Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm in the process of filling for my type 7 FFL and then on to my class 2 SOT and I would like to come up with a good business name. After about a week of brainstorming I have come up what "GunWorks Munitions". A little more about my decision on the name to follow. The cliental I would like to attract would be your average Joe looking to buy a gun and ammunition. I would also like to attract people who are interested in having an AR built or wanting minor gunsmith work preformed. For now I will be working out of my home and I feel this will allow me to get my feet wet and learn what people want without the overhead of a store front. With a readily available source of gun loving Army buddies I feel that this would be possible. I will also have to ability to do class 2 firearm sales but I don't feel this will be the bulk of my business. Thinking about my future out of the Army I would like to have a store front and internet sales.

About little about my Business name. The world "Gun" will automatically let people know what im about. "Works" is my last name and it is kind of a play of words, catchy you could say. I chose munitions because everybody and their brother has tactical, arms, armory or something like that in their name. Munitions sounds cool to me so thats what I went with. Its also another identifier as to what I am about. I would eventually like to pursue the manufacturing of ammunition and I feel munitions plays along quite well. Although munitions by definition is related to WAR I feel that its still a good choice.

In typing this it sounds like I have made my mind up but with everything else in life a little conformation is was I am looking for. I just don't want to sound silly or dumb. Does the Business name capture the cliental I would like to attract? For a slogan I was thinking... "For all your Shooting and Firearm needs".

Thoughts??

Edited by cworks

The name works for me. (Pun intended)

Actually, I was going to seriously suggest "Works for me!" as part of the slogan.

Your name and game plan makes it sound like you really want to focus on the "tactical Timmy" crowd. Believe it or not, not everybody wants an AR/M4. And even fewer want one all tricked out like a swat gun. Don't get me wrong. I can see the Army guys connection. God love em'. Maybe do some stuff for them that is more elaborate. I think I would lean more towards filling the needs of the masses. Basic rifles, shotguns, Carry guns and holsters, plinking guns, training, and MAYBE ammo.

When I see "Gunworks" I see gunsmithing. Also, when I see munitions I automatically think AMMO! But "CWorks Arms and shooting supplies" Or "CWorks Arms and Ammo" or "CWorks guns and gear", all make me say, "CWorks, what does that mean? Catchy!

Of course all of this is just me thinking out loud about what I would probably do. But having a great name like Works leaves you in a good position. You should follow your heart and dreams. I agree with you trying to iron out a name though. Once you become famous you don't want to have to go back and reinvent yourself with a new name.

$.02 from someone who has spent far more time marketing than shooting :-)

First, ultimately the name doesn’t matter for your core repeat customers and folks they refer - pick what you like. Over time, your reputation and how people feel about you, your products, and your service will be what matters, and that reputation will be attached to whatever name you pick. Think about all the stupid names folks pick for bands, great music makes the whatever they call themselves cool. Conversely, bands that are not so great are really not helped at all with a great name.

Second, despite the point above, there is some importance in name to attract new business. It can help them understand if you sell something the are looking for (you won’t go to Frank’s Vacuums for a bike). And it can help them figure out what you focus on, both type of product and quality/price range. (Bud’s Discount Gun vs Larry’s Premium 1911 Gunsmithing). If you are the only game in town, no problem. If there are several alternatives, you might consider how you appear to someone new vs the competition, and if you care who they call first.

Looking at the second point further, the competition in Anchorage, I see from a quick search:

- Wild West Guns

- Alaska Custom Firearms

- Gun Runners

- Great Northern Guns

- Ammo King

- Alaska Tactical and Security … and maybe soon

- GunWorks Munitions

Again, it may be that no one does what you do, so eventually folks will make it to you. But I’d probably think of ‘Gunworks’ as a description (adjective) of Munitions, what you are (noun). So I’d think you and ammo king are ammo, and I’d call all the other ones first.

