Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DD alpha ShotMaxx Timer

Ken_Bird

Can't find it on the app store. I see it from the link you posted but from my phone there is nothing

They take a little bit to put out the "search" keywords on new apps. That is why I put up the directly link earlier. It looks like it is searchable now. :)

I see it now, thanks. Gotta say I'm a bit reluctant to get the app when I don't have the Bluetooth connectivity figured out but good to see the app is there.

I just sent you an email earlier today. See if the new firmware helps.

Let me know - eli@doublealpha.biz

Thanks,

Eli.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

App looks interesting -- just downloaded it.

Are you planning on having a library of drills for it (as opposed to everybody manually putting in all of the usual drills ourselves :-) )?

Any support for setting up variations of drills? At the moment it looks like the only way to manage that is to enter each variant as a separate drill and distinguish them by their name (e.g. Bill Drill 7, Bill Drill 10, Bill Drill 25 for the bill drill done at different distances). Or is there something that I've missed?

Thanks!

Since there are endless drill possibilities, we leave that to the shooters. That said, the application can be synced to a dropbox account. We at DAA might add some drills to a "public" account and share that account. Problem is that if anyone removes or edits those drills, it will be edited across the board.

I will discuss with Adam from on-core.

Drill variations - if you make a change to a drill, target distance, no. of targets etc - you essentially create a new drill.

Thanks,

Eli.

I downloaded it an played with it a bit. Not bad. Of course, now I come up with a bunch of "good ideas."

Is there a plan to make it so that each shot will be downloaded as opposed to just the total time?

Also, is there the possibility that a person could create a drill or some other event on their computer and download it to the app?

Thanks,

Hi,

You can send individual shots to the application but holding down the light and the rev button until the feedback beep sounds. This will transmit all the shots you have fired to the app and you can export directly from that screen. Note that you can make text comments on each shot fired.

At the moment you can only create drills within the application.

Thanks,

Eli.

ahh, it doesn't download split times for all your shots? that's what's important to me. being able to see my splits and transitions to see where/how i'm improving (or not!).

Version 1.1 (which has been submitted to Apple) will have Split times in addition to the Shot Times (as well as a few other fixes/enhancements). It will only show if you transmit all the shots (Rev + Light) button as Eli mentioned earlier.

So, with the app, is there a way to compare the same drill over multiple sessions? It would be nice to be able to see how you are doing on that drill over time and to quickly see a personal best, etc.

So, with the app, is there a way to compare the same drill over multiple sessions? It would be nice to be able to see how you are doing on that drill over time and to quickly see a personal best, etc.

You can actually achieve that within the current functionality. Setup a "session" with a single drill and shoot it as many times as you want. Then you can sort by score/date/hitfacor/chronological etc.

Easy :)

ahh, it doesn't download split times for all your shots? that's what's important to me. being able to see my splits and transitions to see where/how i'm improving (or not!).

Yes it can. See my comment above.

Thanks Eli. You area champion. :)

Anyone using the android app yet?

I can't seem to get it to receive any data from the device. Then once I leave the session, I can't even get back to the screen with the red record button without creating a new session again.

edit: It seems I can get it to receive data once if I create a new training session, then it won't again.

Edited by waktasz

First thing is to Reboot your Android device. It seems that the Bluetooth goes stupid on them often.

The "Record" button is for "remotely" pressing the Start button on the ShotMaxx. It is generally not needed if you are a single shooter. It is more useful for an instructor when teaching a group of people, so that they can start the SM from the device. Also it is in the "Repetition" screen. Please don't confuse that with the Sessions screen (I know -- semantics, but it's important). You add a Repetition from the Sessions -> Score -> New (button on top right). The important thing is that the ShotMaxx (SM) must have "Send" set to "on" and then when connected to Bluetooth, you will see the SM serial # in a green color in the app. Once that is set, just press the Start button on the SM, record some shots and press Rev. It will send the Last Shot / Number of Shots. To send all the shots press and hold the Rev & Light button simultaneously for 1 second.

I downloaded it an played with it a bit. Not bad. Of course, now I come up with a bunch of "good ideas."

Is there a plan to make it so that each shot will be downloaded as opposed to just the total time?

Also, is there the possibility that a person could create a drill or some other event on their computer and download it to the app?

Thanks,

Hi,

You can send individual shots to the application but holding down the light and the rev button until the feedback beep sounds. This will transmit all the shots you have fired to the app and you can export directly from that screen. Note that you can make text comments on each shot fired.

At the moment you can only create drills within the application.

Thanks,

Eli.

Eli,

All of the above is great information. By doing as you suggested (light button + review) all the shots come in, and the ability to sort works well. This is really a good combination of timer and software...thanks!

Try to find an OS other than Vista. It is the only OS that is NOT supported because it is really bad (unfortunately I'm not joking about this). The only OS that we had issues with was Vista. It may or may not work on Vista. You can try reinstalling the drivers and then make sure to Reboot the computer.

It would be amazing if every time you started and stopped the watch it created a new repetition in the app. That way you don't have to go back to the app, type in the points you shot, save it, then hit new, then do it again. It almost eliminates the usefulness of the app to have to click through the menus so heavily between reps. It would be almost easier to just write the times down on a piece of note paper.

If I was practicing a steel stage for example, I might run it 5 or 10 times before I stop to load mags. You would end up spending more time messing with the app than actually shooting the drills.

It's a GREAT idea and all the features you might want seem to be there, but the user friendliness could probably be improved.

First live fire testing with it is tomorrow then I'll probably do up a review article and video for my site over the weekend.

Edited by waktasz

It's more meant for IPSC instead of Steel. For IPSC, you need to stop and score your targets (A,B,C,D,M,NS). You may also want to send *all* of the shots by pressing the Rev+Light buttons. Only after you've scored and recorded times, you tap on the Save button. To add a new repetition, all you have to do is tap on the + (iOS) or NEW (Android) button. It really cannot get any simpler.

If you want to mock up a Steel event, you should use the Steel Scoring app instead (although you need an iPad for that). It is designed for you to shoot the 5 runs in a row.

The steel thing was just an example. Even when doing USPSA practice I don't score the targets after every run. I usually do a handful of them then go look at the targets.

Actually, I don't really care about the scoring hardly at all. I want to see my time and splits for a run, then reset and run it again. The only change the app needs to accomplish this is to allow me to leave the points field blank so I can start up the next drill without having to enter scores for all the targets. Maybe I'm practicing wrong...

The steel thing was just an example. Even when doing USPSA practice I don't score the targets after every run. I usually do a handful of them then go look at the targets.

Actually, I don't really care about the scoring hardly at all. I want to see my time and splits for a run, then reset and run it again. The only change the app needs to accomplish this is to allow me to leave the points field blank so I can start up the next drill without having to enter scores for all the targets. Maybe I'm practicing wrong...

Yes... you are practicing wrong... :)

Recording time and no scores is like reloading ammo with powder but without primers.

Normally my drills are 2 - 8 shots and on the ipad I can score them in just a few seconds. The extra information about each shot time & score is well worth the extra time.

ShotMaxx Trainer iOS v1.1 is now available for update.

What's new in version 1.1:
- Sticky column header on calculator.
- Warning when removing Shooter or Drill from a Session.
- Misc interface cleanup.
- Added Splits.
Edited by AdamM