Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2-Gun: Here to stay or Fad?

I'm curious what folks thoughts are on 2-gun (rifle/pistol) especially with the USCA match just held this past weekend. For the record I was not there, but have seen the videos starting to find their way to youtube.

Personally I'm not a fan because I like shotgun and really only bought an AR to get into 3-gun. Without the whole package of all 3-guns, I probably would have just stuck with the pistol sports. I personally think it only appeals to people who aren't dedicated enough to learn the shotgun skill set.

On the other hand our local club, MN 3-gun Group, does do one 2-gun a year that has been historically popular. It does draw some USPSA shooters who are scared of shotguns, but overall its pretty much the same 3gun crowd that turns out for it.

What do you folks think? Is 2-gun going to grow legs, be an off-shoot/ non-mainstream sport like the tactical shotgun matches...or will it one day over shadow 3-gun?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I enjoy shotgunning, rifling, and pushing down on the pedal with a pistol. I think there is room for 2g and having diversity is good for shooters, ie., 3GN, USCA, USPSA, IDPA, IMG, and Outlaw matches! More matches the better.

Edited by Sterling White

If I was going to shoot 2 gun, my pick would be to drop the handgun.

But, this just goes to show you that everyone has different preferences, and for that reason I think any combination of 2 gun will grow and draw competitors. I don't see any version of 2 gun eclipsing the popularity of 3 gun, but I don't think that's the intent of USCA.

I like it, especially compared to a match that has like 20 shotgun rounds. It's way less crap to carry around, another gun I don't have to clean, and with all the new loading systems it's not really a separator in places like it used to be when people were just loading off the belt. I see the place for it, for sure. Especially with a more "tactical" oriented crowd and people that run a rifle and pistol for work. I would never put down my rifle to load some slugs slowly to sling lead 60 yards (that's why I have the rifle).

Though to be fair, I like all events where you shoot stuff. shooting stuff is awesome. Not spending all morning humping gear or resetting targets so I can shoot more is even better

I like all three guns all the time with that said I think two gun is a great addition and it will draw more people to the sport. I also believe two gun is a pit stop on the way to 3 gun!

The USCA match was fun mostly fast burn'em up stages. They only had 1 stage past 100 yards. The SNAFU with throwing out the one long range stage killed me but it was still a fun match with great people. I would definitely go again if it didn't conflict with a major 3gun match! I think they will continue to schedule appropriately around the major 3 gun matches to maximize their match attendance.

I think there is room for both and they won't bump into each other.

It would be nice to see more 2-gun matches locally, that might be another stepping stone for those that don't have a shotgun, to get into 3-gun.

Personally, I love the shotgun and enjoy 3-Gun matches that use all 3 guns on each stage.

There is a range in Birmingham that hosts monthly 2 gun matches. Just about each month it is a different combination of the 3 guns being used. I think that it helps get more trigger time for practicing for 3 gun matches. Personally, I enjoy how that club's matches are set up and cycles through combinations of the 3. I try to make that a monthly stop.

A 2-gun match that uses the basic 3-gun ruleset and just removes the shotgun from the equation would be very popular. The USCA match was not that. Weird rules that are different just for the sake of being different will not be popular, at least not with me.

2-gun matches are much easier to fly to. That alone would cause me to branch out farther geographically than I do for 3-gun.

A 2-gun match that uses the basic 3-gun ruleset and just removes the shotgun from the equation would be very popular. The USCA match was not that. Weird rules that are different just for the sake of being different will not be popular, at least not with me.

What kind of rules did USCA have in place that were odd?

What kind of rules did USCA have in place that were odd?

Penalties for loaded mags left on ground only on some stages, or in one case only part of a stage.

Paper targets requiring 2, 3 or in one case five hits.

Handguns had to be cleared before dumping, but could be reholstered hot (on safe if 1911/2011). We knelt and went prone with a loaded handgun in the holster. On stage 5 we could run uprange and then two bays over with a hot holstered pistol, but couldn't leave it on safe in a dump bucket at the front of the starting bay.