That said, if we were having a beer (or three), and you told me about your new shop. That you have a cool last name that can be woven in. And the main things you wanted to be known for are

- Gun sales

- Custom AR builds

- Minor Gunsmithing

- Ammo

And that you are more geared towards focusing on what your army buddies would like, vs the hunting/big game crowd (who don’t consume a fraction the ammo the tactical or action sport crowd does), I might suggest the following names, also knowing you are not a fan of ‘tactical armory arms’

Works’ Gun Sport (probably need to keep gun separate from other words to make sure search engines and locals find the ‘gun’

CustomWorks Gun

Works’ Custom Gun

Gun Works ( I was going to suggest something like Werks for a custom shop feel, but then saw Works was your name which is just fine)

Firearm Works

… personally, I’d go with simple short and clean “Gun Works” (and for your URL do something like ‘gunworksanchorage.com’)

Take this all FWIW, remember, I’ve had at least three beers :-)

All great ideas and thanks for the input. Personally if someone sees the name I chose and automatically thinks ammunition, that just might be a good thing now days. I do like the idea of "&" though :cheers:

Edited by cworks

The first thing you may want to do is check with the City/County ordinances, when applying for an 07 FFL the they may not allow this business to be run from your home. When they see the word "Manufacturer" in the license title they may say no for a residential zoning. You may have to start your business outside of your house right from the start.

One small detail on your name would be when receiving shipments having the word or words like guns-firearms-weapons... isn't the best idea. They make your shipments stand out for thieves in the shipping companies. You will want to abbreviate the name by the first letters.

Rich

I have put a lot of though into this and checked my state and Muni Laws. As long as my home business doesn't take up more than 25% of my square footage I'm good to go. They , I quote the muni employee, "don't regulate the sale of firearms, that's the federal governments issue". He was more worried about delivery trucks.

I'm not sure but there is only 1 GunWorks & Munitions that has a business license in the state of Alaska!

are you planning to stay in AK forever? I thought you were wanting to go global
Have to have a state business license to be legit. Plus it helps with the ATF approval for a home business if you have a State business license. Also to deal in NFA items you have to have a EIN# that you get through the IRS for tax purposes.

But now ill be leaving AK probably sooner than I anticipated. With a move you have to ensure you are within state guidelines for business purposes and I will have to do a change of address of my FFL/SOT through the ATF. Thats IF i get approved

Edited by cworks

$.02 from someone who has spent far more time marketing than shooting :-)

First, ultimately the name doesn’t matter for your core repeat customers and folks they refer - pick what you like. Over time, your reputation and how people feel about you, your products, and your service will be what matters, and that reputation will be attached to whatever name you pick. Think about all the stupid names folks pick for bands, great music makes the whatever they call themselves cool. Conversely, bands that are not so great are really not helped at all with a great name.

Second, despite the point above, there is some importance in name to attract new business. It can help them understand if you sell something the are looking for (you won’t go to Frank’s Vacuums for a bike). And it can help them figure out what you focus on, both type of product and quality/price range. (Bud’s Discount Gun vs Larry’s Premium 1911 Gunsmithing). If you are the only game in town, no problem. If there are several alternatives, you might consider how you appear to someone new vs the competition, and if you care who they call first.

Looking at the second point further, the competition in Anchorage, I see from a quick search:

- Wild West Guns

- Alaska Custom Firearms

- Gun Runners

- Great Northern Guns

- Ammo King

- Alaska Tactical and Security … and maybe soon

- GunWorks Munitions

Again, it may be that no one does what you do, so eventually folks will make it to you. But I’d probably think of ‘Gunworks’ as a description (adjective) of Munitions, what you are (noun). So I’d think you and ammo king are ammo, and I’d call all the other ones first.

That said, if we were having a beer (or three), and you told me about your new shop. That you have a cool last name that can be woven in. And the main things you wanted to be known for are

- Gun sales

- Custom AR builds

- Minor Gunsmithing

- Ammo

And that you are more geared towards focusing on what your army buddies would like, vs the hunting/big game crowd (who don’t consume a fraction the ammo the tactical or action sport crowd does), I might suggest the following names, also knowing you are not a fan of ‘tactical armory arms’

Works’ Gun Sport (probably need to keep gun separate from other words to make sure search engines and locals find the ‘gun’

CustomWorks Gun

Works’ Custom Gun

Gun Works ( I was going to suggest something like Werks for a custom shop feel, but then saw Works was your name which is just fine)

Firearm Works

… personally, I’d go with simple short and clean “Gun Works” (and for your URL do something like ‘gunworksanchorage.com’)

Take this all FWIW, remember, I’ve had at least three beers :-)

Awesome post.

I like "Gun Works."

Also -

GunWorks & Munitions (I think that was suggested) That name suggests, to new customers, that you could buy a gun, have a gun worked on, or buy some ammo.