Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Cowtown Classic USPSA Match 2014

I had a great time at the match shot all day Friday with squad 21. Thanks for putting up with one of the less speedy shooters and the catastrophic pants failure. I look forward to seeing everyone again next year!

I believe the final scores are here (Im sure someone will correct me if there not)

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=11226

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time and was privileged to shoot with an awesome squad...Squad 10. The stages were great as always at the Cowtown Classic and the RO's were courteous and professional. I didn't get to enjoy the lunch today, but Cobb's burger yesterday, was the best tasting burger I've had in a while!! Thanks to all of you who volunteered your time to make it happen. I'm looking forward to the Cowtown Classic 2015!

I thought it was pretty well run match and even better the stages were great. They offered a ton of options and a variety of difficulty even with a limited amount of hard cover and no no-shoots. The Cross Timbers crew did a great job.

Yes Friday was not perfect and I was on the last squad that finished at 7:10 pm. And yes Friday should have run smoother and since this is our second year we are still in a learning curve, but no excuse. I would like to honor you request for 1/2 refund on your match entry for this match, not full refund because I will honor this with my own money. Just PM me on this forum and I will send you a check.. Jimmy

Really fun match with awesome stages, great RO's who where consistent in shooter starts to scoring in our squad.

Thanks for the free water and Gatorade!

Meal was okay. But $9 for a burger, chips, packaged cookie and soda is a bit much when expecting BBQ.

First of all, Let me say how grateful that I am to all of the MD's, RM's, CRO's, RO's and all of the other players involved in putting on ANY match. Ya'll are the backbone of this sport. Thank you for all you do. I shot in the same squad as Jimmy on Friday and yes, It had its trials and tribulations. I knew well in advance that shooting 12 stages on Friday was going to suck. I shot it, Pissed and moaned a lot, But at the end of the day, I walked off the last stage beat down but content and happy that I got to blow off a day of work and shoot. RO'ing Sat/Sun was a blast. Good crew, All of the squads were awesome, And everything flowed well, At least, Until Murphy showed up for our last squad of the match and put his curse on the stomp pad for the drop turner. As much of a downer that it must have been for squad 1 to have a SNAFU on their last stage, They acted like true sportsmen/ladies and we got everything resolved and cleared the range by noon. To all of the shooters and staff that I dealt with this weekend, Thanks for being a classy group of people. If you don't have the patience to deal with a little bit of adversity, I suggest that you stay home and pull weeds.

Mike

, And everything flowed well, At least, Until Murphy showed up for our last squad of the match and put his curse on the stomp pad for the drop turner. As much of a downer that it must have been for squad 1 to have a SNAFU on their last stage, They acted like true sportsmen/ladies and we got everything resolved and cleared the range by noon.

Mike

All it took was 55 gallon drum of slide glide. LOL

You guys did a great job working on it to get it working.

, And everything flowed well, At least, Until Murphy showed up for our last squad of the match and put his curse on the stomp pad for the drop turner. As much of a downer that it must have been for squad 1 to have a SNAFU on their last stage, They acted like true sportsmen/ladies and we got everything resolved and cleared the range by noon.

Mike

All it took was 55 gallon drum of slide glide. LOL

You guys did a great job working on it to get it working.

Friction is a fickle thing, Isn't it?

Agreed. Hence, Stage 1 is one of my best performances. :)

Seriously, really like the stages. A terrific combination of speed, distance, and options.

I must say - the RO's on stage 1 were the most professional and consistent RO's I've ever seen!

Edited by justaute

Notwithstanding my sub-sub-par performance, I had no mike on swingers -- and there were a lot of swingers.

And you actually hit the swinger :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by justaute

Last year this match was great; organized, smooth, and very fun. This year was not a very enjoyable experience. I shot on Friday and to me it was the exact opposite of last year; unorganized, rough, and not very fun.

• No shooters meeting. There was an RO meeting prior to the match, which I should have attended (will explain later)
  • No stage descriptions were read
  • Squads were jumping stages, which seemed ok at the time of the jump, but that became very clustered very fast and in the end caused squads to wait for an unneeded extended period of time.
  • Squads of 8 or less was not good number for a Level II match
  • Some squads did not have an RO which is mandatory for each stage of a Level II match
  • Even squads with an RO had non-RO contestants who paid the full match fee "running" and scoring other contestants
  • contestants who paid the full match fee were operating the Nook without any prior training to this match, and the Nooks were very troublesome and slow
  • Allowing people who were not shooting on Friday to walk stages while those shooting on Friday were trying to get their rushed walk through in. Could we have told them to move? Sure, but that would be the place of a match official that was not assigned to stages, and by that point of the day honestly no one cared because of all the above.

I feel it was a shame that the majority of the Friday shooters had to experience at least part of this if not all of it. I do understand the concept of assisting with taping and resetting/painting steel after a squad mate shoots, but at a level II match contestants who paid the full match fee should not be required to RO, score, then after RO'ing or scoring help tape and reset steel. This is because there was not enough people on the squads. Many times we had to finish RO'ing or scoring, then jump right into shooting the stage. Not a good scenario for a contestant who paid the full match fee.

I think the match organizers should show a sign of good faith and refund all the paid contestants who shot Friday their full match fee, or at least 1/2 of the fee.

I am sure those that shot Sat/Sun have a different opinion of the match and I hope they enjoyed it. I am sure they did not have to experience any of this and they had a smooth, organized, and very fun match that they paid for and deserved. That is not sarcasm, just an assumption on my part.

I was also on an 8 person squad Friday with I think an RO, he tried to RO but did scoring mostly, good thing we brought 3 certified RO's so we managed. I RO'd quite a bit and I'm sure my performance was effected by the constant distraction and lack of preparing. Hat's off to the shooters on my squad as all pitched in and did what was needed to keep things moving and our squad did not finish until about 6:30-7:00 so we had a very full day as well. Overall I enjoyed the stages, learned a few things about swingers, loved that drop turner, the range was very nice and well laid out. Many thanks to the guy handing out water as I did not bring enough!

I'm sure things will be worked out for next year and God knows it an't easy putting on a match especially one of this size, however I will be back next year but on Sat/Sun............

Edited by xdnok

I must say - the RO's on stage 1 were the most professional and consistent RO's I've ever seen!

I thought one of them sounded like a range nazi :roflol:

Ya that Andy guy can be like that at times...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

... Thanks for putting up with one of the less speedy shooters and the catastrophic pants failure...

This needs explanation (pictures or video would be even better :D )

Big thanks to the VOLUNTEER staff, the fantastic range and ranch staff! As the RM some of this falls on me. We were running fine till lunch time, then some squads shot through lunch and things fell apart. It was the staff match, sorry that was not made more clear to those thinking they were at a country club with bag boys and caddies. Since there was no Shooter McGavin registered for the match, I won't even consider anything that person has to say. One person talked to me on Friday, I did what I could. I am a VOLUNTEER, trying to help put on a match, when you pay me to work, then you can bitch at me about my work. my phone number is listed.

It sucks when you are in your car on your way home after 3 days of VOLUNTEERING only to get an email from your Area Director telling you your match had issues. Makes you want to go play outlaw 3 gun. If folks would volunteer more and be helpful, maybe things could and would run smoother. But when it's a ALL VOLUNTEER event, and you are short staffed, stuff happens. The match staff worked their collective asses off to make this a good match, I am so proud of these VOLUNTEERS, they gave and gave some more. See you guys nexty year for Cowtown 2015! I'll be shooting it beacause it's a fantastic match put on by some fantastic VOLUNTEERS!

Edited by shootingchef