Rifles had to be cleared before slinging and transitioning to pistol, even if the pistol shooting position was simply standing.

On the long range stage we were told we could not advance until all targets were hit. In other words, you couldn't even try at the 200 yard targets until the 100 yard targets were all hit.

Coaching was evidentially allowed 100%, but RO's wouldn't give a verbal warning about foot faults, they just let you shoot and take the procedurals. One guy got something like 29 procedurals for shots fired without his rifle slung. Granted he should have read the rules, but an organization that claims 'beginner friendly' as a goal shouldn't let this happen without the RO trying to help a little. Especially if the entire peanut gallery can say anything they want to the shooter.

That's all I can remember right now.

Honestly, 4 years ago, I would have been all over it as I hated loading the shotgun. Now I enjoy the shotgun a lot more and can't think of more fun except when there are 4 guns.

The format, rules and scoring of the USCA needs a major adjustment for it to be accepted by 3Gunners, but they should certainly be applauded for the effort. Maybe there are enough folks who can't, or don't want to run full tilt 3Gun and prefer the format they offered. It was probably better overall than the original 3Gun match in 1980, and all trigger time is good time.

When I run a local 3Gun match and make shotgun/rifle optional, we get some USPSA pistol shooters shooting all pistol, some add a rifle and the 3Gunners use it to practice their skillsets.

1 gun, 2 gun, 3 gun, tomahawk, throwing knives, and blow darts. It's all good! And good to have options. For the 98% of us that will never win a gun off the prize table, this is our passion and entertainment. I think there is room for everything.

The format, rules and scoring of the USCA needs a major adjustment for it to be accepted by 3Gunners, but they should certainly be applauded for the effort.

Agree 100%... I think there is plenty of demand for 2-gun, and I hope they adapt because 2-gun within basic 3-gun format is lots of fun. Matches run fast and many more beginner shooters are likely to participate and excel. Our local club match allows shooters to choose to shoot it with or without the shotgun, and many first timers are grateful for that.

Ideally I'd like to see some 2 gun matches that drop the rifle because one of the clubs I shoot at doesn't allow centerfire rifles in the pits where we run uspsa, cowboy, and steel matches.

However if we could run rifles in the pits I think I wouldn't mind if they dropped the shotty.

I'm running a 2-gun rifle/pistol match this Saturday. I have started alternating 2-gun matches with our monthly speed steel matches. On non-speed steel months, we try to run a 2-gun match. I have talked with a bunch of the normal USPSA match attendees and some have shotguns and some have rifles, but most do not have all three guns. Since adding 2-gun matches to our schedule, I have noticed that a bunch of the 2-gun owners are now purchasing the 3rd gun to get into the local action.

So I think 2-gun matches open the door and pick the interest of the 2-gun owners...who might become 3-gunners some day!!!

Match placement comes down to how fast you can load a shotgun. It's like shooting revolver, how fast can you reload it? It's got nothing to do with the shooting. I'd probably go more often if the shotgun was out. I like shooting the shotgun but when it goes dry, dump it and go to another gun.

In my opinion.

I'm running a 2-gun rifle/pistol match this Saturday. I have started alternating 2-gun matches with our monthly speed steel matches. On non-speed steel months, we try to run a 2-gun match. I have talked with a bunch of the normal USPSA match attendees and some have shotguns and some have rifles, but most do not have all three guns. Since adding 2-gun matches to our schedule, I have noticed that a bunch of the 2-gun owners are now purchasing the 3rd gun to get into the local action.

So I think 2-gun matches open the door and pick the interest of the 2-gun owners...who might become 3-gunners some day!!!

I agree. I'd also say a good number of the local 3-gunners that shoot in the area are skipping the pistol only match at another club that day to come get more multi-gun shooting in - I know I am.