Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What brand of 1911 mags and pouches?

Jasonatlaw

What mags do you guys like for your 1911 SS's? And what kind of pouches?

I have several ACT mags and they seem pretty good. I'm shooting a 45 and am looking for a few more 8 round mags. I have enough for me but have been working on dragging my dad along and he only has a couple (he also has a 1911 in 45). I was thinking I'd pick up a few more for me to have and I could lend some to him while he dips his toe in.

Thanks guys.

Oh that makes since. Is there more chance that they will fall out?

Some, but if you get the CompTac, they are cut as low as the rules allow and they have a tension screw that you can control how tight things are. The pure plastic ones you would need to be more careful with. Other makers probably have the same features as well. Depending on the game you are in, make sure you are in line with the rules and do not get them too short.

I like Chip power mags best. I have also used Wilson 47d mags, also work well. That is what I like for competition.

But I have dozens of mags of various brands. Colt mags seem good enough and I've even had good results with kimber tac mags.

I like comptac mag pouches, though the prices have gone up recently. Almost too expensive for what they are.

George

Edited by GeorgeD

I've used CMC power mags since I started, never a problem. Just got DAA SS Racer pouches, and they're fantastic. I'm running them all straight up, now, but may be experimenting with angles before long.

They replaced blackhawk pouches. In the DAAs are much slicker, and have a world of adjustability built in.

Brownells 8rd. mags, until they were backordered for several months. I tried the Metalform 8rd. mags from Midway, and they are the exact same mag. Brownells was tight-lipped about who the maker was, but it was pretty evident when comparing them. I use 6-7 Safariland kydex mag pouches turned vertical. These pouches are nearly 20 years old and long discontinued, but work great. I think they were model 077. I use a Bladetech holster from when they were handmade one at a time from a thick gauge kydex. All on a CR Speed belt.

I like the Metalform/Brownells mag for the stainless steel follower that won't get chewed up like the Wilson plastic follower. Built to be a lifetime mag.