't be bad, right? I've shot one gun USPSA, shotgun, and rifle matches. None hold a candle to good old 3 gun though. More guns equal more fun ! The beauty of the one gun and the new 2 gun league is that it's a gateway to get more shooters into 3 gun. The shotgun is typically the holdup for new 3 gunners and that is exactly what they addressed with their new league. There is also a big following for IDPA type imitation real world or "tactical" shooting challenges. They will draw a bunch of those shooters from that group too.

At Rio Salado we run several rifle-only matches each year. We also run our monthly 3-Gun match as a "shotgun optional" once or twice a year... the shooter has the option of using pistol in place of shotgun. These matches run under IMA-SMM3G (time plus) rules.

Both match formats have proven to be VERY popular, with high participation rates from folks who don't normally attend our 3-Gun events. Some have subsequently gone and bought a shotgun so they can shoot 3-Gun too, but a lot of folks don't make that transition. I believe there is a large and untapped market for rifle-pistol matches, but USCA isn't there from a rules perspective.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

All recreational shooting is good.

I love me some shotguns and all the games played with that tool.

To that...in this little berg I call home (we used to have three 3-Gunners, one moved so we have two) I put on a

Steel Challenge match with....wait for it....SHOTGUNS! We had 20 shooters that showed up for something they had never done before.

Reports are they had a great time and want to do it again.

Without the loading and capacity issues (5 rounds will get you through) my little town was able to support an Action Shotgun Event.

Back on topic... 2 gun will become the new "outlaw" as it doesn't know if it is practical, tactical, IPDA for just fun.

I just shoot for fun. If 2Gun decides to be fun...I'll shoot it. I am too old to be a tactical timmy.

I believe there is a large and untapped market for rifle-pistol matches

True this is...

Devoted 3-gunners worth their salt would shoot them. And the added attendance of practical rifle/pistol only shooters (insert huge number here) is a very BIG plus for all.

I'll take pretty much any combination of guns, or shotguns or rifle over a handgun only match and I think that there's definitely room for two gun matches, no matter what the combinations are. However, the easiest way to get it going would be to just use rules that are already available but just drop one of the three guns. I dont really see the point of coming up with something new that tries too hard to be different, IMGA works, why not just stick with that?

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking!

If I could shoot only one type of match, it would be 3 Gun.

I also like 2 Gun.

I've shot the local USCA match in NSB before and will do so again. Obviously there were some growing pains with the National match but I enjoyed it overall and it's Local (3hr away)

Down here we have the SFDC-South Florida Defensive Carbine Club which predates the CFDCC and USCA.

It's a monthly 2 gun match with similar scoring but much more heavily penalized for any FTN.

The local USPSA club also has a monthly multigun match that might be just rifle, rifle and shotgun or rifle pistol shotgun.

I think if it gets more people out shooting and competing its a good thing

All recreational shooting is good.

I love me some shotguns and all the games played with that tool.

To that...in this little berg I call home (we used to have three 3-Gunners, one moved so we have two) I put on a

Steel Challenge match with....wait for it....SHOTGUNS! We had 20 shooters that showed up for something they had never done before.

Reports are they had a great time and want to do it again.

Without the loading and capacity issues (5 rounds will get you through) my little town was able to support an Action Shotgun Event.

Back on topic... 2 gun will become the new "outlaw" as it doesn't know if it is practical, tactical, IPDA for just fun.

I just shoot for fun. If 2Gun decides to be fun...I'll shoot it. I am too old to be a tactical timmy.

This^ But shotgun Steel Challenge? I'm so in!!!!!!!!

3 guns are not enough. I like matches that use real rifles as well. Shotguns, pistols, bolt guns, big gas guns, pistol caliber carbines, sub guns other than mp5's, 50's, crew served autos, and tomahawk missiles. Let's add strategerie to our matches!

If I were retired and ran a range I think the best schedule would be.

1st Sunday USPSA pistol match.

2nd Sunday Carbine Match

3rd Sunday Shotgun match

4th Sunday Three gun match.

Pat

Pat,

If your range is within 2-hours drive of my house, I'll shoot all four!

Three gun is my favorite (by a lot). I've shot some carbine matches and they were lots of fun. I've shot some carbine/shotgun matches and enjoyed them. I shoot pistol matches when there isn't anything else available.

I'll bet a lot of 3-gunners would say something similar. We enjoy all of the weapon platforms (that's why we shoot 3-gun). If 2-gun formats mean more available matches... we'll shoot them. It's possible that there will also be people who don't want to shoot all three guns who will be attracted to the 2-gun matches.

Cheers,

Kelly

I thought the idea of having specialized matches for each gun would allow you to do things in the match you could not do in three gun because you have to shoot all three. You could build your skills on each weapon at the individual matches and at the end of the month put those skills you learned into the main event the three gun.

Pat

I like shotguns more than anything but to be honest it's not real practical, it's only a bunch of fun to blast stuff. Seriously, how on earth is wearing some funky vest with stacks of two shells so you can stuff bird shot in your gun 12 shells at a time actually practical and testing some kind of usable skill? It's just not. The things that ARE practical, such as skeet, nobody really wants to do in 3-gun. Otherwise, the rifle and pistol spills over into the tactical world but shotguns are really only used for blowing hinges off doors nowadays so there's really no reason for anybody to practice many of these shotgun skills outside of 3-gun. 2-gun should theoretically be much more realistic.

It's not really all intended to be practical, or realistic. It has martial roots, but it's a game.

If that was in response to my comment about 2-gun spilling over into the tactical world, let me explain. I work with a captain in the national guard who has spent quite a bit of time in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He wants to get into 3-gun to keep up his skill with transitions, but doesn't give a crap about the shotgun and really doesn't want to buy the equipment or spend the time learning how to reload the things, and especially doesn't want to buy a competition specific shotgun as all he has now is a cheap hunting based pump. 2-gun is much more appealing to those folks, and there's a lot of them. Me personally, the shotgun is the coolest part of it, but tons of people could care less about it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters